Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Head Charge - Voodoo Lounge - Nov 3rd

Options
  • 02-11-2006 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Anyone else heading to this. Support from Panic Cell, and Ive never seen AHC before, despite how many times theyve played here. Cant wait it should be an excellent gig!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

i can't go cos i've made other plans, stupid social life!
    but AHC are brilliant live. they blew soil out of the water back in January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Am attending ... along with stp...

Residual Effect are supposed to be decent too ... no idea of other bands barr AHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Dermo wrote:
    i can't go cos i've made other plans, stupid social life!
    but AHC are brilliant live. they blew soil out of the water back in January

Id well believe it man

Spent some time with AHC at their gig last night, which was excellent btw, taught id tell you what happened.

Arrived at the venue at 6pm. Residual Effect were setting up and sitting around drinking water and lucozade. Their lead vocalist seemed to be from Belfast, and they were talking about the jukebox and not knowing when the band was going to arrive because thered been trouble with the buses. I then learned that neither Speed Theory nor Twin Method were on the bill, despite the fact that they were about to sell their merchandise, before putting it back in the box.

Panic Cell and American Head Charge arrived about 7.30pm and their tourbus was massive. Anybody who seen this huge red thing parked outside the Voodoo Lounge on the Quays last night, well that was it, and to get away with paying parking they just left it there for the whole gig blocking up one lane of the road lol! They were just going to packup, and leave for Belfast straight after so they wouldnt see daylight in Dublin.

I was told I couldnt speak with the members of the band officially, but that I might see them wandering around the venue, and sure enough I bumped into Nick (the bands Guitarist) who told me that he was the one who was stepping into really big shoes...since no one can really replace Bryan However, the bands Wikipedia page states Benji Hellberg and Anthony Burke as the bands Guitarists, although Nick said that he had only been in the band about 2 months. Nick also proved to be the most chatty and would go on to tell me that we're writing a new album, which has to be finished by March next year, cause then we're going to tour Australia and Asia. On whether the band would be touring any of the Summer festivals next year, Nick responded not to which I'm currently aware. He also told me the ferry trip was nice, expect it took four hours....we played somewhere in Cardiff last night, which was nice

While talking to Nick, who was drinking a can of Larger at this point, he called out for Justin J. Folwer (Keyboardist) who approached us and signed both my copy of The Feeding and The War of Art. He was a lot more talkative then Nick, and started by saying thank you to you, because without you we would have anything, and I could go and do the ****ing laundry for god's sake, but you guys, you guys make us what we are! and that we played this show last night in Cardiff and Chad kicked over his bass amp before the end, and Cameron got people up onstage and gave them guitars, and we were just so freaking wasted but it was brilliant

At this point Nick walked back over and I asked the band about touring on the road and what coming off was like, to which Justin said oh man, its all true, I mean you have absolutely no concept of time and for us to realise its Friday now (Nick inturpts and says Its Friday) and Justin laughs and says yeah, and you see, thats what I'm talking about. Theres no concept of time and you're just on this incredible low. But this is day 5 of a 35date tour so we should be ok for a while to which Nick added yeah, especially since we got PS2 in every bunk. I commented on the tourbus, and Nick laughs, we went through 3 of those before tonight he says, the first one was too small, the second one broke down and the third doesnt have enough bunks for everyone so some people gotta share...not me though. Folwer pipes in that its ok because they have every season of Family Guy and American Dad on there and recollects the episode where Chris is dragged into the milk display and ends up in an A-Ha video, which brings us to the jukebox.

Folwer spotted it earlier in the night, claiming he just had to liven up this place with a few tunes and when he does get over he runs the risk of being bared, deciding to play out a selection of A-Ha, Justin Timberlake and The Custer Brothers before mentioning that I prefer this stuff right here, and would know more about this stuff right here, then the actual Metal scene and that before a gig, I try not to absorb everything, ill take things in as the night goes on, but I try not to get weighed down at the start of a night with all these problems and little things. He then proceeded to play another song from the jukebox, but sadly there were only Sterling and Dollar notes in his pocket. Imagine having two types of currency and neither works here!

Folwer and I then spend our time checking the line which is forming at the door. Its 8.05pm and the doors should have been opened by now, but due to the bands lateness in arriving it doesnt look as if thats going to happen. As the first few patrons fumble in past the doorman, Justin J remarks that he can cry all night to Country but cant understand some of the clothes he sees here tonight. I ask him about Wikipedia and the lack of photos from the band, and he tells me we dont take many photos, no, but the story the story they have on there is dead on and Id support that 100%. With that, he excuses himself, and proceeds to get a Guiness at the bar. In the meantime Nick has made his way back over and tells us Chad should be around soon, but that Cameron is sleeping until 20mins before the band are due to hit the stage and advises me that if you want an autograph you make sure to go for it, cause he wont wait around. It doesnt look likely either that Drummer Dane Touders or the bands 2nd Guitarist, I persume either Anthony or Benji, will be around tonight before the show.

Residual Effect take the stage about 8.20pm, and there set lasts a good 30mins. Asides from Napalm Death style vocals, the band seem heavily influenced by a mixture of the Death Metal scene. The Drumming of RE also reminded me a lot of Chris Adler from Lamb of God, because of his heavy dependance on the bells. They band struggled with sound problems, and the mix of instruments didnt seem to suit such a small stage, which was to be a prophecy for the night before us. The band thanked the crowd and left, their Snare Drum and Double Bass just a little too heavy for my liking.

[more to follow.........]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Nice one Motley, very detailed report. Fair play.

Devious wrote: »
    Nice one Motley, very detailed report. Fair play.

I came across this by accident, I know it's a few years ago now, but I'm sorry I never finished it. I had the notes written down somewhere and it would have been nice to see. Good set from them anyway as far as I can remember - I miss this band full stop - although in the end it was fairly obvious why they stepped away.

For some reason I'd been convinced I'd seen Twin Method on this bill but I guess my own notes prove not.

Advertisement