Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with a flash site

Options
  • 02-11-2006 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hows it going all,

I've be asked to put together a flash site http://www.rousseau-partners.com and theres a few odd problems. The client reckons that it begins to play and then stops, but it plays ok for me and other machines I've tested it on.

If you have a chance, would you mind having a look and see if it works ok for you?

Just for the record, I don't like doing sites in flash, but the client was determined no matter what I said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It works ok here but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Make sure you have preloaded all (or part) of the content. Put a wee 'loading' bar for content that loads. Once it has loaded then you can let it play the content.

I can't remember the exact code off-hand but it's something like
    onLoad(moviename) {
    gotoAndPlay(10)
    }

Look up the help files for onLoad, or preloaders.

The site doesn't look extremely heavy flash wise so maybe you could preload the entire site before the user enters it.

Oh, maybe it stops because he has 56k connection, that's why I say this.

Does he actually have a good connection? Or does the site stop at a specific frame number or is it random?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Gordon wrote:
    It works ok here but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Make sure you have preloaded all (or part) of the content. Put a wee 'loading' bar for content that loads. Once it has loaded then you can let it play the content.

I can't remember the exact code off-hand but it's something like
    onLoad(moviename) {
    gotoAndPlay(10)
    }

Look up the help files for onLoad, or preloaders.

The site doesn't look extremely heavy flash wise so maybe you could preload the entire site before the user enters it.

Oh, maybe it stops because he has 56k connection, that's why I say this.

Does he actually have a good connection? Or does the site stop at a specific frame number or is it random?

I'll try the preloader and thanks for your reply.

I believe that they are all using broadband lines, and the entire animation is under 50k

Ask him if it always stops at a particular point also. But it's a bit weird that it would do that on a broadband line.. Is it an old or new version of Flash that you have outputted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Works fine here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

works fine here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

what browser are they using? In IE7 you must click on flash to have it 'activated' to play. Not sure but this might be a feature in FF2.0 too. I think there was legal battle over the use of Active X controllers and flash which is forcing the hand of Mozzila and Microsoft et al.

Going OT...
    Also, have you considered making the text in your flash file dynamic so that a user can highlight it? As it stands it can't be highlighted.

Nice site.

You don't need dynamic text in flash to make it highlightable (I presume you mean selectable?) - just make it selectable on the tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Thanks for testing it guys, and for the tips Rollo and Gordon.

To answer your question Gordon, it seems to stop at the same point each time, just after the first logo loads in. Odd. anyways, i'm going to stick a preloader on it and see what happens.

Thanks all

How are you loading the files? Are you using a few swf files and importing them via actionscript or is it all one big swf file with links linking to various frame numbers? I"m wondering if the first bit that stops is maybe a file not being imported due to a strange character in the url/swf name.

Advertisement