Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Accidents and Safety

Options
  • 02-11-2006 12:11pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having met someone over the weekend who was seriouly injured in a shotgun accident (20 bore cartridge in to a 12 bore and a 12 bore catridge down behind it) I thought it would be a good time to remind everyone to stay safe. Its also about this time of year that a freind of my family was killed in a hunting accident.

Remember that it only takes a seconds lapse in concentration or a bit of complacancy and the worst can happen.

Came accross this thread as well, luckily no one was hurt:
    http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=44529

but id say someone easily could have been:

396_Pic2_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The other big cause of burst barrels, and that picture above shows a typical example, is barrel obstructions near the muzzle end, the classic case for hunters is getting dirt in the muzzle when the gun is placed on the ground for a moment. Moral of the story being keep the muzzle out of the dirt, and pay attention when loading (in a break barrel shotgun at least) that the barrel is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

civdef wrote:
    The other big cause of burst barrels, and that picture above shows a typical example, is barrel obstructions near the muzzle end, the classic case for hunters is getting dirt in the muzzle when the gun is placed on the ground for a moment. Moral of the story being keep the muzzle out of the dirt, and pay attention when loading (in a break barrel shotgun at least) that the barrel is clear.

yup its a little tougher with a semi auto alright. Whenever i suspect even a spec of dirt has fallen into my barrel i unload, check its truly unloaded and then look down the barrel. Hate doing that but i'd rather that than a trip to A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Vegeta wrote:
    yup its a little tougher with a semi auto alright. Whenever i suspect even a spec of dirt has fallen into my barrel i unload, check its truly unloaded and then look down the barrel. Hate doing that but i'd rather that than a trip to A&E

Same here with the barrel checks.

A few years ago I was out shooting with a friend and as we were walking down a lane we met a couple of kids (14-15 yo) who were messing about with a 410 shotgun. My mate knew them and their dad, the farmer whose land we were on. Couple of days later the mate phoned me to say that one of the kids had been seriously injured with the gun. Turns out he was cleaning the barrel with toilet tissue which jammed inside. He rammed more and more down the barrel but it wouldn't dislodge so he loaded it up and fired to unblock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

He rammed more and more down the barrel but it wouldn't dislodge so he loaded it up and fired to unblock!

It's a fairly common (universally unsuccessful) tactic and not just with kids!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Nearly happend to me with a Styer/5.56. Had it on my back on a range and the firing point was covered in gravel. I was spotting for someone and after i got up i checked the muzzle to find a stone lodged accross the front of the flash hider. Had to use a pliars to get it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

quite from a friend of mine to another board..
    Wear your %$&**# safety glasses!
    And don't shoot crappy old milsurp guns. I had the opportunity to do first aid on a guy at the range today who had a KB! with his broomhandle mauser. The bolt sheared right off the frame and struck him on the head. He ended up losing his right eye. I'm not sure if safety glasses would have helped, but we will never know now.

I was meant to be up at the range that day but got sidetracked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah glasses are a big one. I ranted on at a couple of guys I was showing how to use pistols about how important the glasses are. I then proceded to take a shot on a Sig Mosquito without my glasses and got sprayed in the face with somthing very very hot!

Advertisement