Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Fixed?

Options
  • 01-11-2006 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Since the weekend it looks like NTL are peering in Ireland now instead of going inter-railing around Europe.

Pings (for me) have improved drastically, going from 80-120ms to 30ms for jolt.co.uk, with traceroute showing no sign of Amsterdam in the path. :)

Download speeds are also regularly hitting the 680kbyte mark I'd expect for a 6 Meg line. Now if only they'd clarify their cap things would be golden.

Has this been repeated for everyone or just in some areas? (I'm in Dublin city centre, Christchurch BTW)

john

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I was connected to NTL yesterday and it's been crap all that time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Some improvement, but still not perfect.

UK and Irish traffic is peering in the UK now, which is very good for UK sites, but it should really be peering in INEX for Irish sites.

US sites seem to be still going through Holland, not a big deal anyway.

Good start but they need the INEX peering to fix it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

MrPunch wrote:
    Since the weekend it looks like NTL are peering in Ireland now instead of going inter-railing around Europe.

Pings (for me) have improved drastically, going from 80-120ms to 30ms for jolt.co.uk, with traceroute showing no sign of Amsterdam in the path. :)

Download speeds are also regularly hitting the 680kbyte mark I'd expect for a 6 Meg line. Now if only they'd clarify their cap things would be golden.

Has this been repeated for everyone or just in some areas? (I'm in Dublin city centre, Christchurch BTW)

john

No mine is still taking the scenic tour around Europe particularly the Amsterdam route for everything Irish sites UK sites and US sites

At times the delay before it starts loading a page is like being back on dial up.
    Just hope that now that smart have only broadband to think about that they start doing some exchanges but I doubt it.
    NTL is ****ed just waiting for something better to come my way

Advertisement