Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that work in the USA but never here!

Options

Comments

Them segway things. Actually, they'd be great. Can you imagine a knacker stealing one and making his way down the street on it?

Uhm.. I once saw a drive-through ATM machine over there. How odd.

I suppose you can somewhat count shorts. Irish people wearing them is a scary sight sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Idbatterim wrote:
    Hooters, was over there thinking this would never work in Ireland, maybe im wrong!

Only read the first page, so not sure if it was said before, but I think there is a Hooters in Kildare/Meath, can't remember the name, but quite near Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by boneyarsebogman

Did you notice that the numbers have braille on them?
    That always makes me laugh! Blind man wakes up one morning says "I need some cash" steals neighbour's Caddilac and drives to ATM.

ROFFLES!
    Posted by Demetrius Cadillacs and outdoor hottubs. Don't really have the style or weather for either.

Dem, they have lots of outdoor hottubs in Wisconsin and our weather is very similar to yours. Folks actually DO use them in the winter! FREAKS!

This Thread ROCKS! I'm laughing my a$$ off!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,864 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

c - 13 wrote:
    Theyve got greeters in some Claires Accessories too. I dont like greeters, its a nice idea but make people feel uncomfortable.

They only make Irish people comfortable because god forbid anyone could be nice to you when you enter a shop.

I've worked in retail both here and America for years and the 'foreigners' have no problem saying a polite 'Hello' back. The Irish on the other hand look for a hidden sinister meaning to what is only a gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

iFight wrote:
    Ice Tea would so work over here, it's lovely, just not available.
    Lipton launched iced tea over here. Everyone bought it once, realised that hot tea with milk > iced tea and never bought it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

The Dollar Cinema: featuring films that have just ended their run in cinemas, available to view in a small cinema for $1. Knackers would be on that like **** on a stick in Ireland. I mean, if they regularily spend up to 10 Euro just to act like dicks, a 1 Euro cinema would be crawling with them. :(
    Steyr wrote:
    Am "Tipping"..I was in NY with some mates a few months ago and they ask for Tips for EVERYTHING, one of the lads got pissed off with this barman who we tipped ( supposedly a 5dollar tip is not enough ) for getting us our drinks. He was mad at getting just a 5dollar tip for serving 5 lads a round of beers that he actually would not serve us for the rest of the night.
    That's ridiculous! Here in Montreal, you're generally expected to tip $1 for every pint, which is something over $5 before tax. I suppose that the wage structure is very different, leading to higher tips in American bars as a necessity. Still though, I've talked to a good few Americans over here and they tell me that they rarely tip over $1US a drink unless it is an expensive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What you do in this case is start a tab lads. I live in Florida and if I have in a pub for a night I am not going to give the bar people a tip every time I order a drink. I asked for a tab to be stared and leave my Debit/Credit card behind the bar and when I get the bill I tip 15%. I would in me arse give out 2 or 3 bucks for every drink I pay for, that way I would be paying Dublin Prices…. LOL

As a matter of interest do they charge you more per drink for running a tab.

I know that happened to us in New York.Seems the can charge what they like at the till.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

seamus wrote:
    Lipton launched iced tea over here. Everyone bought it once, realised that hot tea with milk > iced tea and never bought it again.

How true. We're not the worlds highest tea drinking country (per capita an average of ~3 cups a day) for nothing you know

kevmy wrote:
    How true. We're not the worlds highest tea drinking country (per capita an average of ~3 cups a day) for nothing you know

When I was in America I was having breakfast in some restaurant. Went through 5 cups of tea in the space of 30 minutes much to the amazement of the people working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

seamus wrote:
    Nestea also launched ice tea over here a while back, was lovely for a long while, bought it nearly everyday myself. Then they went and brought in a "great" new flavour. Tastes like plastic now.

Outdoor swimming pools.
    And the 30 or so choices of how you would like your breakfast eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Lust4Life wrote:
    Did you notice that the numbers have braille on them?
    That always makes me laugh! Blind man wakes up one morning says "I need some cash" steals neighbour's Caddilac and drives to ATM.

ROFFLES!

Dem, they have lots of outdoor hottubs in Wisconsin and our weather is very similar to yours. Folks actually DO use them in the winter! FREAKS!

This Thread ROCKS! I'm laughing my a$$ off!

No its not.... Continental Climate vs North Atlantic Temperate Climate.

Lusty.. Im surprised at you,no way is the Wisconsin winter like Irelands

HUGSHUGSHUGSHUGSHUGS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

BlueSpiral wrote:
    Outdoor swimming pools.

I know someone with an outdoor swimming pool.

What I hated in America was that most prices were displayed pre-tax. So I had a tenner for a cd I found over there, went up to pay only to discover it was $10.67. It's annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

DaSilva wrote:
    Isnt that exactly what I said? :P

Im not saying the system is good or bad, but I think you will find if you take that approach alot of bartenders wont serve you until very last.

This is what every american I talked to while working in a bar in China told me to do if I ever went to a bar in the states :D

No one told me, its just common sence!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

They have drive through everything over here! How lazy can you get, or is your life so hectic that you cant park up and get out of you car(SUV) for 5 min!! I have seen, drive-through Pharmacy, Banks, Dry Cleaners, Power company office, off licence, and then of course every fast-food restaurant. I am sure there are more but i cant think of them right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Things that wouldn't work?

Free drinks refills in restaurants/cafés...yeah that'd be abused to f*ck, especially for soft drinks.

The little change trays in corner stores for making up the odds on purchases (very handy, people leave their few cents change and it avoids splitting notes)...the tray would never get filled. Also the charity box people would have a fit...

21 as the legal alcohol limit...I think the term "riot" springs to mind...

I think drive thru ATMs would be lapped up here....if all you need to do is drive someplace to make a withdrawal then sometimes finding parking is a bloody nightmare, even at some petrol stations. Drive thru would be a bit more secure and quicker for everyone. [edit] lol drive thru offie....classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

There used to be one of those out near Foxrock on the way to Cornelscourt.
    I used to think it was a spaceship when I was a little one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wertz wrote:

Free drinks refills in restaurants/cafés...yeah that'd be abused to f*ck, especially for soft drinks.

As would 'all you can eat' restaurants, not a hope of working in Ireland. :)

"Get that cnut of out here, hes been here all day!
    "Wait, wait I haven't had all I can eat yet!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Ruu wrote:

As far as free refills on drinks go thats common place now in subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Wertz wrote:

God yeah!

Do you think the majority of americans stick to it...can't imagine it working at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

TGIF and Hard Rock Café have free refills. If you look at it though you're paying like €30-40 for a meal and a refill of coke is an extra 2 cents for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Ruu wrote:

I wouldn't like to say they have no hope as i think they would be great value, but I think your probably right. They work in the US due to the fact the wages for the workers in that area is usually far below minimum wage and as was said earlier tipping is just not a done thing in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by FlutterinBantam:
    No its not.... Continental Climate vs North Atlantic Temperate Climate.

Lusty.. Im surprised at you,no way is the Wisconsin winter like Irelands

HUGSHUGSHUGSHUGSHUGS

Wisconsin is surrounded by the Great Lakes. It's COLD!

And I'll take those hugs, Darlin!

HUGS HUGS HUGS right back at ya!

Lusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

bluto63 wrote:
    TGIF and Hard Rock Café have free refills. If you look at it though you're paying like €30-40 for a meal and a refill of coke is an extra 2 cents for them

Yeah I'm talking more along the lines of in fast food places with your set meal @ ~$7

...and in cafés where they'll just refill your coffee all morning after you buy yer brekkie...

As for sticking with the legal drinking age, no, but the penalties if you get caught are a bit more a of a deterrent, so sh*t like running amok after too many bevvies just doesn't happen that much. They still have their mid-teens drinkers but it's more a case of robbing the liquor cabinet than asking some random idiot to buy them a 6 pack of WKD...

Oh something else that wouldn't work back here; driver's curfew, where drivers under 21 have to be off the road by 10 (IIRC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

When I was in america I got tired of not being able to just browse without someone asking can i help you. When you're buying something at the checkout then, they try and brush something else off on you like saying "would you be interested in this sir"
    That's one thing i missed about Ireland, just being able to go in and browse without hassle, although our customer service is sh£te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

The way in NY that if there are no pedestrians crossing ( and the pedestrian lights are white ) the cars can just carry on ... which keeps the traffic flowing pretty neat and you dont have to be sitting in the car waiting , when there is no one crossing the road. dont think that would work over here to say the least !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

things that work in the USA but never here!
    Sincerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

bluto63 wrote:
    I don't think it's done that bad.

What happened to Lucky Charms? Everyone I know wants them, why did they stop selling them here?

There's a supermarket in town that sells them, but at like €8 a box!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Wertz wrote:
    Things that wouldn't work?...

I remember hearing a joke about this before, it went along the lines of a guy walking into a walmart (don't castrate me, I know they don't sell these anymore) and a guy goes up to counter and asks for a 6er of beer, the cashier goes "sorry, you're only 19, we can't serve you" so he thinks for a minute then goes "ok give me a gun and some ammo then", the cashier sells him the gun, he loads it, points it then says "now give me my beer"

Its stupid that you are of sound mind enough to own a lethal weapon at 18 but you aren't sound enough to drink a beer??? my brain hurts trying to reason it.

Although it is like the fact that a guy can be a father in this country at 16 yet he isn't mature enough to drink a beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

What people forget about the whole tipping thing (at least in New York) is that it works both ways. You are expected to tip one dollar per drink (not round), but the every fifth round or so will usually be on the house, at least if your bartender is in anyway sound. I personally way prefer it that way; it is far more friendly and you are bound to get talking to the bartender on account of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Devrozex

Don't think Bud Light would work over here, and its huge over there. Well, it might work in Kielys, but that would be about it.;)

Advertisement