Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breitling Navitimer Heritage

• 02-11-2006 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting this watch and I'm wondering what options I have.

I friend of mine recently bought a Bvlgari Ergon in Weirs & Sons but found it a grand cheaper online later. I've heard people use the arguement that when buying a luxury watch they like to get it from a reputable jewellers but I don't really see the point in paying more than I have to.

So what would be my best bet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Baz99

Hi there, I bought an Omega watch from amazon.com for €1400 - saw same watch on Grafton St (cant remaember jewwellers name) for €2600. Only difference internet watch did not come with papers - but it is a genuine omega watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Baz99 wrote:
    Hi there, I bought an Omega watch from amazon.com for €1400 - saw same watch on Grafton St (cant remaember jewwellers name) for €2600. Only difference internet watch did not come with papers - but it is a genuine omega watch.

What's the downside of not having papers?

I.E. Does it mean you don't have a waranty or does it prevent you from insuring the watch on your house insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

If you are abroad you will be able to pick them up cheaply aswell.. well not cheap but you get my drift. My dad has one of these http://www.bookofjoe.com/2005/05/breitling_emerg.html , and I'd hate to think what it costs here. He got his in Gran Canaria. There are alot of reputible Jewellers around the same area as the Gran Hotel in Costa Melonoras

TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Baz99

It means that there is no warranty from the manufacturer, but the website offered its own warranty check it out here.
    http://www.jomashop.com/jomainfo.html#warranty

Just to be clear my watch was bought from this crowd via amazon.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I've recently been looking at ebay for a Seiko Artura watch. I'm just worried about spending such an amount on a watch from the internet. Will a jewellers like Weirs check it's authenticity when I receive it? The prices that are charged in stores here really put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

FX Meister wrote:
    I've recently been looking at ebay for a Seiko Artura watch. I'm just worried about spending such an amount on a watch from the internet. Will a jewellers like Weirs check it's authenticity when I receive it? The prices that are charged in stores here really put me off.

So, you want to buy off the Internet because you don't want to pay Weir's prices, but you then want Weir's to authenticate the watch to prove that you were right not to buy it from them in the first place? Are you off your chuck?

Baz99 wrote:
    It means that there is no warranty from the manufacturer,

I got a quote from watchfinder.co.uk and they say they supply papers

Breitling Navitimer Heritage A35350 black
    Box Yes
    Papers Yes
    Warranty Yes
    Retail Price £ 3220
    Watchfinder Price £ 2575

@ f/x rate of 0.669529

€3845.99

Weir's price is €4810

Is there a downside to buying from Watchfinder's that I'm missing? For instance duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

PH4T wrote:
    I got a quote from watchfinder.co.uk and they say they supply papers

Breitling Navitimer Heritage A35350 black
    Box Yes
    Papers Yes
    Warranty Yes
    Retail Price £ 3220
    Watchfinder Price £ 2575

@ f/x rate of 0.669529

€3845.99

Weir's price is €4810

Is there a downside to buying from Watchfinder's that I'm missing? For instance duty?

The downside as I see it would be, if there is an issue or problem then you are dealing with an online entity. No duty from UK. Bear in mind weirs will do 10% discount off the bat and 11-12% if you really push hard. 11% would make the weirs price €4280. Watchfinder price at an exchange of 1.52 or so would be €3950. For the sake of €330 I'd buy it in person from a jewellers.

The first link you posted mentioned they give free servicing for life - well given that a service from the manufacturer costs around €200 - I cannot see how this is viable, given they recommend a service every two years.

You buy online and are positive it's the real deal but in some cases amazon.com one it did not come with papers - well if it's real why no papers? Bear in mind that no high end watch manufacturer authorizes the sale of it's watches online and place disclaimers urging you to only purchase from an authorized dealer:

http://www.rolex.com/en/ - see the disclaimer

Finally some of the fakes/replicas are exact i.e. same size, same weight, swiss movement in some cases, fake papers and boxes etc. so only way to be sure is have it opened and verified. The online retailer is not buying from the manufacturer so may have the best intentions but could be offered fakes by unscrupulous distributors. Fake waterford crystal was on sale in shops unbeknownst to the shops a while back!

For the money involved I'd prefer to have cast iron authenticity. If a watch is on sale for €2000 it costs the jewellers around 45% of the retail price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Four and a half grand for a watch? I didn't realise P. Diddy had a boards account.

magpie wrote:
    Four and a half grand for a watch? I didn't realise P. Diddy had a boards account.

P. Diddy?!? Ah you were one of the unfortunates not to open a SSIA account :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the only way to be sure you are getting the real deal is to buy from an authorised dealer.

i was tempted to give my money to watchfinder.co.uk for my omega seamaster (€1400) but there was €400 euros in the difference between watchfinder and weirs, weirs knocked off €150 as i said i'll pay by cash so for €250 extra i bought from a reputable source, have papers and warranty card and had no fear about whether it would arrive or not.

also i don't know if watchfinder quoted you the percentage charge they have if you pay by credit card, i think it's something like 2%. that will add another £51sterling on to the price which is another €100 give or take.

gonk wrote:
    So, you want to buy off the Internet because you don't want to pay Weir's prices, but you then want Weir's to authenticate the watch to prove that you were right not to buy it from them in the first place? Are you off your chuck?
    I'm not off my chuck but I will push my luck. I'll just explain I'm buying it off a guy who says he bought it in Weirs and I just wanted to make sure it was authentic before I paid the full amout to him. It works most of the time.

Cremo wrote:
    the only way to be sure you are getting the real deal is to buy from an authorised dealer.

Quite a lot of negativity towards an online transaction.

The other option, as NeMiSiS mentioned, would be to find an authorised dealer abroad.

What countries would be suitable? Are there duty free zones where the watch would be cheaper?

well the only reason there's negativity towards is i'd personally hate it if i bought an expensive watch online only to find out it was a fake, and i wouldn't wish it upon anyone else tbh.

with regards to authorised dealers aboard get some of the numbers of UK dealers off the breitling website. ring them and see how much they'd be. they will perhaps be cheaper considering the tax rates. you could fly over and back for less than 100 euros too. Germany could be an option too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Guv

FX Meister wrote:
    I'm not off my chuck but I will push my luck. I'll just explain I'm buying it off a guy who says he bought it in Weirs and I just wanted to make sure it was authentic before I paid the full amout to him. It works most of the time.

However all these watches have unique serial numbers and if they really wanted to know they could ascertain which route the watch took upon leaving the factory. They could certainly ascertain whether or not they sold the watch in the first place. Bear in mind as well that they only way to tell the good fakes is to open them up and most sales people working in these shops will not do this and do not have a clue about the watches highlighted by the fact that most will not know the prices off the bat.

I personally would not roll the dice on this issue but opt for the best price from an authorised dealer.

Not saying that everything online is fake as this is obviously not true and if fakes are so good is it beyond the realms of possibility that a quality fake could end up in an authorised dealers shop?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Check out www.timezone.com , there is a traders section there . There are watch collectors moving on watches every day , most of them are trustworthy .

bedlam wrote:
    * Depending on how old or popular the watch is you may get a better discount or free straps, tshirts, books thrown in to sweeten the deal.
    That sounds really dumb. If I buy a new watch I hardly want a free strap. Or a T shirt or book for that matter.

sharkman wrote:

Thanks Sharkman.

He's selling that watch for $2650 shipped and insured. It looks in perfect nick.

Weirs quoted me an initial price of €5,140 ($6500) for the Navitmer World.

That's an option I hadn't considered, getting it second hand, I suppose it has similiar drawbacks to buying new online.

Any thoughts?

What about going outside the EU.

Could I then buy it duty free?

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote:
    If you were getting an AD to post it to you, you will get stung for Import Duty/Tax.

Visiting the AD in person, you'd want to factor in flight and accommodation to see if it was cost effective to do.

I meant if I was to visit them in person. Say I went to New York and bought it from an AD there. Does that mean I would be exempt from the tax which I assume is about 20%?

PH4T wrote:
    I meant if I was to visit them in person. Say I went to New York and bought it from an AD there. Does that mean I would be exempt from the tax which I assume is about 20%?
    yes you would so long as you like wear the watch upon returning to ireland (ie. make it look like it's not new (take tags off obiviously :p)), split up the packaging ie. have some in the hold and some in carry on luggage or have the packaging fed-ex'd or UPS'd to your address (assuming someone would be there to accept it).

Cremo wrote:
    yes you would so long as you like wear the watch upon returning to ireland (ie. make it look like it's not new (take tags off obiviously :p)), split up the packaging ie. have some in the hold and some in carry on luggage or have the packaging fed-ex'd or UPS'd to your address (assuming someone would be there to accept it).

What is the nearest country that I could do that in? In terms of flying from Ireland.

I think I have found the best option to get the watch. A friend of mine has an uncle who works in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. He's coming home for Xmas and I got him to check the price there. It's roughtly €3,300 compared to €4,800 in Weirs.

I'm probably going to go ahead and get him to buy it for me unless anyone can see any problem in doing this?

No problem there , just make sure they stamp the Internationl Warranty .

Update

I got the watch recently.

I tried to put it on my contents insurance at home and the insurance company want a certificate of valuation. I called Weirs to see if they could do this and they said they can. But they said it costs 5% of the value of the watch. This seems a bit ridiculous for them to stamp a piece of paper.

Is there anywhere else I could get this done?

Advertisement