Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stereo in Bathroom

Options
  • 01-11-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just about to tile the bathroom of my new apartment and have thought of putting in sunken waterproof speakers into the ceiling for in-bathroom music.

Have been thinking of putting a car stereo into the bathroom wall to run the speakers,so before i go any further,is this actually possible? I reckon a car stereo will be nice,small and tidy and will sit nicely flush on tiles.I got this idea from a sauna in a mates place.

As I have never fiddled with bathroom electrics or for that matter put in a stereo into a car,how would I go about this or does anyone have any better suggestions?Does a car stereo even use the same voltage?

Forget those shower radios,I haven't found one yet that doesn't look like a penguin or a duck and has a speaker of more than 2watts.

All help appreciated,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Another idea might be to connect it to a television, say in a bedroom and play this. It would work well if you had Sky as there are plenty of radion stations there.

You will need a 12V dc supply for the car stereo. Also because of the depth of it it might be difficult to build into something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

From a safety point of view I'd be inclined to put the stereo out of the bathroom and simply fit speakers in the bathroom. Obviously there will then be a problem with controlling the audio source...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I used car stereo speakers, sprayed white, in the ceiling of the bathroom, and ran the cables baxk to the stereo in the bedroom. I aso bought a switch box that allows me to switch on bathroom speakers, bedroom speakers or both together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 silverb

saw this product in a kitchen/bathroom showroom recently -

http://www.eissa.com/familia.aspx?FamI_IdLogic=C00

dont know how good it is, but it gave reasonable sound when demo'd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I have these speakers installed in my bathroom with the cables ran back to the bedroom where the Sky/DVD boxes are. There I have a Sonic T-Amp powering the speakers and the outputs from Sky/DVD are connected to a switch box to allow me to choose what I want to listen to.

The speakers are of excellent quality and the little Sonic T-amp backs quite a loud punch. Only downside is that the amp runs on batteries but you can purchase a mains adaptor from maplin that will sort out that issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Cheers for the feedback lads,I would defo have to look at keeping it moisture tight.I might drop down to that arctic spas place that do saunas jacuzzis etc and see what they have

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

viking wrote:
    I have these speakers installed in my bathroom with the cables ran back to the bedroom where the Sky/DVD boxes are.

They seem like very good value. I couldn't find any decent bathroom speakers for under €100, excluding delivery from england.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What about using a marine head unit?

Here's Sony's marine units
    http://www.xplodsony.com/marine/headunits

You'd need to make sure that the unit is splash proof. There are likely other manufacturers too that do these.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

saw this product in a kitchen/bathroom showroom recently -

http://www.eissa.com/familia.aspx?FamI_IdLogic=C00

dont know how good it is, but it gave reasonable sound when demo'd

I've put these in bathrooms (including my own), and the sound is decent, especially in a tiled bathroom. They are controlled by a remote so you can change the channel from inside the bathroom. You can pick them up in most electrical wholesalers, the chrome speaker version is around €120.

Advertisement