Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one not overly impressed with the Wii?

Options
  • 02-11-2006 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is probably tantamount to heresy around here but it all seems a bit gimmicky to me. Aside from Zelda (which I will be getting on the Gamecube) there is nothing at all on the release schedule that I would even consider buying a console for. Nintendo are pinning their hopes solely on a control system which is at the very best untested and while I expect the Nintendo games to be good I'm still doubtful as to what this party publishers will offer aside from token nods towards the control system. The worry I have is that it will end up like the Gamecube and N64 - a small scattering of great Nintendo games with huge gaps between their releases and generic third party multi-platform toss watered down for the Wii.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

That's ok. Its hardly heresy. If you don't dig it, don't buy it. Take your time, see how it goes first.

Could be problematic getting one for a while anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

I had little doubts a while ago, but i just checked out some of the footage on ign/youtube to get me excited again.

If that don't work, i would just remind myself of the faith i have in Nintendo themselves as makers of great games, and how good it must be in order for them to base their whole next gen stategy around it.

It's hardly heresy, though. There's no actual reviews or anything to vouch for it's quality.

I've got a good feeling about it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

i havent paid much attention until now but since viewing the review footage this morning i think it looks pretty good and has a fairly good market position with the PS3 delayed til the new year and the Xbox360 being out almost a year
    i think its going to do very well especially for xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am a natural doubter, until i play a game or two on it i will not buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Don't really have much of an interest in it myself. It will be interesting to see how it fairs (I hope it does well). The control system is refreshing but I can't help but think that it's a novelty that'll wear off very quickly. I can't imagine myself sitting in front of the screen for hours shaking the controller all over the place (that's just me though).

There is also the risk of people viewing it as a current gen console with a new controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Vyse wrote:
    There is also the risk of people viewing it as a current gen console with a new controller.

That's pretty much how I see it. Aside from the control system there's nothing new here and the fact that its only AAA launch title will also be out on the Gamecube seems to reinforce that.

That's pretty much how I see it. Aside from the control system there's nothing new here and the fact that its only AAA launch title will also be out on the Gamecube seems to reinforce that.

Yeah but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. I have a 360 and to be honest the power doesn't give me wood everytime i play or anything.

If people took the efforts they put into making a game look better and put them in gameplay, storyline and innovation i think we'd all be happier gamers.

Who cares if the people's sweat looks real (ok some people do) if the gameplay is sh1te.

Look at guitar hero, simple idea but huge huge fun to play.

As i said though i will not rush out and buy the thing, I will wait and see if it is worth buying

Wii = gamecube power x2 (approx) + new control system + wireless internet + virtual console + ability to use SD memory cards + backwards compatibility + a game development mindset already geared towards innovation thanks to the DS.

The gamecube, while being a commercial failure, was at times a great console. Unlike the gamecube, the Wii seems to have a much bigger level of support from third party developers, which was the gamecube's biggest downfall.

If you view next gen as the next step in graphics then the Wii isn't next gen. Then again neither is the DS. The PSP is really the only next gen handheld.

If you view next gen as new ways to play games, new types of games etc then the DS and the Wii are the only next gen consoles (with brownie points to xbox for its excellent internet play integration).

have to agree with reactor here.

I pray the Wii follows the DS's foot steps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Gamecube wasn't exactly a commercial failure for Nintendo.

Truth is I'll be getting mine purely for Zelda and the first party Nintendo titles. I still think that it will attract a lot of high profile developers who want to try something new. Konami, Capcom and other big japanese companies usually give their high profile producers a lot of freedom and most have expressed great interest in the Wii.

However I think that most people with doubts should wait for the reviews (or think how much fun a drunken warioware session could be).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    If you view next gen as new ways to play games, new types of games etc then the DS and the Wii are the only next gen consoles (with brownie points to xbox for its excellent internet play integration).

You will see "new types of games" on all the next-gen systems. At the moment we're in the middle of a transition, so you're seeing lots of tarted up current-gen games, for want of a better word, but you'll soon see games that truly would only have been possible on the next-gen systems.

Wii offers a new interface as standard and a different canvas for games in that regard. I hesitate to say 'better', but different, certainly. You'll see the same period of transition there too - right now I'm seeing an unfortunate number of games that seem to be just quick current-gen ports with different controls tacked on, but I'm sure that'll change as developers take a purer approach to the system.

In the end, both approaches offer a lot of potential and the potential for new game experiences. PS3 also goes a little way towards blending both approaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If the 360 is anything to go by, next-gen is something that happens toward the middle to end of the consoles lifespan. It certainly hasnt happened in the first launch year. Barring a few nice textures, theres nothing on there that couldnt have been done on xbox 1.

LookingFor wrote:
    You will see "new types of games" on all the next-gen systems. At the moment we're in the middle of a transition, so you're seeing lots of tarted up current-gen games, for want of a better word, but you'll soon see games that truly would only have been possible on the next-gen systems.

Like what???? I struggle to think of any game that couldn't have been done on an older console with worse graphics. Maybe Oblivion and Dead Rising but they are maybes.

Can someone please name some of these titles.

The majority are the same old FPS or third person action adventure/shoot em up, racing game, sports game.

All that has changed so far is tarted up graphics, physics and AI. Nothing really innovative there there still the same ol games just a little more realistic. PC gaming has been doing that for years

Vegeta wrote:
    Like what???? I struggle to think of any game that couldn't have been done on an older console with worse graphics. Maybe Oblivion and Dead Rising but they are maybes.

Can someone please name some of these titles.

The majority are the same old FPS or third person action adventure/shoot em up, racing game, sports game.

All that has changed so far is tarted up graphics, physics and AI. Nothing really innovative there there still the same ol games just a little more realistic. PC gaming has been doing that for years

Uhh, I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying there WILL be games that couldn't be done, in a very fundamental way, on the current gen systems. Future tense. Of course, when that happens, which games that'll be, is something of a subjective matter. Clearly, next-gen games already exist that could not be replicated as is on current gen systems, but I think we are still perhaps waiting for that very fundamentally 'next-gen' game. All I'm saying is, it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    The gamecube, while being a commercial failure, was at times a great console. Unlike the gamecube, the Wii seems to have a much bigger level of support from third party developers, which was the gamecube's biggest downfall.

Exactly the same thing was said about N64 v Gamecube. I'll be buying a Wii for the first party titles alone though.

Tusky wrote:
    Exactly the same thing was said about N64 v Gamecube. I'll be buying a Wii for the first party titles alone though.
    You might be right - time will tell I guess.

I don't think we need to convince people who are unsure anyway. As I said in my first reply - If you don't dig it, don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The worry I have is that it will end up like the Gamecube and N64

I'm kinda hoping it will end up like the DS. Lots of great software as a result of taking the emphasis off technological improvement and putting it on how we interact with the game.

I'll admit I'm less hopeful that this will happen with the Wii but then I didn't think the DS was interesting at all until I started reading all the great reviews.

LookingFor wrote:
    Uhh, I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying there WILL be games that couldn't be done, in a very fundamental way, on the current gen systems. Future tense. Of course, when that happens, which games that'll be, is something of a subjective matter. Clearly, next-gen games already exist that could not be replicated as is on current gen systems, but I think we are still perhaps waiting for that very fundamentally 'next-gen' game. All I'm saying is, it will come.

I know you are agreeing with me but I am just asking do you know of any games coming out that will be completely "next gen" or are you just speculating

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think the Wii will actually surprise alot of people with its capabilities!!

Interacting with games, graphics will be improved upon the gamecube (I think Luigi's Mansion is amazing graphically) and to be honest I think its hat you get out of gameplay thats more important than graphics and the sooner people reasile it the better!!
    Its like buying a new car, you have an old clapped up banger you drive and it does the job and in some respects still amazes you when you drive it but you go out and buy a brand new car and spend a large amount of money for the same drive but because it looks better!!
    Game developers will love the Wii, and the possiblilty with the remote will actually make alot more games possible so we may see alot of new must have titles in the future!!!

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    I know you are agreeing with me but I am just asking do you know of any games coming out that will be completely "next gen" or are you just speculating

I'm speculating in the same way I'm speculating when I say it will rain in Ireland at some point between now and the end of the year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

This new gen war has sort of been a confusing one for me.

I originally opposed the handhelds because I saw both of them as very poor machines at launch, both trying to make games that are not suited for one the go gaming.

Then I picked up a DS due to a sudden surprise influx of money on my part and I really wanted to play Sonic Rush. (I'm an addict for sonic games.)

My Opinion on DS completely turned around, mainly because after the initial launch games all the ones that followed *did* suit on the go gaming.

Picked up a PSP cheap a few months later, and my original opinion still stood with that machine.

On the Wii etc, I was very opposed to all 3 consoles, but a few months ago nintendo did a really good job wooing me when the console got the expose it needed, that excitement has died down alot (and after seeing the launch selection) I am sure I will pick up a Wii, its just a matter of when. (again maybe a Sonic game will push me.)

So I was not excited, not excited, and now am sort of excited (thank you gunstar heroes)

the 360 didnt excite me, again none of the games appealled to me, but Capcom have me interested now with dead rising and the upcoming lost planet, and live is finally going to good places. So wasnt excited and am now interested (but not excited.)

THE PS3 had me when the MGS4 footage was shown off, but has been pouring cold water on me ever since. so thats pretty flacid right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm a PC guy only really, only thing that would get me to a Wii would be a decent Jedi Knight game with the saber controllable by the remote thing.
    Otherwise it's just another console that will float by me in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't know if I'd say I'm unimpressed, but I'm definitely not as certain of it's brilliance as some people seem to be. I'm still not convinced the control method will suit my 'slouched-across-the-sofa-at-the-end-of-the-day' gaming style, and I'm also not that interested in much of the launch beyond Zelda. That price sure is sweet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm not impressed by the WII although the controller is a clever gimmick. They really have let people down with the technical specs of the WII. Even the name is a bad joke. Twice the power of the last one, wow wee! It's ridiculous. All Nintendo care about is milking the Nintendo fan boys of their hard earned cash
    However I think that most people with doubts should wait for the reviews (or think how much fun a drunken warioware session could be).

We were a wee bit drunk alright, good fun though.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Praetorian wrote:
    Twice the power of the last one, wow wee!

Over twice the power, in a size a lot less than half that of GameCube. Quite a technical achievment actually, a lot harder to accomplish than simply jacking up the specs in a massive box like the 360 or ps3

L5 wrote:
    Praetorian wrote:
    Twice the power of the last one, wow wee!

Over twice the power, in a size a lot less than half that of GameCube. Quite a technical achievment actually, a lot harder to accomplish than simply jacking up the specs in a massive box like the 360 or ps3
    its a moot point, console size, while aesthically pleasing is largely irrelevant, as you don't have to carry it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I honestly don't believe that twice the power in half the size box is an amazing technical achievment at all. I think it's most uninpressive considering the major leaps that cpu / gpu manufacturers have made in the last few years. The gamecube was released in 2001, 5 years later (an eternity in computer terms) I would think that between 5 - 10 times the power could have been achieved if they had the imagination, the drive, and the expertise of the other manufacturers. You can argue that keeping the WII cheap is to be commended, but I'm much more impressed by Sony and Microsoft who are pulling out all the stops to make truely next gen hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps pushing at the edge of the envelope when it concerns next gen matters should include more than just graphical grunt? Perhaps people need to broaden their horizons a bit, I mean what matter it that Quake4 is a tad smoother than Doom3 on the previous gen, and Prey not much better? Surely the possiblities of new ways to be engaged by games is what keeps us coming back and for a long time now its been how well a Ferrari is rendered as it speeds around London or New York, or perhaps how well defined the weapons are in your latest FPS, maybe we should consider the value of making us interact with games in a new way as a next gen property?
    Anyway game quality isn't a guarantee even if your console is a HD capable super powerful doohickey, as the 360 has shown stinkers are everywhere, lack of developer imagination and constrained development time lead to many disappointments and don't think the PS3 will be immune.
    At least Nintendo are charging a fair price for the Wii and not taking the michael like Sony, its the only thing about the PS3 thats putting me off buying one at launch, well that and the fact that most releases will be shared with the 360 and I have one of those!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Praetorian wrote:
    I honestly don't believe that twice the power in half the size box is an amazing technical achievment at all. I think it's most uninpressive considering the major leaps that cpu / gpu manufacturers have made in the last few years. The gamecube was released in 2001, 5 years later (an eternity in computer terms) I would think that between 5 - 10 times the power could have been achieved if they had the imagination, the drive, and the expertise of the other manufacturers. You can argue that keeping the WII cheap is to be commended, but I'm much more impressed by Sony and Microsoft who are pulling out all the stops to make truely next gen hardware.

The technical achievement is that in the size of the console given its twice the power of the Gamecube and the fact that it requires less power than the gamecube did.

It being small will be useful to some people and it not using much power is of benefit to anyone who pays electricity bills. Probably not by much but hey they aren't Jesus or anything.

The Wii isn't supposed to be cheap for what it is. It isn't a bargin bin console. It is cheaper than the rivals and it offers a new way to play. They have something worth money, an idea and from preorders and media reviews on it, that makes it worth the price to a lot of people.

Advertisement