Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uefa Cup games tonight

• 02-11-2006 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Luque starts... Luque scores! Great cross by Milner on the left. Newcastle playing some nice passing football for a change and 1-0 up.
    Not bad for a team of wingers / no strikers

* 40 Krul
    * 26 Ramage
    * 18 Moore
    * 19 Bramble
    * 27 Taylor
    * 04 Solano
    * 05 Emre
    * 14 N'Zogbia
    * 16 Milner yellow card
    * 22 Butt
    * 07 Luque

Other latest scores:

Rangers 1-0 Maccabi Haifa

Tottenham 1-1 Club Bruges

Blackburn 0-0 Basle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Two great goals in the Spurs game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Tim Krul, only 18 and already a legend. Amazing double save, world class.

Another great save just there!

What a win for the Toon, against all the odds in the lion's den of the Serie A leaders :D

Krul would be my motm. Magnificent debut for the kid, probably deserves to start on Saturday now. Milner was also excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good night for all the British teams, did'nt see the Rovers match on Setanta but they might have been a bit lucky.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I had Newcastle at 7/2. Palermo fielded about 8 reserve players. They fielded an entirely different 11 in their previous UEFA cup game so I knew they'd do the same again. You get €70k for qualifying from your UEFA cup group and Italian clubs only seem to care about the money as they all field weakened teams. When I saw the Newcastle lineup I was confident as it was fairly strong.

I also took Partizan to beat Livorno at evens. Livorno apparantly had 28% possession and were totally outclassed but their keeper managed a flukey equaliser. :(

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I had Newcastle at 7/2. Palermo fielded about 8 reserve players. They fielded an entirely different 11 in their previous UEFA cup game so I knew they'd do the same again. You get €70k for qualifying from your UEFA cup group and Italian clubs only seem to care about the money as they all field weakened teams. When I saw the Newcastle lineup I was confident as it was fairly strong.

I also took Partizan to beat Livorno at evens. Livorno apparantly had 28% possession and were totally outclassed but their keeper managed a flukey equaliser. :(
    Nice bet, but personally I would never even considering putting money on a Newcastle game. I know there's a lot of bitter and disgruntled West Ham fans that lost money last night.

Palermo left out 5 first team regulars but brought out their the big guns early on in the second half. Newcastle on paper looked suprisingly strong considering they had 7 out of 10 players out that would normally be first choice - Given/Harper, Carr, Baba, Duff, Parker, Ameobi/Rossi/Martins, Owen.

kinaldo wrote:
    Nice bet, but personally I would never even considering putting money on a Newcastle game. I know there's a lot of disgruntled West Ham fans that lost money last night.

Palermo left out 5 first team regulars but brought out their the big guns early on in the second half.
    Looking at previous lineups Fontana, Dellafiore, Cassani, Tedesco, Parravicini, Munari, Brienza and Caracciolo all wouldn't make Palermo's strongest team. That's 8 players. They played their absolute strongest possible team in their 2 legs against West Ham. Their strongest team is lying 2nd in Serie A, they'd be expected to beat a West Ham team with no confidence.

Newcastle were the underdogs last night. They'd nothing to lose and no pressure on them. I'd say Palermo expected a weak Newcastle team considering the players not in the squad.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Looking at previous lineups Fontana, Dellafiore, Cassani, Tedesco, Parravicini, Munari, Brienza and Caracciolo all wouldn't make Palermo's strongest team. That's 8 players. They played their absolute strongest possible team in their 2 legs against West Ham. Their strongest team is lying 2nd in Serie A, they'd be expected to beat a West Ham team with no confidence.
    You're probably right, I had read 5 players in one of the newspaper reports but won't try to pretend I know the Palermo team off by name.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Newcastle were the underdogs last night. They'd nothing to lose and no pressure on them. I'd say Palermo expected a weak Newcastle team considering the players not in the squad.
    I certainly hope the players didn't go into the game thinking that. Pressure on Roeder and the board is mounting with every defeat or failure to score, and Luque's career was/is practically on the line. Some of us still think the Uefa Cup is even winable. Cup competitions are especially important for a club like Newcastle, and the Uefa Cup is unfortunately still the last one we won, and also the one we've done best in during recent seasons.

kinaldo wrote:
    I certainly hope the players didn't go into the game thinking that. Pressure on Roeder and the board is mounting with every defeat or failure to score, and Luque's career was/is practically on the line. Some of us still think the Uefa Cup is even winable.
    What I mean is Newcastle weren't expected to win. 6 points and you're virtually through to the next round (no team has ever got 6 and failed to get through). If Roeder really wanted to win he would have brought Duff, Parker and the other rested players.

eirebhoy wrote:
    What I mean is Newcastle weren't expected to win. 6 points and you're virtually through to the next round (no team has ever got 6 and failed to get through). If Roeder really wanted to win he would have brought Duff, Parker and the other rested players.
    True but it's still quite important to try and avoid a CL team, unless they happen to be Celtic :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs put in their best performance of the season last night, I was so glad I made the trip over.

Berbatov is a class act.

Spurs put in their best performance of the season last night, I was so glad I made the trip over.

Berbatov is a class act.
    u don't have linkys to the goals by any chance do u?

I'll see what I can do.

Thx. Some nice finishing from the Spurs strikers for a change. Good to see Robbie Keane on the scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blackburn started to look the better side for sure in the second half and they finally got what they needed in the end, but the scoreline defiantely flattered Blackburn more than anything else, 1-0 would have been much more accurate, but a draw would probably have been an even fairer reflection of the night. Neither team was particularly good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Blackburn were dreadful in the first half. Better in the second. Savage going off helped them because he was unfit. They say its the mark of a great team though that can play badly and win and Blackburn had a great win last night. After all, Basle were UEFA Cup semi-finalists last year.

I can't wait to see a Rovers team with the likes of Nelsen, Roberts and Red back. Nelsen and Reid are vital first team starters that are missing and Roberts should still come good.

kinaldo wrote:
    Thx. Some nice finishing from the Spurs strikers for a change. Good to see Robbie Keane on the scoresheet.

Thanks.

Much better quality video available on the boardsspurs forum here

Big files though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

18/18 points for the English clubs so far. Looking like the four English clubs in the Champions League will progress too.

Has that ever happened before?

Advertisement