Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The nightmare that is BB in Eire

Options
  • 02-11-2006 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

So I have been trying to get broadband for almost 5 wks now. I tried wireless companies but did not have a suitable roof to hang their antenna off. So I went with a DSL company. BT, it took me 2 wks to place an order with them and for them to actually get it right. Apparently they have done this now ( although I have still not received anything from them, wouldn't be suprised if they sent it to the wrong address, i would hedge my bets on a different country ).

Now it appears the simple task of switching the eircom a/c from one persons name into mine as confused those people at eircom so much that our line is not working. So the only response I can get is a tech guy will contact you and try to be out in 4 weeks. IN 4 WEEKS, why are these companies so useless.

I asked the eircom monkey how a simple change of name on the a/c could cause the line to go off ( previous tenant cancelled, I started up a/c again ). She replied that maybe I should fiddle around with some wires as it may be a simple fix. I told her we had 4 eircom sockets in our flat and how should i fiddle with all of them, should i really be fiddling with wires at all, she said hmm dunno. I am pretty sure they switched the line off and have forgotten how to press the button that says "ON", they may not have introduced the "How to switch a line ON" course yet, hopefully soon they will.

Ah yes, the joy of living in a country that is a wash with companies who don't need to act in any reasonable manner to get business because we live in a country that frowns upon real competition ...

YES this is just a vent ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yep, tis very bad alright. Even the new owner of Eircom said that broadband in Ireland is the worst in Europe. See.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'd give anything to be in your shoes. There's no broadband option open for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

he he he.....digiweb just send me an email saying i can get their wireless broadnand!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

When are things going to change in this bloody country as regards Broadband absolutely shocking:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

well eircom said they wont care bout rural ireland basically in recent press ionterviews as there wasnt much[if any] profit to be made

• Advertisement

Well, I don't blame eircon. There just out to make money and consolidate there monopoly. It's the T.D. Noel Dempsey I blame. He should care about rural Ireland, because you can't grow a business on dial-up. Your at a total disadvantage without it and that's bad for all of Ireland. And, If your one of the lucky one's that can get broadband it's crapy and over priced compared to the rest of Europe. He has the power to make changes, but seems to instead be just burying his head in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Well, I don't blame eircon. There just out to make money and consolidate there monopoly. It's the T.D. Noel Dempsey I blame. He should care about rural Ireland, because you can't grow a business on dial-up. Your at a total disadvantage without it and that's bad for all of Ireland. And, If your one of the lucky one's that can get broadband it's crapy and over priced compared to the rest of Europe. He has the power to make changes, but seems to instead be just burying his head in the sand.

I agree but it wont get any cheaper as its like everything in ireland there jus isnt enough people in rural ireland

plonk wrote:
    I agree but it wont get any cheaper as its like everything in ireland there jus isnt enough people in rural ireland
    Ya, but rural Ireland isn't like rural Australia. I don't live hundreds of miles from the nearest town or exchange. Broadband in rural Ireland could easily be solved with wireless solutions like Wi Max. A tax incentive or conditions to a license could entice ISP's to invest in rural Ireland. A digital divide is bad for all of us and it's Noel's job to prevent that from happening. Which he's not doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 a line failure

It's at times like this that I wonder why Dempsey and FF/PD is sill in Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

It's at times like this that I wonder why Dempsey and FF/PD is sill in Government.
    They're in government because they won the last election.

The real time for wonderment will be the day after the next election in May, when you wake up and turn on the Radio to find that FF have been re-elected. By the same people who can't get broadband, who spend 2 or 3 hours a day sitting in traffic, paying a hundred euro a day each for the kids in daycare.

All of the recent opinion polls have indicated that FF are looking like winners next year. If you think it will make a difference, now is the time to find out which local FF or PD is most vulnerable, and volunteer to help the opposition candidate who is most likely to take a seat from FF/PDs. Contact them now and offer your help, and let it be known that you're getting involved because of broadband. Word will filter back through ALL of the parties if people start volunteering because of broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Hear hear! I agree with BT looking even more amaturish than Eircom (damn that's hard) and also about FF being in government for a total run of 20 something years....some democracy. Young people of Ireland....go out and vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

KenH wrote:
    Hear hear! I agree with BT looking even more amaturish than Eircom (damn that's hard) and also about FF being in government for a total run of 20 something years....some democracy. Young people of Ireland....go out and vote!

Ah, don't be saying that, I'm even more depressed now. My BB order with BT is currently 2 weeks late going live because BT say there are not enough ports at the local eircom exchange, I live in East Wall, Dublin. They can give me no timeframe for getting it sorted as it's 'Eircom's problem'. :(

So I'm now depending on two of the most unreliable companies in the state to work together to get my BB up and running :mad: .

Anyone have any thoughts on how long I can genuinely expect this to take, or should I just give up now.... ?

Advertisement