Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removed from electoral register- appealing

Options
  • 02-11-2006 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I got a letter from the council saying they are deleting me from the register because I was not home whenever those election register people called. I now have 15 days to appeal in writing stating specific grounds.

What grounds can I use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bond-007 wrote:
    I got a letter from the council saying they are deleting me from the register because I was not home whenever those election register people called. I now have 15 days to appeal in writing stating specific grounds.

What grounds can I use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They may have removed you because you are not "ordinarily resident" at the address and may be registered elsewhere.

Have you changed address recently or are you registered at your childhood/parents' (if applicable) address?

Any Co. Councillor or TD will bend over backwards to assist you with this (as they may be rewarded with your vote ;)).

You will get more detailed info here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA23Y1992.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Say that you meet all the criteria set out by law and the constitution (assuming you do -- I'm sure someone can dig up a link to the legislation relating to voting), and that you've been voting for X number of years, and you were merely absent at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When they called round to my house (twice) when I wasn't in, they left a leaflet and form in the letterbox both times. Did you not get these?

I have to say that it wasn't abundantly clear to me when I read the first form that I'd actually be removed from the register if I didn't fill it in, so I ignored it, seeing as I confirmed that I was already on the register online.

When the second note was put in the letterbox it had a separate piece of paper attached warning me that I'd be removed from the register if I didn't reply within x days, and circled in bright red marker pen! Needless to say, I returned it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nothing in the letter box at all. I think I shall give my local TD a shout and see if he can do anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If only all local authorities would do this.

6 people get votes in my house who no longer live there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

ballooba wrote:
    If only all local authorities would do this.

6 people get votes in my house who no longer live there.

I could vote twice I get one polling card with my christian name, and one polling card with my middle name...

It took the cenus for this to get sorted out, the government was working under the assumption I was two people.

If I was on the ball I should have figured out some way to fake my own death and clean up on the insurance...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

****, I've gotten one of these letters, since I've moved in with the inlaws and I've done nothing with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

I was removed from the register even though I have voted at every election since I turned 18.

Was registered (and still voted) at parents' address even though have lived at different address for a number of years. I had not re-registered at new address.

There seems to a general clean up of the register taking place at the moment. The problem is that certain individuals are being disenfranchised while others who would also be expected to receive the de-registration letter have received none.

Methinks a certain amount of voter profiling might be going on now that e-voting is dead in the water.

Perpetual FF government? Not so far-fetched:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rebeller wrote:
    Was registered (and still voted) at parents' address even though have lived at different address for a number of years. I had not re-registered at new address.
    I assume then that when they called at your parents' place they told them that you didn't live there any more? Why would they just remove you for no reason? And in any case, why not just register at your new address and vote there? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

you just need to reply in writing, so they know you exist you don't need to appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Nobody has called to my door about this and I definitely have not gotten anything in the letterbox about it.

On that link posted above it says the provisional register is published online from Nov 1st and can be ammeded until Nov 25th, so can I assume that if I'm on the register currently online today, the 2nd, that I haven't been removed? Or can I sill be removed?

Aaggh they're making it harder to vote not easier!

Advertisement