Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some Black Metal

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

JoeyD wrote:
    Ihsahn are another act that would be in the same vein as newer emperor. He is a kind of one man band who plays black metal with a progressive feel. That seems to be the general direction black metal is going these days, away from the harsh days of mayhem and bathory.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

:)

You should win post of the year for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

Enslaved freaking rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Emperor's albums are ALL great.

This is the tr00th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Alcest - Le Secret
    Peste Noire - La Sanie des siècles:Panégyrique de la dégénerescence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Peste Noire - La Sanie des siècles:Panégyrique de la dégénerescence

Really good album.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I'm nor sure if Samel qualify as black metal (they've changed a lot over the years) but their recent stuff is pretty great. Operatic without being cheesy. Check out their song Supra Karma :
    http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/11468/samael/Samael-SupraKarma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

h-street23 wrote:
    Enslaved freaking rule!

as someone who has been listening to enslaved all day so far i agree :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

where is this guy from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

You MUST buy some music by Wintersun, they are possibly the best black metal band ever. And don't forget Ill Nath! And I know it's not really black metal, but have you checked out Children of Bodom? Their third album, Follow the Reaper is the best album ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

oops, guy has dissapeared...
    You MUST buy some music by Wintersun, they are possibly the best black metal band ever. And don't forget Ill Nath! And I know it's not really black metal, but have you checked out Children of Bodom? Their third album, Follow the Reaper is the best album ever.

nah, wintersun is not bm. In fact it's a mixture of everything - death, doom, folk, viking, but not black.
    It's Illnath, not Ill Nath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

Enslaved's Isa album is probably the best introduction to BM. They're a very consistent band.All their recent stuff from Blodhemn onwards is great.

But then, I like Babylon 5, so my opinion is not to be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

h-street23 wrote:
    Enslaved's Isa album is probably the best introduction to BM. They're a very consistent band.All their recent stuff from Blodhemn onwards is great.

Enslaved are amazing, but seriously, all their stuff is fantastic, I don't know why you say from Blodhemn onwards is great, because ELD was a phenominal album. Infact, that was my introduction to the band. I'd say you really can't go wrong with any Enslaved album.
    h-street23 wrote:

Babylon 5? Trust this man even more so, he's got remarkably good taste! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lld

to the thread starter:
    sorry, but I think asking for music recommendations in a forum is a bad idea. The outcome is the same every time, every one bombards the thread with the list of their 50 favourite bands, not all of whom will be any good. in no time at all you're left more clueless than when you started.

personally i think a good place to start always is here:
    http://www.anus.com/metal/about/black_metal/

its relatively concise, it cuts out the crap and it highlights who're the best of the best (which always makes for a good place to start)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

lld wrote:
    to the thread starter:
    sorry, but I think asking for music recommendations in a forum is a bad idea. The outcome is the same every time, every one bombards the thread with the list of their 50 favourite bands, not all of whom will be any good. in no time at all you're left more clueless than when you started.

its relatively concise, it cuts out the crap and it highlights who're the best of the best (which always makes for a good place to start)

Right, because some random guy throwing up a site automatically makes his opinion more valid than any poster here...

I could mention the fact that Angelcorpse, Dark Tranquility, Katatonia and Mortiis aren't even BM, yet they're there on the front page. Or that **** BM bands like Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir and Marduk are included.

Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

lld wrote:
    to the thread starter:

Anus.com is probably one of the worst metal sites there is. Cuts the crap? There's more crap than any other site I've seen! It's pretentious, elitist, and on top of that, misinformed.

The guy behind that site wrote a rant about Chuck Schuldiner being a Christian, which has me puzzled, because as a huge fan of Death, I've never once heard of this before, and sure enough when I googled it, the only page that claims Chuck was a Christian was anus.com, which offers absolutely no evidence for the claim, other than an interpretation of the Philosopher's lyrics.

But then again, if you read this, the author of the site also believes, and I quote:
    Vocalist/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner died of AIDS in 2001.

:rolleyes:

Really informed opinions right there.

My opinion: Avoid anus.com at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

h-street23 wrote:
    Dont speak ill of B5 in these halls :)

As for BM, been listening to alot of Die Apokalyptishen Reiter lately, excellent take on black metal, although they virtually completely reinvent their style every album so maybe only 60% of it could even be considered BM, with a lot of it being death, their latest offering "All You Need Is Love" is a superb piece of symphonic death.

Advertisement