Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 02-11-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

i'm going to america soon and was just wondering will xbox and nintendo games work here.

also would i be able to play music cds bought there in ireland and if i buy an ipod will i be able to use it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Quick Answer:YES.
    You're going to America not Pluto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

lol. Isn't it just dvd's that you may have a problem with?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Somegames are region locked, what exact consoles are you getting them for??

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

thanks for the quick replys, the games are for xbox 360, ps2 and nintendo wii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

p~b wrote:
    i'm going to america soon and was just wondering will xbox and nintendo games work here.

also would i be able to play music cds bought there in ireland and if i buy an ipod will i be able to use it here.

cds and iPod will work just fine. But I think that video games may not work if you buy them in the States and try to use them in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

thanks for the help, had a feeling games might be a bit hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The majority of games would be region locked and would also be NTSC.

I don't think they'd be all that cheaper anyway.. so there isn't really much point. Use the internet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a few ways of getting around the region lock/ntsc thingy. And oddly enough, some of them are legal. You can buy those "Action Replay" disks, the ones that basically allow you to use cheat codes on certain games. These sets sometimes come with a region free dvd and one or two also have some way of getting ntsc to play as pal. Not sure how or even if the ntsc thing works, but the region free definitely does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Unless you hack your console, no the games won't work. PC games work fine though, another reason the PC is superior to any console.

CDs also work fine, not sure about I-pod but I assume it is perfectly fine

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, won't Xbox games work? They are made by Microsoft after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

bluto63 wrote:
    Unless you hack your console, no the games won't work. PC games work fine though, another reason the PC is superior to any console.

CDs also work fine, not sure about I-pod but I assume it is perfectly fine

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, won't Xbox games work? They are made by Microsoft after all.

No, they're set for NTSC tv's. Might work if played through a monitor as I don't think monitors give a feck about NTSC or PAL, but tv's do. I think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sheefted from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

humanji wrote:
    No, they're set for NTSC tv's. Might work if played through a monitor as I don't think monitors give a feck about NTSC or PAL, but tv's do. I think...

Most tvs these days can display both PAL and NTSC signals. The consoles here are PAL though and without being chipped (or using action replay) will not play NTSC games. It has nothing to do with the television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

p~b wrote:
    thanks for the quick replys, the games are for xbox 360, ps2 and nintendo wii

Wii and PS2 are region locked. 360 I'm not sure of, I think its up to the developers if they want to do it for their game or not so couldn't be sure.

You should just buy online IMO. PAL games for European consoles so they work on PAL TV's.

NTSC is the American signal and although most tv's can display both signals, games generally are still region encoded so they can get an idea of how well the game sold in each region aswell as for pricing (games being more expensive in Europe).

Advertisement