Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 delay til Nov. '07!!!!!!!!!

• 02-11-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

I was in GAME today in Liffey Valley and i just asked the salesman when they are taking preorders for the PS3, he replied and said not for ages and that it now looks like the launch is soing to be delayed further til November 07!

I asked him where did he hear that and he said he heard it on the internet that there is some flaw with the machine and a further delay is almost certain.

I think he is talking through his A*SE.

Anyone else hear this?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nope, no news past the March 07 date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

November
    Decemeber
    January
    Febuaray
    March 25th

5 months.
    also i cant spell my months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i was at a sony event on sunday (shh, secret) and they've already made 2 ads for europe specifically. they certainly didn't make them to sit there until november

i was at a sony event on sunday (shh, secret) and they've already made 2 ads for europe specifically. they certainly didn't make them to sit there until november
    I thought they already had European ads made for a November 06 release before they announced the delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,747 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

November 07 sounds too farfetched.
    However -- I wouldn't be surprised if Sony can't ship the second batch after launch in March fast enough, delaying general availability until April or May.
    Stranger things have happened...
    Plus, y'know, it uses Blu-Ray :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

It must be true if you heard it from some guy who works behind the counter in Game, especially as he read it "somewhere" on the Internet.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I thought they already had European ads made for a November 06 release before they announced the delay.

they knew there'd be a delay a long time ago. they just hoped they'd figure out the manufacturing before now

they knew there'd be a delay a long time ago. they just hoped they'd figure out the manufacturing before now
    Ah ha! So you do work for Sony :eek:

HTF do you know that :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We all knew it would happen but didn't want to believe it.

How you ask? It was too good to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I am heading over to the US in a month.. Would it work if brought one back? i.e are the games region free?? any other problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i'm in the same boat heading to america in a month if anyone wants one i'd pick it up for them if i could get it (probably be sold out instantly though)

shepthedog wrote:
    I am heading over to the US in a month.. Would it work if brought one back? i.e are the games region free?? any other problems?
    You would need a step down to run it which would cost about €60. Sony say its region free but theres alot of speculation that it will be just like the 360 where its up to the developer if they want their games to be region free.

Good luck trying to get one though, you will need to sleep out infront of the shops if you want any chance of getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

i heard there was a universal adaptor in the PS3 like the ps2 slimline which takes the irish voltage, i think it was eurogamer i heard it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can get a stepdown converter in Peats for about 20 euros. I have one for my japanese saturn and run the AC adapter for my American PSP off it as well when I want to charge it.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Ah ha! So you do work for Sony :eek:

HTF do you know that :confused:

i used to, but i do keep in contact with some people there :p
    shepthedog wrote:

games are region-free, movies will not (DVD or Blu-Ray). as already mentioned, you'll need a step-down yoke for the power supply.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You can get a stepdown converter in Peats for about 20 euros. I have one for my japanese saturn and run the AC adapter for my American PSP off it as well when I want to charge it.
    The PS3 will draw a little more power than a Saturn, reported at 380W on IGN.

You do know the PSP charger is multi voltage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

The launch for Europe in March is going to be a farce. Japan is only getting about 80,000 units for thier launch. I dont see Sony giving Europe much more than that in March as they are going to need to re-stock the states and Japan at the same time

Miracles could happen though. Maybe they'll sort out all the production problems by then and be able to re-stock faster. What they really dont need is a tiny lauch and then weeks of nothing

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The PS3 will draw a little more power than a Saturn, reported at 380W on IGN.

You do know the PSP charger is multi voltage?

Don't think that matters. It still draws the 380W from the 220V, 50Hz power supply. The power converter just changes our voltage and frequency to that value.

On the other hand my power converter says: Output 120V 100W so maybe it isn't suitable. I'm sure from my first year physics that the power comes from the amplitude and there's more than enough Amps from the household supply to power a 380W machine.

Still I'm sure if it is necessary that a 380W power supply isn't as expensive as 60 euros.

You can be assured that the Launch in europe will be a complete farce. Sony will need to supply japan and american while a massive shortage in europe will be great for publicity. You won't be reading how Nintendo sells 4 million Wii units in Europe before Chrimbo and practically sells out it's initial stock. You will read how the PS3 completely sells out all 15000 consoles in europe within an hour. Remember the PS2 launch. Dreamcast outsells PS2 5:1 at christmas but all the headlines are on the PS2 shortages.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You can be assured that the Launch in europe will be a complete farce. Sony will need to supply japan and american while a massive shortage in europe will be great for publicity. You won't be reading how Nintendo sells 4 million Wii units in Europe before Chrimbo and practically sells out it's initial stock. You will read how the PS3 completely sells out all 15000 consoles in europe within an hour. Remember the PS2 launch. Dreamcast outsells PS2 5:1 at christmas but all the headlines are on the PS2 shortages.

that's because of demand. the Wii will outsell PS3 hands down in the first few months, because there won't be enough PS3's to go round, but the demand will be there from joe public, so the media will focus in on that because they'll perceive that as far more people will read that headline versus "Wii outsells PS3", because the argument can be made "well there's more of them"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

so you guys reckon it would be no problem bringing one or two back if i happened to be able to buy them?? What about customs etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

shepthedog wrote:

If you're headed to the US in a month I really wouldn't count on being able to get a PS3. People were queueing for hours just to pre-order, let alone buy it.

He can always mug someone on the way out of gamestop. I heard it was fair game at the xbox360 launch.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Don't think that matters. It still draws the 380W from the 220V, 50Hz power supply. The power converter just changes our voltage and frequency to that value.
    Nope, I had trouble when I first got my Xbox where my stepdown couldn't supply enough power. It was only a 50W stepdown.

The cheapest 400W stepdown I could find was £40 btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Correct me if I'm wrong but, AFAIK and from what I can see, you will not need a step down transformer for the PS3.

The PSU is internal and rated 110-220, with a standard computer type power plug.

Advertisement