Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

waxing upper lip

• 02-11-2006 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

if i get my uper lip waxed professionally will a shadow develop?im only 20 is it a bit early to do this because i guess once i start i will have to do it the rest of my life..and also how effective is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

if i get my uper lip waxed professionally will a shadow develop?im only 20 is it a bit early to do this because i guess once i start i will have to do it the rest of my life..and also how effective is it?
    Why don't you bleach it? Its much easier, less painful and more cost effective than waxing. If you have lots of hair, why don't you try electolysis? That can cost a bit and does hurt but has more long term solutions. You could also push the boat out and get laser but it is very expensive and on women it doesn't have much of a success rate. This is due to our wonderful hormones and any change in these such as changing your Pill, pregnancy etc can trigger hair regrowth again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭SueL

Hi! I'm a Beauty Therapist, you definately won't get a shadow, that only happens after shaving, I promise! Waxing once doesn't mean you ever have to do it again, it won't make any difference if you decide after the first time that you don't want to do it again. Don't wax more than once a month either.
    If you just have a few annoying hairs try electrolysis, or if your growth is quite fine you'll get away with bleaching it.
    Ask advice in your local Salon, they'll help you decide on either waxing, bleaching or electrolysis. good luck! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I wax mine about once every couple of months, the only bad thing about it is I tend to get a slight rash for about a week after, little red spots appear and are quite annoying, I'm wondering is there a lotion or cream I use after waxing to stop this... I use the Immac face and bikini line strips...

Try some antiseptic cream (tea-tree or savlon) for a couple of days after waxing it, and don't use any make-up or fake tan till the next day. If the spots are quite bad, use a purifying mask the day after you wax. Always make sure you don't touch the area you've just waxed without washing your hands first. Some brands of wax irritate a bit, so try a different brand next time out of interest.
    Hope this helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 musthavelight

so could my regrowth end up being finer than the actual hairs i have right now?..bleach doesnt seem to take to them,ive done it at home and professionally and it doesnt quite cover them up.also will the regrowth not look like i have stubble and will i have to wait for the hairs to reach a certain length before i can wax again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Waxing will make your hairs grow through finer as the pulling it creates on your hair follicles weakens them so some of them can't grow more hair (traction alopecia).

You'll have to let the hairs grow a bit before you get them waxed, I find people usually wax around every 4-5 weeks. Don't bother with the bleach, some hairs are too thick for it to penetrate. The regrowth from waxing is really soft-tipped and fine, and comes in dribs and drabs over a coulple of weeks. You can bleach these hairs in between waxing sessions if they bother you.
    If your local Salon offers the use of a Hair Growth Inhibitor with your waxing I would recommend it. The hairs should lighten in colour and texture over time. There are a few brands out there, one is called Propil, so ask them about it. It will add about 5 euro to the cost, but will be worth it.

Thanks SueL, I waxed the other day and I put some Hydrochortisone cream on and that seems to have helped, got one or two blemishes but nothing like what it was...

glad you saw a difference, sometimes the simplest of things can make the difference. just one thing though, hydrocortisone may be a bit strong to put on tender, just-waxed skin, so next time try savlon or tea-tree cream (you'll get it in Boots) and you may find you dont get ANY blemishes! :) I use tea-tree cream in my Salon on all my clients and they love it! Its really cooling too.

SueL wrote:
    glad you saw a difference, sometimes the simplest of things can make the difference. just one thing though, hydrocortisone may be a bit strong to put on tender, just-waxed skin, so next time try savlon or tea-tree cream (you'll get it in Boots) and you may find you dont get ANY blemishes! :) I use tea-tree cream in my Salon on all my clients and they love it! Its really cooling too.

yeah I'll give that a try next time, cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Im gonna start waxing my lip and was just wondeing which home kits would ye recommend as the best?? veet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Yes get the Veet kit (in the yellow box) it is the business and you get loads of strips. I would use the strips twice they are so sticky. Don't bother with the Boots own-brand one, the strips aren't that strong.

By the way a good thing to do if you get any wax on your face, Johnson's baby lotion (pink bottle) gets it off.

Here's the veet one:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_enlarge.jsp?productid=1006512&classificationid=1039098&slmRefer=000&imageid=1

Advertisement