Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guys, do you were a vest?

• 02-11-2006 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, cold day today, I'm in a small office with central heating rather than air-con. So I wear a shirt and tie but I'm freezing here today.

My question is do any of you guys were a vest under your shirt? Do guys were vests these days?

I've not worn one since I was a kid but it's so cold here today I may even go out and buy thermal long-johns :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

never have but thinking the same thing after today?

Looks a bit gammy if seen through a shirt though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Since I got icicles on my nips last week, I've started wearing them :D

I'm also considering Long Johns as the twins are rather cold too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

weat a v-neck t-shirt instead if you want.
    You'll only kinda see the cut off areas near the end of the sleeve.
    Looks better than seeing the vest shoulder straps I think.

Anyway, I actually only wear t-shirts under my shirts during the summer, as I usually sweat a bit during the hot weathr, and the t-shirt helps prevents and sweat stains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RAHEEN

I'm also considering Long Johns as the twins are rather cold too.

I hate those they are too bulky. A Friend of mine recomended Tights instead. They are extremely warm under Trousers, less bulky by far and no one needs to know you are wearing them at all.

Jockeys swear by them and I use them in very cold weather myself and find that they do the trick just fine. Who cares if they are "for" women ? they are just clothes after all :o

I Always wear a vest in the Winter - Thermal Short sleeve ones cheap in Pennys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

yeah, yesterday was crappy

gonna get a thermal tshirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You could wear a jumper over your shirt and tie instead. Thats what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

RAHEEN wrote:
    I hate those they are too bulky. A Friend of mine recomended Tights instead. They are extremely warm under Trousers, less bulky by far and no one needs to know you are wearing them at all.

Follow this advice if your a loon. If your workmates see them your life would
    become a living hell. You would probably get a nickname that would follow
    you around for the rest of your life.

As for vests, i have started to wear them, not because of the cold but because people are always telling me that if i dont keep warm (normaly
    i would only be wearing a t-shirt in weather like this) i will get arthritis
    when i get old. My mother has it and it looks very painful.
    So yes, when the weather gets frosty you should wear a vest,
    even if you dont feel the cold, it still affects your bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well personally I think vests look pretty stupid if they are visible under a shirt.

1) We are not allowed to wear a jumper over our shirts...apparently it doesn't look professional, yet we hardly ever have clients in the office...go figure!
    2) Tights: Many military forces wear tights under their clothing for warmth in cold weather. Since my legs are not cold I won't be trying them on anytime soon:) Incidentally, tights are an excellent tool for shining boot leather ;)

I might try a thermal V-necked T-shirt of some sort, we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I couldn't bring myself to wear a vest, but if it's cold I'll wear a t-shirt under my shirt.

Can you not buy thicker shirts, or would this go against company policy?
    There must surely be nice shirts you can wear at the office that
    are made from heavier material that a vest cant be seen through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I wear a thermal vest from the Patagonia store. Super toasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

r3nu4l wrote:
    Okay, cold day today, I'm in a small office with central heating rather than air-con. So I wear a shirt and tie but I'm freezing here today.

My question is do any of you guys were a vest under your shirt? Do guys were vests these days?

I've not worn one since I was a kid but it's so cold here today I may even go out and buy thermal long-johns :)

Same as, t-shirt under a shirt if I'm cold enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No but strangely enough because I never actually thought about it rather then choice. Might even buy a few tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Jeez, its been cold for two days only and even at that the temperatures haven't dropped that low yet. You're all very delicate aren't you:p
    Men wearing vests under their shirts always reminds me of my Dad, who btw is 66. Do you really want to be reminding girls of their old dads when they look at you:D Wear a coat to work with a jumper if necessary. Then when you arrive at your office and you're made to take off the jumper get them to turn the heat up to keep you warm. Also thank your lucky stars you don't live in a country with proper cold winters with snow;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Stephen12

Hardly ever wear anything under my shirt, only on extremely cold days if I'm not allowed wear a jumper. These last few days beginning to get so. Try not to though

kizzyr wrote:
    Jeez, its been cold for two days only and even at that the temperatures haven't dropped that low yet. You're all very delicate aren't you:p
    Men wearing vests under their shirts always reminds me of my Dad, who btw is 66. Do you really want to be reminding girls of their old dads when they look at you:D Wear a coat to work with a jumper if necessary. Then when you arrive at your office and you're made to take off the jumper get them to turn the heat up to keep you warm. Also thank your lucky stars you don't live in a country with proper cold winters with snow;)

Well it's 1C here now and the heating is up full and I'm warm...but only because today I'm wearing a heavier shirt and a T-shirt under it :p

Your point about your Dad is exactly why I was wondering do any young guys wear vests. My Dad is the same, so I can't imagine me donning a vest anytime soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I never have, but I'm guessing I'd be glad of it if the building was ever getting taken over by terrorists.

I never have, but I'm guessing I'd be glad of it if the building was ever getting taken over by terrorists.

You'd have to have two or three vests of different colours as Bruce Willis wore several in that Die Hard movie thanks to continuity errors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I wore a jumper and jacket in today. Its only for when I'm outside though. I take the jumper off when I come in. Reason state above about vests and your dad is why I have never worn one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

thrill wrote:
    normaly
    i would only be wearing a t-shirt in weather like this.

what, outdoors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

nope i dont wear a vest under my clothes..gets way to hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

r3nu4l wrote:

The only bloke i've met that was my age (25) who wore a vest coincidentally wore Y-fronts. He is the biggest anaorak I have ever met.

Older people 50+ tend to weat them but when it comes to Fashion just wear two t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Im a young man(21) and I wear a vest all the time. There so comfortable. I dont know why men dont wear them any more. Hats as well! unfortunately i dont have the balls to try a trilby but wouldnt we all be better off if men still wore hats? Oh and if you can see the vest through your shirt I suggest you invest in some better quality shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

thrill wrote:
    As for vests, i have started to wear them, not because of the cold but because people are always telling me that if i dont keep warm (normaly
    i would only be wearing a t-shirt in weather like this) i will get arthritis
    when i get old. My mother has it and it looks very painful.
    So yes, when the weather gets frosty you should wear a vest,
    even if you dont feel the cold, it still affects your bones.

Cold weather does NOT give you arthritis ,where in Gods name did you pick that one up.In fact it is not even fully know yet what the exact cause is.If you already suffer from arthritis yes cold weather can be painfull on the joints but it certainly does not cause arthritis.

Anyway, yes i wear a thermal vest in the winter especially if im going to be spending sometime outside.

r3nu4l wrote:

As long as you wear a light T shirt under your shirt ( a darker Shirt) no one will notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I don't need a vest, but if I was cold, I'd wear one. F@ck what anyone thinks. There's nothing worse than being cold and uncomfortable. Gets to the stage where all you think about is the fact that you're cold and uncomfortable. Vests are better than T-shirts because when you do warm up, you get sweaty armpits under a T-shirt. Like they say in Swedan (I think),"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes." Bollix, but some truth in it:D

I might try a thermal V-necked T-shirt of some sort, we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Why a v neck round neck jaust as ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Stephen12 wrote:
    I might try a thermal V-necked T-shirt of some sort, we'll see.

Why a v neck round neck jaust as ok[/QUOTE]
    If you don't year a tie and have your top button open a v-neck looks better. If it's cold I'll wear one, it's as simple as that, t-shirts tend to be bigger and less comfortable under shirts, a test will look better and not affect the share of the shirt.

Nula wrote:
    what, outdoors?

Yep. Recently with a vest a vest. I hardly ever feel the cold. I must admit people seem to find it odd, but thats not my fault. I know someone who is the complete opposite. She wears cardigans and heavy cloths during the summer. Very susceptible to the cold, even on the hottest days.

padi89 wrote:
    Cold weather does NOT give you arthritis ,where in Gods name did you pick that one up.In fact it is not even fully know yet what the exact cause is.If you already suffer from arthritis yes cold weather can be painfull on the joints but it certainly does not cause arthritis.

Anyway, yes i wear a thermal vest in the winter especially if im going to be spending sometime outside.

Old folk keep on telling me to put jumpers and coats on or ill get arthritis when i get older. If your right then maybe i can dispense with the vests altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't wear vests but I'll generally stick a tshirt on under shirts/polos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Babybing wrote:
    Im a young man(21) and I wear a vest all the time. There so comfortable. I dont know why men dont wear them any more. Hats as well! unfortunately i dont have the balls to try a trilby but wouldnt we all be better off if men still wore hats? Oh and if you can see the vest through your shirt I suggest you invest in some better quality shirts.

I think vests are lame and unsexy. However, I can't agree more on the hat angle; Why don't people wear hats anymore? It would be a better world if a man was expected to wear a hat as part of his normal winter wear.

a test will look better and not affect the share of the shirt.[/QUOTE]

How do you mean?

I think everyone on this thread should get together for a test or experiment to see who the tough guys are and sort the men from the boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Never wear vests, sometimes undershirts

Advertisement