Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii doesn't play DVDs?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Aldi were yesterday selling a region free DVD player for something like €35; that's €5.01 dearer than the DVD dongle for the xbox (at least the price it was at when I bought it years ago), which doesn't let you play other regions and often won't let you even consider using ripped DVD's... oh and consoles suck as DVD players.
    I have 2 DVD players in my room (once I had 4; xbox, pc, laptop, ps2) and in my house there are currently as many dvd players as there are people.
    I'd say they'll release the DVD dongle if it makes business sense, but frankly I don't think it will in Europe.
    Although I do hope it'll play my CD's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just counted... I have 7 DVD players in my house... I need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i've 3 in my room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Recon wrote:
    Most new games consoles are sold at either a loss or with very little profit. The idea is to get the machines out and they'll make their money back on the games and accessories.

Thats nonsense.

Nintendo's console is 250 Euro including a game. Also the online is free and the games are retailing cheaper than the other consoles.

Yeah your getting ripped off because they make a profit on the console :rolleyes:

They can sell the games cheaper because they don't have to make as big a profit margin on them as the competition does because they sold their consoles at a loss.

One could argue its because of cheaper development costs but that still leaves you with free online play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Makaveli wrote:
    If you want to watch DVDs buy a dedicated dvd player. If you want to play games buy a console.
    So by your rationale, a car shouldn't have a CD player? A car is a mode of transport, not a media centre.
    CombatCow wrote:
    A lot of people have 1-2-3 dvd players in their home, its pointless imho to have the wii play dvd's aswell.
    Pointless in your opinion. I have a single DVD player in the living room and would welcome DVD functionality in a console. It'd be one less piece of hardware taking up space/electricity/sockets.
    mcgarnicle wrote:
    The fact is that while some on here may have 2 or 3 DVD players most people don't and the sort of people Nintendo are apparantly targetting certainly don't.
    QFT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what would it take to make wii play a dvd? a chip the size of match box, that costs...? or what

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

what would it take to make wii play a dvd? a chip the size of match box, that costs...? or what
    A few cents for the chip but last time I heard over $10 in licensing fees. When you're making over a million consoles just for launch thats going to add up quick for a feature not use be everyone and not needed for a console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Recon wrote:
    Most new games consoles are sold at either a loss or with very little profit. The idea is to get the machines out and they'll make their money back on the games and accessories.
    Im aware of the concept. Nintento have never followed that model as far as I know.

I have 10 DVD players. 3 in desktop PCs, 1 DVD burner, 1 in an xbox, 1 in a PS2, 1 in a 360, 1 standalone in the living room, another one still in the box that I won in a raffle in the garage and one I left in my girlfiends house. I cant find a single DVD movie in my house.

Seriously, stop giving us DVD players in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Well I have dvd players in the form of:

pc
    xbox
    ps2
    xbox 360
    standalone player
    second standalone player

and I plan on buying a new standalone player, a wii, and a ps3 within the next 6 months.

And I am still disappointed the wii doesn't play dvd's. It's a step back in game consoles, not forward imo. Especially for people who has minimal room, and wanna replace a ps2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I cant understand the amount of people practically giving out to this chap for daring to ask a question. Is the friendly vibe of this place completely gone? Get over the nintendo fanboyism lads, its getting old and machine hasnt even been released yet.
    LMAO at that pic. Man, you need to buy a new desk/table instead of worrying about what consoles playsback dvds :rolleyes:

That comment in particular annoyed me. What does it even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Bit of a strange reply, not like Ninty CS replies I've seen before. Where did you e-mail it to? It doesn't even have proper punctuation :eek:

Personally, even if the Wii had DVD playback, I'd never use it, not going to miss it at all. I'm not buying it to be an allround entertainment system (like a HTPC), I'm buying it to play the class games that'll be out on it :) Games consoles never make great DVD players, standalones or PCs are better for that. But to each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Lack of DVD playback doesnt bother me at all.
    I have a 360 and PC to do that.
    If you want a DVD playing Wii, buy one and then a dongle (if they release one) to allow DVD playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

skywalker wrote:
    I cant understand the amount of people practically giving out to this chap for daring to ask a question. Is the friendly vibe of this place completely gone? Get over the nintendo fanboyism lads, its getting old and machine hasnt even been released yet.

Thanks for that skywalker.

koneko wrote:
    Bit of a strange reply, not like Ninty CS replies I've seen before. Where did you e-mail it to? It doesn't even have proper punctuation

Personally, even if the Wii had DVD playback, I'd never use it, not going to miss it at all. I'm not buying it to be an allround entertainment system (like a HTPC), I'm buying it to play the class games that'll be out on it Games consoles never make great DVD players, standalones or PCs are better for that. But to each his own.

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/contactus/index.jsp

The one I emailed was Customer Services/General enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Besides the fundamental step back this represents, ie a move away from a "home entertainment system" (which is frankly what I thought Nintendo was going for), it takes the revolution idea to levels of stupidity. They want the Wii to play back catalogues of Nintendo games, it should be considered enough to assume that they want this to be the sole entertainment unit in front of the Screen.

Do Nintendo sell DVD players.. no, but then again providing a fully functional Player that would put dedicated units to shame would show a great deal of revolutionary thinking on their part.

but lets discuss the fundamental thing wrong with the reply. They didn't answer her/him, the correct answer was;

"No, the Wii will not play DVD movies"

The answer they recieved was snide and pointed, implication that they are moronic for wanting to play DVD's on the Wii is a really stupid way of dealing with a user base, prehaps the reply was lost in translation, but I doubt it.

Lame. That's what happens when you outsource your support to stupid companies. Codestorm, wtf? Their site is pants too.

tba wrote:
    The answer they recieved was snide and pointed, implication that they are moronic for wanting to play DVD's on the Wii is a really stupid way of dealing with a user base, prehaps the reply was lost in translation, but I doubt it.

Agreed. I agree with Nintendo's strategy on this, I don't think the console needs to play DVDs and it wouldn't interest me if it did, but to be honest that's totally irrelevant. The reply he got was bitchy, and it was written very poorly and with no punctuation, and didn't answer his question. It is NOT what a reply from any Customer Service should look like. They are there to be friendly and courteous to the customer, and answer his or her question. It's Customer Service damnit, not the Gamespot forum or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

tba wrote:
    They want the Wii to play back catalogues of Nintendo games, it should be considered enough to assume that they want this to be the sole entertainment unit in front of the Screen.

If they wanted it to be the sole entertainment unit in front of the screen they would have included DVD. I dont think that just because they have the back catalogue of games available you can assume this. If anything you can assume that they want it to be the sole entertainment unit from the fact that they've stated that its a family machine, a console everyone can play.

My line of thought on it is that nintendo can assume that most families will have a DVD player somewhere in their house so why compete with a dedicated DVD player when

a) its not the consoles primary function,
    b) the PS2, Xbox and 360 cant stand up to a dedicated player as is,
    c) perhaps they want to sit on the fence to see how long DVD9 holds out against HDDVD and Blue-ray which, if you believe the hype, wont be long.

I am glad that they do not include a DVD because it lowers the price of the console. Nintendo aren't fools, I'm sure the decision not to include DVD was made drunkenly down the pub like all mine are. They know that they are excluding a certain number of gamers by not including DVD but they obviously feel its the right choice to make. The add-on dongle is the compromise, just like the 360 and HDDVD.
    tba wrote:
    Do Nintendo sell DVD players.. no, but then again providing a fully functional Player that would put dedicated units to shame would show a great deal of revolutionary thinking on their part.

It is possible to create a console that is as good or better than a dedicated player but the advantage of this is outweight by the additional cost of the components. Both Sony and MS have tried with the XBox and PS2 but in both cases it was secondary to the machines main purpose, to play games. Had sony actually included some of their tech for their dedicated high-end dedicated players I wonder how much the PS2 would have cost. They would have to use high end tech simply to put the medium and low budget versions to shame.
    tba wrote:

Agreed, but the one time I did contact them they were more than helpful and friendly. The OP seems to have been unlucky. Hopefully someone got repremanded for it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

the answer that the OP received was well out of order but as koneko said, that's outsourcing for you.

Regarding whether the wii should even have a dvd player, well look at the panasonic q (or whatever they called it). If having a dvd player was important that product should have saved the gamecube. It didn't and as such kinda proved nintendo not right in including one in the gamecube and by extension the wii

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

who do you think it is that nintendo are targeting, that they certainly don't have standalone DVD players?
    Judging by the responses in this thread, the people here, at least, who are going to buy a Wii have a DVD player already.

I think they are targetting non gamers as they have stated on numerous occassions. Do you think they are targetting internet forum users? Hardly a large market there. They don't have to target geeky internet types, chances are most people here made their minds up whether or not to get a Wii before it had even been announced. I know I had.

The people they claim to be targetting are people that don't have PS2s, Xboxes or 360s, they are targetting people who don't play games. These people would probably be keen on the idea of being able to use DVDs on the system.

If you can afford a PS3 you should really buy your self a decent dedicated DVD player. The PS2 is a horrible DVD player... Even DVD playback on the 360 is rubbish.

Yes probably but for most "casual" gamers that just use a PS2 for their DVD player and there are millions of them, the fact that Wii does not support DVD while PS3 does will go a long way towards deciding what to buy.

It might not be a case of money, I know people that have plenty of money but still only have a PS2. This is the mass market, these are the people who will decide who wins or loses the next gen war not people on here who will probably end up with all 3 consoles and a rake of games for each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*shrug* I don't need another DVD player, already have 4 just in my room (laptop, old desktop, PS2, Xbox) anyway! Wii is a games console, I'm buying it to play games on.

skywalker wrote:

The wii is less than half the size of a ps2 :rolleyes: The OP has nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Fidelis wrote:
    So by your rationale, a car shouldn't have a CD player? A car is a mode of transport, not a media centre.

No, I never said the Wii shouldn't have a dvd player. If I was buying a car the fact it has a cd player or not would have very little bearing on the car I buy. If I buy a console the fact it can play dvds has very little bearing too. I'd be buying it to play games, I'd buy a car to drive it.

If I needed a cd player I wouldn't buy a car to have one. If I needed a dvd player I wouldn't buy a console to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

The wii is less than half the size of a ps2 :rolleyes: The OP has nothing to worry about.

So what? Do you think your comments and rollseyes were helpful to the op. Your aptly named you know that?

skywalker wrote:
    Your aptly named you know that?

Course I know that, tis' my name after all. Dont know what that has to do with my comment. There is plenty of room for the OP to get a wii, and still use his ps2 for dvds. Even if he only has one scart, that's not a problem with a simple adaptor.

Also, I think this thread should either be moved to the nintendo forum, or locked and binned.

No, the wii doesn't play dvd's, it would be nice if it did, but it doesn't. This thread didnt need to sprawl to three pages of people arguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

This is probably how Nintendo see it:

People who want the Wii to play DVDs: Approx 5

People who don't give a crap either way: Everyone else.

You don't need to be a CEO to figure out whether it's worth the extra cash/work to get the console to play movies!

This is probably how Nintendo see it:

People who want the Wii to play DVDs: Approx 5

People who don't give a crap either way: Everyone else.

You don't need to be a CEO to figure out whether it's worth the extra cash/work to get the console to play movies!

They probably saw it that way for the Gamecube too, didn't do them much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Makaveli wrote:
    If I needed a cd player I wouldn't buy a car to have one. If I needed a dvd player I wouldn't buy a console to have one.
    I should've worded my post a bit better. I didn't mean to suggest that you said the Wii "shouldn't" have DVD functionality. But it certainly would be nice to have. The PS2 and X-Box had it so it's not asking too much.

I simply like the idea of eventually having most devices in one. e.g. phone + mp3 player + credit card, like in Japan. Or in this case, console + DVD player + media centre. The convenience of having a single device to cater for most of my needs, within reason. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

consoles make crappy dvd players, ps2 was a pos for playing dvds, they started skipping, went out of sync etc. xbox was much the same. you want to watch dvds, get a "dvd player" thats why they call them "dvd players"

they didn't make the Wii to save your floor space, they made it to make a games console, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Fidelis wrote:
    I should've worded my post a bit better. I didn't mean to suggest that you said the Wii "shouldn't" have DVD functionality. But it certainly would be nice to have. The PS2 and X-Box had it so it's not asking too much.

I simply like the idea of eventually having most devices in one. e.g. phone + mp3 player + credit card, like in Japan. Or in this case, console + DVD player + media centre. The convenience of having a single device to cater for most of my needs, within reason. Wishful thinking, I suppose.
    Thats what Sony are doing with their PS3. Nintendo have always maintained the Wii was a games console and nothing else.

Advertisement