Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing New Fireplace - Fireback Protruding?

Options
  • 02-11-2006 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi

Just moved into a new house (built one year ago) and hated the fireplace. I got a wooden surround and a new cast iron insert and today went to put them in, however, the fireback is protruding out of the opening by about 2 inches.

Is this normal? This is causing the insert to sit about 5 inches away from the wall, which in turn is leading to a 1inch+ gap between the surround and the wall.

The builders had packed some rockwool into the gap between the old insert and the wall, mortared around that, and put the surround over it, but my new surround cant reach that far....

Would it be okay if I got out my angle grinder and cut back the sides of the protruding fireback so that's its flush with the wall? I want to get a gas fire installed in the next few months - do they need a minimum depth?

Advertisement