Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MX5 Problem?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 91 Jap import MX5 for just about a year now and so far so happy

However I have noticed in the last week or so that after driving there appears to be condensation forming in the boot of the car

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing it and how to stop it, I thought it might be the cold weather but I don't recall having this problem last year, thought it might be a hole in the exhaust but there doesn't seem to be an increase in noise from it?

Any ideas or anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's usually the cold weather that causes this, that and all the warm air going around the cabin while you're driving cooling down when you stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I would have expected that inside the car alright but inside the car is fine

Maybe it is because the boot is better sealed than the cabin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've heard of people having problems like that because of water getting in around the gasket surrounding the rear light clusters which then evaporates due to warmth from the exhaust system underneath and then condenses on the cold boot lid. You can tighten up the nuts ( 2 for each cluster) from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Hi Recliner

Check the battery - if it's a gel-cell (Panasonic or similar), then you're okay, the problem is probably what Alun says (lamp clusters need removed, cleaned,and put back on - that might sort it).

If the previous owner has replaced the gel battery with a standard one, then make sure there are vent pipes running from the top of the battery to the outside of the car (via the boot floor) otherwise the battery causes condensation and eventually lotsa rust.

Gel batteries are about twice the price of standard batteries, so that's why people take that route - although it causes the condensation probs.

BTW MX5 meetup in Phoenix Park, Pope's Cross this Sunday at 12 noon or so in case you want to compare with others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Thanks for the replies guys

Will check that out

My car is in no fit state to meet anyone, some knackers had a go at it and scratched the hell out of it, so it would need some TLC first

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement