Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDCP compliant graphics card??

Options
  • 02-11-2006 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Something i am considering for a HTPC project since media playback is a priority, is HDCP compatibility.

It's not any use now due to lack of the relevant software for hd-dvd and blu ray and the lack of drives for hd dvd, but it will be in the future when vista comes out and drives are cheaper. There currently aren't many about, I've seen a couple of HDCP compatible 7600gt's about but I can't seem to find them again and I don't think they were silent.

Are there any other silent options out there or is it better to wait it out and use cheap one for now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The number of lower end HDCP cards aren't too many at the moment & sourcing is another issue altogether.

OcUK have an HDMI enabled X1600 Pro - third from the top.

The recently announced X1650XT be default has HDCP support built into all of them through it's DVI port but these are not yet available till mid-late November.

The next card up from ATI is the X9150 Pro all of these also have HDCP support & can be gotten for around €200.

Here is an up to date list taken from another site that lists all the HDCP enabled NVIDIA cards, you can add all GeForce 8 series cards to that as well.

# Every GeForce 7950GT
    # Every GeForce 7950GX2
    # MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD
    # MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256E-HD
    # MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus
    # Asus EN7600GT/HTDI/256MB
    # Asus EN7900GTX/2PHT/512M
    # GigaByte GV-NX76G256HI-RH
    # EVGA 7900 GTX 512MB RoHS w/HDCP
    # EVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS Fan
    # EVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS KO Fan
    # Leadtek WinFast PX7900 GS TDH
    # Leadtek WinFast PX7900 GS TDH Extreme
    # Leadtek WinFast PX7900 GTX TDH Extreme
    # XFX GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB
    # Albatron GeForce 7900 GS HDCP
    # IO Data GA-7600GSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

ta:)

a bit of research to do now

can anyone point me in direction of quiet one in this list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Like I said the primary problem is sourcing the cards.

Dabs has only 2 HDMI graphics cards the X1600 Pro and one of the MSI 7600GT cards both with fans. Pixmania also has the same card for €231.

What you could do is replace the fan on the 7600GT with something more quiet though it looks like MSI may have already done that as the fan in box shot does not look like the stock type.

As for passive there aren't too many 7600GT passive cards but oddly enough there are passive 7950GT cards but these come at a much higher price around €300+ see these MSI & XFX parts.

Advertisement