Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii Virtual Console games & pricing

Options
  • 02-11-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Nintendo has announced the Virtual Console lineup for 06 in Europe, and pricing:
    NES
    Baseball
    Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    Ice Hockey
    Mario Bros.
    Pinball, Soccer
    Solomon's Key (Tecmo)
    Tennis
    The Legend of Zelda
    Urban Champion
    Wario's Woods

SNES
    Donkey Kong Country
    F-Zero
    SimCity

N64
    Super Mario 64

Sega MegaDrive

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Altered Beast
    Golden Axe
    Columns
    Gunstar Heroes
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Space Harrier II
    Toe Jam & Earl
    Ristar
    Dr. Robotonik’s Mean Bean Machine

Turbografx (PC Engine)
    Bonk’s Adventure
    Super Star Soldier
    Victory Run
    Bomberman '93
    Dungeon Explorer

And here's the sticky bit..pricing:
    The titles will be available to download using Wii Points. NES games will cost 500 Points (€5), Turbografx games will cost 600 Points (€6), SNES and Megadrive games will cost 800 points (€8), and N64 games will cost 1000 Points (€10).

€5 as a flat fee for every NES game seems a bit much when PSone downloads will start at the same price on PS3, IMO. €8 each for Megadrive games seems even worse to me given that you can get Sega's Mega Collection of 32 megadrive games on PS2 for €25 or so!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

8 euro is nothing. How many pints is that. Its a chinese or an indian.

In a perfect life they'd be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Vegeta wrote:
    8 euro is nothing. How many pints is that. Its a chinese or an indian.

In a perfect life they'd be free.

Thing is, some people do play them free, illegally. Piracy is driven by cost first, then convenience. Wii has the convenience thing down pat, but I think it they want to persuade pirates into the light, a lower tier of pricing would have been better. (I am not advocating piracy here at all, just to be absolutely clear..just recognising there is a problem, and an opportunity with services like this to combat it if the price is right).

On a general note, 8 euro over and over adds up. Particularly when you consider the relative value against products offered before, like those collections that have many more games for €20 or €30. Can't complain so much about SNES games simply because they weren't available like that before, I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do think it's a bit much as well. I've also heard a rumour that Europe could possibly be only getting the PAL versions of these games meaning 16% slower and dirty borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sensible soccer on the mega drive please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i second that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Horribly over priced, you can get many of those games on ebay for cheaper.

Sony hates europe but Nintendo loves us eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well at least we get the console before chrimbo and they aren't closing down importers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

thirded.

Tbh the only thing on that list i'd pay for is Gunstar heros, and i'd part with 8Euro for that.

Wonder what the prices are in sterling....

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Well at least we get the console before chrimbo and they aren't closing down importers.

They already had their go http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=1757

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think the price is a too high but I might buy one or two if I get a Wii just for the craic. It certainly won't be something I'll do to often with those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GUNSTAR HEROES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I think the prices are grand, I intend to be as picky as I am with Xbox Live Arcade. Some classic games will be must-haves. If Goldeneye were to appear, I think many of us would explode in showers of creamy...gaming fun.

i'll probably get lynched for this but Goldeneye has aged incredibly badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    i'll probably get lynched for this but Goldeneye has aged incredibly badly.

Your right though, it's uuugggh.

Advertisement