Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the best mic and other questions.PLZ HELP??

Options
  • 01-11-2006 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi im interested in making rap music but at the momemt i only have a logitech webcam with a built in mic.i dont need anything for making the instrumentals but i will for mixing my voice with them.my voice isnt that bad on the webcam but it needs to be clearer.i dont really have an accent ,thats not the problem.there is also an echo but thats probaly because i live in my attic room and the computer and that are right underneath the ceiling walls.i was looking at something in another post about a usb interface?what exactly is this and how can it help?also what is a voice processor and a voice condenser and how can these help me?and ultimately what is the best mic suited for me?what is a large diaphram mic suited best for and how could it help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Look at the samson audio cou1 as a cheap but apparently competent introduction to condenser mics.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2

It connects to the computer via usb and functions as an audio input device - there is an applet for volume monitoring and gain control.

Otherwise you'll need a condenser mic, xlr lead, preamp with phantom power (to power the mic - some smaller diaphragm ones run on battery akg c1000 is one I think) to get your mic signal to line level and an audio lead from there to your soundcard (probably 1/4 inch jack to 3.5mm jack).
    You could go with a dynamic mic (shure sm58) which will mean your preamp doesn't need phantom power.

Once you have a reasonable mic, the room sound will be by far the biggest issue. Use high tog quilts to dampen echos. Half filled bookcases can be good to diffuse sound reflections and can work as bass traps too. This is very general info . Google sound treatment, flutter echoes, Helmholtz resonator, room modes, etc. for more info on the usual issues and treatments for home recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

If your recording direct to computer, you need a usb (or firewire interface) if you wish to use a pro quality microphone.
    For rapping I wouldn't recommmend a condenser microphone. they tend not to like being handheld and are very sensitive to popping noises. I would recommend a shure sm58. around €100 from http://www.musictechnology.ie/, cost a bit more but are available from most decent retailers. the 58 is very rugged, you will find them in every venue.

Colin in music tech will be able to recommend an interface that suits your budget/computer spec/sonic needs. Budget is the main consideration. the more you spend, the better the quality and more bells and whistles.

All the best

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

Also
    The echo could actually be a delay caused by the computer interface taking time to convert your voice into digital information before recording it onto a track..
    Large diaphragm condenser and vocal condenser will really only make a difference if you are going big budget ( Decent large diaphragm condenser i.e. Akg c414 €1000 Neumann KMS105 €500 and neumann TLM103 €700 are quite expensive and would need to be matched with a "decent" recording system €5000)
    Vocal processing is an important factor. depemnding on the software you are using there may be some "plug-ins" you can use. this is software processing after the recording has been done. Otherwise, have a look into mic pre-amps, your USB interface should have 1 or 2. A compressor is also a useful device which allows you to regulate the dynamic level of your voice, keeping shouts in line with regular vocal levels, get the idea.
    hope this helps
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

j2u wrote:
    i was looking at something in another post about a usb interface?what exactly is this and how can it help?also what is a voice processor and a voice condenser and how can these help me?and ultimately what is the best mic suited for me?what is a large diaphram mic suited best for and how could it help?

USB audio interface: A device that you connect to your computer's USB port that gets sound in and out of the computer.
    Voice processor: A bit of a loose catch all term usually used for a device that deals with vocals in a variety of ways including pre-amp, eq, compression and possibly more. In reality, any software/hardware that is changing or controlling your vocal is a voice processor.
    Large diaphragm mic: this refers to a condenser mic with a large surface active
    area (diaphragm). Very popular for vocals.

Considering what you're using now and what kind of music you're making I'd suggest going with a Shure SM58 too. Great mics. As for a USB interface? Have you got a certain budget?

Advertisement