Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bunny questions???

Options
  • 01-11-2006 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    We got a new tiny 9week old dwarf rabbit on saturday from petstop. I just have a few questions.
    1. She is inside at the moment and in the last few nights it has got very cold but we were planning on putting her outside in her hutch..but as we are in an apartment it is very windy on the balcony and i'm just not sure would she be able 2 handle the cold, any ideas on insulating a hutch, or is this not necessary?
    2. She is on dwarf and junior rabbit 'excel' pellets at the moment, this is different to the one she was on in the pet store so i think she may have a little diarhea, when should we start feeding her carrots etc?
    3. She was fine on sunday and all day monday and wasn't that shy but now she is so nervous and we can't think of anything that made her nevous all of a sudden... any techniques on helping her to trust us...we lie on the floor next to her and talk to her etc.
    4. Does anyone know what the story is with getting her vacinated? Should I bring her to the vet this weekend or leave it a while?

Any other advise would be greatly appriciated...we let her out ofr at least 3 hours in the evening to run around the sitting room, and she DARTS around like a mad thing...Is this a good or bad sign?

Thanks so much for reading all this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Would you consider getting another rabbit as company for her? It sounds to me as if she's scared. I'd be inclined to keep her indoors especially for the winter. That said I've never owned a pet rabbit but I'd love to.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

At the moment it would be too cold to start putting her out now so leave it until May or just keep her as a house bunny. Also if the balcony isn't secured she might be able to get through the bars or even jump over (some buns have been known to jump up to 6 feet although I've only seen them jump about 3 feet but wouldn't suprise me).

Vaccinations should be given wether she is indoor or out.
    The first one is for Myxomatosis this should be given by an experience smallie vet and just give a ring ahead to make sure they have it in stock.

The second vax is for VHD but don't give it until 2 weeks after the Myxomatosis vax because it would be too much for bunnys system to handle.

I would wait until she is 6 months old, then she will can be spayed (if she turns out to be a she stranger things have happened) or neutered. After she is over her op then you could introduce another little bunny friend (if you have plans to get another one they do love bunny company) don't get a guinea pig though (rabbit&pig big no no) Neuter/spay new bunny friend as well.

The runs could be from the sudden change in diet, you might want to get the food she was being fed and mix it with the Excell or if it's been too long just give her a little less and build it up (Excell is one of the best foods if not the best for bunnys).

Give her a small amount of carrot, even just a slice to start off with and once she is used to that introduce other veggies slowly and in small amounts at first. Avoid lettuce esp. iceberg. Green veggies are good but not too much or they can get the runs. Broccoli, apple, pear, grape (although fruit only as a treat) carrot, cauliflower and a small amount of fresh her like oregano, parsely, thyme (only as a treat) is fine once well washed.

The runs should pass, make sure she is drinking plenty of water.
    If the runs continue just feed her on good quality hay and fresh water for a few days and that should clear it up, in the long term though she will need the pellets and veggies of course.

Anything could of scared her mabey loud noise, bangers outside, loud tv etc. She will be fine just a little time is needed if anything finds the way to a bunnies heart it's food :D Sounds like you are doing all the right things so far.

If you have no access to grass try either Timothy hay or Burgess Forage Excel dried grass (the dried grass is very handy to have esp. if you run out of hay when all the shops are closed).

You can insulate a hutch with bubble wrap or get a hutch hugger (if you google it it should come up) but she will become more friendly if she is allowed to live indoors, litter training is easy enough with bunnies.

When she legs it around the sitting room (even the occasional sumersault) that means she's very happy, rabbits love the space and she's just enjoying it. The best thing a rabbit can have is space and they need lots of it, they are very agile and will climb things if they are really nosey.

Sumersaulting bunny with high jumps in the air = very happy bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Guineapigrescue, why do say rabbits and guineapigs shouldn't live in the same run? I've seen them together in petshops and they seem to get on o.k. I'm not nit picking by the way, I'm just curious.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Firdtly thanks for your reply.Do you know good treats to give a bunny? That wont make her sick? she loves to be left out of the hutch and is not scraching to get out all day but when ever i go to pet her or sit beside her she gets annoyed and runs away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

junkyard wrote:
    Would you consider getting another rabbit as company for her?

jesus not when she's only 9 weeks old- she is still too young to definitely tell what gender she is yet.

My rabbit was 9 weeks when I got him- I wanted to get 2 females but the guy in the petshop said there's too much chance that they will turn out to be 2 males (would fight) or a male and a female (......). Just as well, because the "female" bunny I bought grew 2 huge balls a few weeks later!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

junkyard wrote:
    Guineapigrescue, why do say rabbits and guineapigs shouldn't live in the same run? I've seen them together in petshops and they seem to get on o.k. I'm not nit picking by the way, I'm just curious.:)

Main reason is because rabbits have incredibly strong back legs (they can jump 3 times their own height) and could kick a guinea pig to death. A guinea pig can only bite and because of its tiny size would not be able to defend itself against a rabbit. Plus a guinea pig could never outrun a rabbit. Rabbits can be fiercely stubborn, mine is only a dwarf but terrorises my cats- he grunts and snaps at them if they come too near so they are all terrified of him.

Advertisement