Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"phishing" phone call - mbna

Options
  • 02-11-2006 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

just got off the phone with mbna there,
    needed to verify the status of a call i received about 20 minutes ago.
    they have confirmed the call was not from them so posting this a heads-up for people

my ohone started ringing from an unknown number and i answered it at my desk
    woman "hi, im calling about your recent mbna application, do you have a minute"
    me "sure, ill just run into the hall for some privacy"
    w "ok, can i have your date of birth?"
    M "why?"
    w "for security reasons about your recent application"
    m " my recent application has been approved and i have the card so what are the security issues?"
    w "its to do with the letter you sent us about your application asking for a call"
    m "i didnt send a letter so can i ask you again, what is this call in relation to?"
    w "can i just have your date of birth?"
    m "no, you cannot identify yourself, you are calling from an unkown number and you will not tell me what the call is in relation to so i will not give you any of my security details"
    w "ok, bye" hangs up

the tone of the woman was moderately friendly and she never once got angry or threatening with me.
    either way i called mbna who confirmed they have made no attempt to contact me and that my acccount has no issues at present.

first time ive experienced a call like that and im surpirsed by the whole incident tbh,
    i cant remember if she said my name, i dont think she did.
    i wonder how they got my number,
    anyone else experience anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Probably not phishing. Any time my bank or credit card company have called me, they ask me "a few security questions" such as DOB.

She probably didn't log the call because you didn't believe she was legit..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

eth0_ wrote:
    She probably didn't log the call because you didn't believe she was legit..

All calls would be logged, whether successful or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Bluetonic wrote:
    All calls would be logged, whether successful or not.
    thats what the girl i spoke to after told me.

she also said there was no reason to call based on the status of my account.
    she suggested that it could have been a marketing call but could then see no reason for the securtiy details being needed or it not being logged.

she logged my concern and said that the call sounded very unusual.
    either way, i would never give security details to someone who called me out of the blue.

eth0_ wrote:
    Any time my bank or credit card company have called me, they ask me "a few security questions" such as DOB.

from bank of ireland
    Bank of Ireland's Golden Rule : Don't Disclose
    Bank of Ireland never requests that customers give full personal log on information such as Online User ID, full 6 digit PIN and password information (i.e. Date of Birth and last 4 digits of your telephone number), either over the phone or online, in an unsolicited manner.

thats what my main bank suggest,
    i dont know what your bank suggest to do with unsolicited calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

It seems to be a common practise with credit card companies to request this sort of information when they make calls. Both Bank of Ireland and MBNA have done this in the past with me.

It is utterly stupid.

They get really annoyed when you refuse to give the information. They get more annoyed when you point out that they recommend you do not disclose security information.

The best thing to do is to ask for the persons name and use the number on the back of the card.

In all cases, I've found that the person did indeed work for the credit card company and it was not a scam caller !!

• Advertisement

thats reassuring to hear gnxx.
    its and odd practice that they tell you not to give out your info then call you asking for it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

One other point: MBNA has a security department in the UK. They don't appear to use the same logging system as the Irish MBNA office. I've received texts/calls from this office, and the Irish MBNA office had to phone to UK to find out what the problem was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

You did the right thing. If I ring a bank I'm fine with them asking me those questions. If they ring me then I don't give that info. The least they can do is direct you to their public number (which is verifiable on a website or phonebook) and get you to ask for them.
    I used to live in Australia and this kind of call seems to be more common down there. My other half used to get about 1 a month of some random company asking for her details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Did the caller ask for you by name? i.e. "May I speak to Mr Subway" or was it just "Hi I'm from MBNA"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had a similar experience with someone calling me from eBay when there had allegedly been a complaint because my phone number wasn't answered at the weekend (it was my work number). Guy threatened to close my eBay account unless I could verify my details which I refused on the grounds that I hadn't used my account in weeks at the time and there were no out-standing transactions on it so there was no reason any user could need my contact details. AFAIK, my account hasn't been closed as yet...

Seems these calls are becoming more common.

• Advertisement

BendiBus wrote:
    Did the caller ask for you by name? i.e. "May I speak to Mr Subway" or was it just "Hi I'm from MBNA"?
    thats what i dont recall,
    i was at my desk in work at the time and just heard "mbna" if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

I think the best way to handle such as request is to say your just in the middle of something, and ask for their name and you'll ring them back on the 1800 number

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

subway wrote:
    from bank of ireland
    Bank of Ireland's Golden Rule : Don't Disclose
    Bank of Ireland never requests that customers give full personal log on information such as Online User ID, full 6 digit PIN and password information (i.e. Date of Birth and last 4 digits of your telephone number), either over the phone or online, in an unsolicited manner.

thats what my main bank suggest,
    i dont know what your bank suggest to do with unsolicited calls.

I'm with AIB and it wasn't unsolicited per se, usually if I had applied for something or had a query and they rang me back.

thats slightly different though.

i hadnt expected a call, if i was i would have know what it was about.
    she stated that it was to do with a letter i had sent requesting a call.
    i havent sent any letter to them.

if she said it was to do with your online application i might have had more faith in her.
    also, since there were no security issues with my account and when the mbna girl checked my account there were no issues at all my suspicion-o-meter is still raised.
    there has also been no further attempt to contact me via any of the other numbers they have or via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I was also MBNA customer and did get calls about marketing, but they do ask for you by name.

Most of the calls are for loans or for the Payment Protection, I also get post about it I will say every month.

So I will suggest you get them to remove you from any marketing calls.

I changed credit card company because the interest is lower with the banks.

Regards

i just put my balance with them for the low rate for the first few months.
    i dont think ill using their ppi etc.

illl let them know if i get more calls from them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

it may be worht getting your card reissued, with a different number. Although knowing MBNA they will not doubt charge you for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Simple rule.

If they called you give them no personal information. If they require it ask them for a number to ring them back on, then hang up and ring the number in the phone book and ask them to confirm that number.

Or just give them wrong information if they rang you first. Then phone MNBA and tell them what information you gave them and let them wait for the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

btw, be wary of double phishing. I had one explained to me one time where they would ring the person and get some details but if the person got suspect they would ring back sometime later and pretend to be Fraud control from said bank and then phish you for the information.

Advertisement