Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which mountain bike for fun-E350

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I have an 06 Trek 3900, bought it earlier this year for commuting and beginners MTB, really like it and looks the business in black. For that money you should look at some of the cheaper Giants too, it's probably personal preference as to which is better. Remember to keep some of your budget for accessories (lights, mudguards, lock, helmet etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hey,

I've seen that second-hand bike you're on about for sale for several months now. It's grand - The only crap thing about it is the forks (They're absolutely crap). If I were you I'd offer the seller of the Kenesis yoke 275 and spend 75 buying a second-hand set of Marzocchi forks instead (I've bought 2 pairs under 100 recently). You'd have a great bike then - Much better than anything new for the money.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

Thanks for the info lads. I had checked out the shocks earlier and every review said that they were gash!!! I will offer the seller 275 and hope for the best!! Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I bought an '06 3900 with a friend of mine this year, he's really enjoying it. Has the same colour scheme as my '04 4300.

This blog post might be of some use:
    http://sportcrazy.net/cycling/5-steps-to-buying-the-right-bicycle/

btw your other option on the forks is to get a Kona Project 2 (rigid) fork - they're getting rave reviews from everyone I've talked to about them. Much better than a low end suspension POS.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Yeah - I'll second the P2 recommendation too. I have a set here that I had on my Fire Mountain (now sold) - I'll be putting them straight onto the next hardtail bike that passes through my hands with a POS bouncy bouncy pogo-fork on it. :D They'd look savage on that polished aluminium frame too - And really suit the spec in general. Good thinking Al

Oh, if you're buying a set of them - Buy online. You'll get 'em for around 60 notes delivered from the interweb, but 95 or thereabouts if you pick them up from the Dublin stockists! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I was looking at the 3500 as an entry level machine before for a relative - it's not too bad and saves you shelling out for a cr@ppy suspension fork. Yeah the components aren't great, but it's damn cheap.

FRAMESET:
    FRAME: Alpha aluminum
    Men's and women's frames available in both colors.
    FORK: High tensile steel ATB

WHEELS:
    WHEELS: Alloy hubs; Matrix 550 rims; 14G spokes
    TIRES: Bontrager Connection Trail, 26x2.0"

DRIVETRAIN:
    SHIFTERS: Shimano EF29
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano C051
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano TX50
    CRANKSET: SR XCC100 48/38/28
    CASSETTE: SunRace 13-30, 7 speed
    PEDALS: Nylon platform

COMPONENTS:
    SADDLE: Bontrager Sport
    SEATPOST: Bontrager
    HANDLEBARS: 30mm rise
    STEM: 40 degree
    HEADSET: Semi-cartridge, sealed
    BRAKESET: Alloy linear pull w/alloy levers

If you want to upgrade you have some good options:

- the frame is half decent so you could upgrade fork and components and then frame at a later date; or

- sell it on 2nd hand for 25-75% price depending on how much you used it; or

- you spent less than 300 quid all told so just give it to someone as a present if you buy yourself something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

Thanks for the advice lads. I was happy with the set up on the second hand bike and all components were in good condition so I bought it for E300. I will take it for a proper spin at the weekend and then consider upgrading the shocks if necessary.

Advertisement