Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS and Maps

Options
  • 01-11-2006 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

I'm writing a GPS app and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the story is with maps. After doing a bit of reading I have discovered that most GPS units start off with GDF files and then the manufacturer does what they wish with them. Any idea where I could get optimised maps??? Also I have a pocket streets map of Dublin ( which you can freely download off the website ) but its in a .mps format??? Anyone have any idea of how to take a look at this map??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Microsoft do some form of map service that you can interact with via a web service. Not sure if that will do the trick.

Google maps also has an API that perhaps you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Noo neither of them are what im looking for. Nice one for the suggestions anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

try rummaging around here...

http://www.osi.ie/

Be aware that they own all rights to Maps of ireland (even if you drew it on a napkin), so if it is a product you plan to sell or it is a college project then you need to contact them.

Also as far as I remember a GPS device just passes back your location in plaintext. If you used google maps for example you could write using the API to hook into those maps.

Advertisement