Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some Black Metal

• 01-11-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Right.

I have some Mayhem, Darkthrone, Ulver, Burzum, Nargaroth, Emperor, Bathory and Immortal.

Please recommend me more good stuff as I really like what I have and would like a lot more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sigh, Khold, Marduk, Watain, Thorns, Old Man's Child, Melechesh, Gorgoroth, Aborym.

That should do it. ;)

I'm not into the whole BM thing as much as I used to be, so I'm probably not as big a help as I could've been, but there's a few stand-out bands right there.

I'd also suggest getting everything Emperor and Immortal have ever done. Nothing else comes close to those bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Abyssic Hate, Astrofaes, Behexen, Countess, Drudkh, Forefather, Grand Belial's Key, Graveland, Hate Forest, Ildjarn, Krieg, Legion Of Doom, Leviathan(Wrest), Moonblood, Morte Incandescente, Mutiilation, Nachtfalke, Nachtmystium, Nidingr, Nokturnal Mortum, Nortt, (early)Rotting Christ, Sargeist, Satanic Warmaster, Shining, Silencer, Taake, Temnozor, Windir, Xasthur

I've highlighted the very best of those imo, but they're all great. Bear in mind some of them are NSBM, or have NSBM leanings, so if you're easily irritated/offended by that, steer clear I guess. Check them out on the metal archives first if it bothers you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Thanks for all those.

Well the NSBM music wouldn't annoy me, but ya know their ideals kinda do. q:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I love satyricon, dissection & old mans child

I don't pay any attention to whatever they think. Music is music, not politics. I can manage to think for myself, and not rely on some musician to tell me what I believe ;) After all, I've listened to grindcore songs and didn't feel the urge to disembowel anyone :p

• Advertisement

Well i do like Burzum....

OMG i r teh NAZI!

Well, according to ebay you are :D

I can't wait for Varg to get out \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 1349 yet.

Oh I have them too and they are rather good.

They're not bad, just fairly derivative. Frost kicks much posterior though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Lurker of Chalice (I believe it's Wrest under another name) are really great. Kind of hard to find the album as it was only a limited edition but worth tracking down. It's on Southern Lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Enslaved would be my favourite black metal band, although they're not strict black metal, they have more of a progressive feel to them. Eld is a great album.

JoeyD wrote:
    Enslaved would be my favourite black metal band, although they're not strict black metal, they have more of a progressive feel to them. Eld is a great album.

Jesus, I can't believe I forgot to mention Enslaved! Easily one of the best Black Metal bands there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Would Celtic Frost be considered Black Metal?

I doubt they are but you should check 'em out anyway.

Not a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Listening to a lot of Asmodeus these days, brilliant, if unusually brutal for black metal, excellent stuff though. Another vote for Dissection aswell, excellent band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Sigh, Khold, Marduk, Watain, Thorns, Old Man's Child, Melechesh, Gorgoroth, Aborym.

Watain, good man Kenneth!

Jesus, they're some live band I tell thee.

Matt, give Deathspell Omega a listen. I think I sent you a track before, not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I quite like Anorexia Nervosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Undergod wrote:
    I quite like Anorexia Nervosa.

good call, great band. less corny sounding than demon burger (dimmu borgir) imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dathai wrote:
    Matt, give Deathspell Omega a listen. I think I sent you a track before, not sure.
    Forgot about Deathspell Omega, they have some great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the only band that can call themselves Black Metal - Venom!!!

I like Venom. They are not black metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Well they did invent it so yes they are

Well they did invent it so yes they are

They coined the term, sure, but Black Metal today owes a hell of a lot more to Bathory than Venom tbh.

They are a metal band who used the term. They sound nothing like any of the "tr00, grim, necro and kvlt" bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

you could try some abyysos, anaal nathrakh and/or extol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Bathory was mentioned just there, maybe you'd like them. Though they're not exactly black. I'd be wary of recent emperor stuff, check it out beofre you buy, personally I think some of the last albums weren't great. There's always Zyklon though!

Oh and yes, get enslaved!

Geranium wrote:
    I'd be wary of recent emperor stuff, check it out beofre you buy, personally I think some of the last albums weren't great.

I think Prometheus is simply one of the greatest metal albums there is. Phenominal stuff altogether, and I can't recommend it enough.

Emperor's albums are ALL great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Ihsahn are another act that would be in the same vein as newer emperor. He is a kind of one man band who plays black metal with a progressive feel. That seems to be the general direction black metal is going these days, away from the harsh days of mayhem and bathory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Isahn is the man behind Emperor. ;)

Advertisement