Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars driving down the wrong side of the road....

Options
  • 02-11-2006 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Ever notice certain junctions you find cars will drive down the wrong side of the road because up ahead is a right hand turn? The most obvious one is Hanlons corner heading from phibsborough. When traffic builds up waiting for the lights there are lots of cars that drive on the wrong side, so they can duck in at the last second into the right hand turning lane... an awful lot of them do it only do move into the left to go straight ahead and bypass 20 or 30 cars!!! Completely illegal.

Anyway yesterday i saw someone get done for it. Loads of cars did it but just as one woman was going for it a gard on a motorbike came down the opposite direction and so he stopped her, talked to her then turned around and got her to follow him, took the right hand turn she wanted to take.. however he im not sure she would be happy with the end result ;) I wonder will she get points for dangerous driving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saruman wrote:
    Ever notice certain junctions you find cars will drive down the wrong side of the road because up ahead is a right hand turn?

Every bloody morning when I turn up Nutley lane from Merrion Road. They moved the centre line a few months ago to make room for a bus stop so quite often you'll have a line of cars sitting on the wrong side of the road, and if the bus is stopped there then the traffic on the correct side of the road can't get through.

If the traffic is stopped on the wrong side of the road, I'll drive as close as possible to worry them. If the traffic is driving down the wrong side of the road I'll drive straight at them before moving out slightly and driving as close as possible to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Another one is Blanchardstown road north. Thats heading from Ballycoolin towards blanch. Its single lane traffic but the roads are pretty wide so when you get down to the small roundabout for mulhuddart cars start turning a single lane into 2 lanes. And to make matters worse, the cars flying down the wrong side of the road, or middle of the road i should say are turning a single lane roundabout into a 2 lane and to make it even worse... the ones in the right hand lane where they should be taking the 3rd exit if following roundabout rules end up going straight through taking 2nd exit. So when people in the left go through they are being cut off by Q jumpers. very dangerous.. its not wide enough for 2 cars.

Irish people same incapable of using roundabouts so i think every single roundabout in the country should have arrows in the lanes showing people where they should be going... some do... but very few and usually because they are different from the rules of the road. i.e. right hand lane straight through.. left for left turn only.. like the one on the other side of the blanchardstoswn road heading north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Saruman wrote:
    Another one is Blanchardstown road north. Thats heading from Ballycoolin towards blanch. Its single lane traffic but the roads are pretty wide so when you get down to the small roundabout for mulhuddart cars start turning a single lane into 2 lanes. And to make matters worse, the cars flying down the wrong side of the road, or middle of the road i should say are turning a single lane roundabout into a 2 lane and to make it even worse... the ones in the right hand lane where they should be taking the 3rd exit if following roundabout rules end up going straight through taking 2nd exit. So when people in the left go through they are being cut off by Q jumpers. very dangerous.. its not wide enough for 2 cars.

You mean the one on the back road at Blanchardstown Heath?? you take your life into your own hands on that roundabout when going around it. Blaming the Irish is a bit short signed. Alot of the drivers on that roundabout are coming from IBM/Xerox etc in Ballycoolin Ind Est and they are the worst. They dont use indicator, expect you to know what they want to do, all left hand drive car so either too close to you or over on other side of road.

I know this cause I worked up there for 7 years and took that roundabout everyday to and from work. So blaming the Irish is not accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Saruman wrote:

Irish people same incapable of using roundabouts so i think every single roundabout in the country should have arrows in the lanes showing people where they should be going... some do... but very few and usually because they are different from the rules of the road. i.e. right hand lane straight through.. left for left turn only.. like the one on the other side of the blanchardstoswn road heading north.

Ah i know exactly the one you are talking about, it does get quite busy around 5-6pm there and to be honest I find it good that the drivers are showing some initiative, the cars on the other lane coming towards you have plenty of space so its not really inconvenient for them. It bothers me more to see one idiot sitting right in the middle blocking the 2 lanes (even if they are imaginary :rolleyes: ) and two ques of cras queing behind him .. PICK A SIDE FFS damn muppet! It does get a bit dangerous at the roundabout when they all squeeze in and I would be one of thsoe in the imaginary right lane that goes straight ahead ... its a matter of who's quickest off the mark i suppose! - with that said , if i find myself on the right lane with another car right beside me , both heading straight , i'd always give the the right to go for the exit first , i've no complaints - it just requires you to use your head a bit and not be a complete programmed robot micra driver that can only follow white lines. I did see a crash there once though a long long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Northbound on the M50 past Sandyford people drive up the hard shoulder easily bypassing a 100 cars or more.

Loved it the other day a cop was there, you'd want to see them try to get back into the correct lane and rightly so no one budged, the traffic came to a standstill and locked up tight they all got done :) I was so happy.

It always start with one fool who thinks he's important enough to skip everyone esle. Thena again there's always some ejit who let's them back in.

On the offramp I there are two lanes, one for going left, one for right. Everyday the left lane has a queue. So people fly up the right lane and turn left anyway causing huge congestion for the other lane merging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement