Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii doesn't play DVDs?

Options
  • 02-11-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I currently have a PS2 in my room which I now mainly use as a DVD player. I was thinking about replacing it with a Wii. There's not a lot of space and I doesn't want to have loads of stuff on the floor next to the tv.

I emailed nintendo today to ask if the Wii would be able to play DVDs and I got the following reply, which I think is a bit bitchy:

Dear Customer, thank you for your e-mail.

No the Wii is a games console not a home entertainment system.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

lol that does sound like a bitchy reply but dvd players are so cheap now you could probably pick one up for around 30-40euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

lol at ninty. :D

Seriously though, dvd players are dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Gamecube didn't play dvds either.

Why not get a slimline PS2 to save space if you just want a small dvd player.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Recon wrote:
    I currently have a PS2 in my room which I now mainly use as a DVD player. I was thinking about replacing it with a Wii. There's not a lot of space and I doesn't want to have loads of stuff on the floor next to the tv.

I emailed nintendo today to ask if the Wii would be able to play DVDs and I got the following reply, which I think is a bit bitchy:

Dear Customer, thank you for your e-mail.

No the Wii is a games console not a home entertainment system.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

Surprised they even bothered answering at all to be honest, a quick search on google would have given you your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm amazed you emailed Nintendo a question like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think Nintendos idea not to include a DVD player was a good choice. They rightly pointed out that the vast majority of households already have a DVD player, and that there is no need to force another one on the customer for an extra 40 euro or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FlimFlam

That's a very rude reply from Nintendo. What e-mail address did you send your message to?

Nintendo were going to offer the option of a dongle for DVD playback but then decided not to bother at all. The fact that they're making a profit from the console off the shelf just goes to show how much they are over-charging for this system.
    Makaveli wrote:
    The Gamecube didn't play dvds either
    Can DVD movies (12cm) fit in the disc bay of a GameCube?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The fact that they're making a profit from the console off the shelf just goes to show how much they are over-charging for this system.
    lol, yeah how dare they make a profit

who the hell wants another dvd player anyway? I cant move for them in my house and I own about 3 dvds in total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

FlimFlam wrote:
    That's a very rude reply from Nintendo. What e-mail address did you send your message to?

Nintendo were going to offer the option of a dongle for DVD playback but then decided not to bother at all. The fact that they're making a profit from the console off the shelf just goes to show how much they are over-charging for this system.

Can DVD movies (12cm) fit in the disc bay of a GameCube?

lol it's a bargain tbh, €250 is overcharging? By any chance have you heard of this new thing that's comming out soon, think it's called a playstation 3.....

Oh and I really don't think it's that rude of an answer, it was a stupid question that they should have ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I bet it won't play music CDs either, but I don't think it'll put many people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think I'll email Nintendo and ask them if the Wii will teach my cat to play the piano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

The reason I mailed nintendo was because they didn't have this information on their website, and everywhere else I looked had contradicting information. Some places saying it can play DVDs, others saying it can't and others saying that there'll be an add-on or some sort that will allow you too.

I disagree about it being a good idea for nintendo to release this console without being able to play DVDs. That was one of the reasons will I bought a PS2 instead. I eventually got a gamecube when they were reduced to less than half price.

And about DVD players being so cheap: there's also a matter of space. I don't have the room to put a DVD in. The PS2 is grand because it can stand next to the drawers that my tv is on, as would a Wii if it would play DVDs.

http://alan-kelly1.magix.net/

Click 'new album' on the left to see the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Recon wrote:

LMfAO :D:D:D A picture of your room.... Thanks for that,
    I'll email nintendo for you now and ask them to put a dvd/cd
    combo into the wii just for you as you don't have enough room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Recon wrote:
    everywhere else I looked had contradicting information
    Nintendo are allegedly releasing a peripheral next year in Japan that will allow for DVD playback on the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

LMAO at that pic. Man, you need to buy a new desk/table instead of worrying about what consoles playsback dvds :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You'll also need room to swing the Wiimote about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You could easily fit a DVD player and a Wii into the space a PS2 takes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Put a dvd player under the tv :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Stick the ps2 or wii in the drawer and drill a hole in the back for the wires and stuff and then all you have to do is open the drawer and then you can play your game.

Problem solved!

(I'm serious btw )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

im...LOST wrote:
    Stick the ps2 or wii in the drawer and drill a hole in the back for the wires and stuff and then all you have to do is open the drawer and then you can play your game.

Problem solved!

(I'm serious btw )
    Would this not cause an old ps2 to overheat? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Apparently Japan will be getting a wii with built in dvd playback sometime next year.

gameindustry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

CiaranC wrote:
    lol, yeah how dare they make a profit

who the hell wants another dvd player anyway? I cant move for them in my house and I own about 3 dvds in total

Most new games consoles are sold at either a loss or with very little profit. The idea is to get the machines out and they'll make their money back on the games and accessories.

Makaveli wrote:
    The Gamecube didn't play dvds either.

Why not get a slimline PS2 to save space if you just want a small dvd player.

I don't just want a dvd player, I'm wondering what new console I'd like to get and the ability to be able to play DVDs is something I'd like the console to be able to do.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Surprised they even bothered answering at all to be honest, a quick search on google would have given you your answer.

I did search google and I got contradicting information...

Rabies wrote:
    I'm amazed you emailed Nintendo a question like that.

...which is why I emailed nintendo.
    kjt wrote:
    Oh and I really don't think it's that rude of an answer, it was a stupid question that they should have ignored.

Your mother should have thought you if you're not going to say anything positive don't say anything at all. I had a perfectly valid question and I asked the most reliable source I could think of. It's not my fault they gave a bitchy reply.

As for the other replies, thanks for the helpful/creative ones (I'll think about putting the console in a drawer) but I think it could over heat.

My TV only has one scart plug, which is why I don't want to get a seperate console and DVD player, and I think the TV would crush a DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

A lot of people have 1-2-3 dvd players in their home, its pointless imho to have the wii play dvd's aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Interesting point in this thread, a lot of people are saying people don't care about DVD players anymore so Nintendo are right to leave it out but here is a guy that is very interested in it.

The fact is that while some on here may have 2 or 3 DVD players most people don't and the sort of people Nintendo are apparantly targetting certainly don't.

A lot of people have one console, the PS2 and that is serving as their DVD player too. They are not going to upgrade to a Wii and lose the use of all their DVDs when they can wait a few months, go for the tried and tested and get a PS3.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    A lot of people have one console, the PS2 and that is serving as their DVD player too. They are not going to upgrade to a Wii and lose the use of all their DVDs when they can wait a few months, go for the tried and tested and get a PS3.
    If you can afford a PS3 you should really buy your self a decent dedicated DVD player. The PS2 is a horrible DVD player... Even DVD playback on the 360 is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you want to watch DVDs buy a dedicated dvd player. If you want to play games buy a console.

You wouldn't go into a Sony shop and ask if one of their dvd players plays PS2 games aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

quick question? where's your PC? is that not in your room? Use that as your dvd player. I know I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Recon wrote:

Its a proven fact that playing your games like this can damage your games and DVD's. IE: not flat is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Interesting point in this thread, a lot of people are saying people don't care about DVD players anymore so Nintendo are right to leave it out but here is a guy that is very interested in it.

The fact is that while some on here may have 2 or 3 DVD players most people don't and the sort of people Nintendo are apparantly targetting certainly don't.

who do you think it is that nintendo are targeting, that they certainly don't have standalone DVD players?
    Judging by the responses in this thread, the people here, at least, who are going to buy a Wii have a DVD player already.

Advertisement