Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL gone to hell?

• 02-11-2006 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

I've been lucky so far....but right now I'm getting appalling speeds. Tried downloading a Linux distro from Heanet ftp server and it settled at about 26KB/sec :(
    Ping -t to Boards.ie and Jolt.co.uk are averaging around 100ms with 12% packet loss.
    Anyone else in the sh*te?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Post the link to the distro and ill try and download it now.

Actually yeah im getting really crap speed aswell, the video on youtube keeps stopping every ten seconds or so to buffer some more!!

someone in my house said that the internet wasnt working earlier on. I just assumed the modem needed to be reset but maybe there was a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Kablammo

Try that one for size, cheers Christophicus, I know you had more than your fairshare of problems in the past.

Yeah i shure have ,although recently I have been getting somewhere close to what i should be getting ,although only on torrents for some reason.

Ok it seems to be staying at between 20 and 25 KB/s off of that file, although i just turned on my toorent and i still gett the same speed on that file whil downloading from the torrent,but im only getting around 50KB/s from the torrent, i should be getting alot more.

Cheers, looks like there is a problem so. I'll head to the pub and see what happens when I get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I had a phone call from NTL this evening to see if I want their broadband. I do want broadband (wireless) but would like peoples opinions on best option. Are NTL worth going with or do you have other recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I also tried that link you posted and I am getting less than 20KBps here on ntl in waterford also. Its was fine earlier on as I was downloading stuff from Heanet @370KBps

Everything seems back to normal, maybe they were working on it last night.
    @ Deisemum, I would actually recommend NTL, but of course YMMV. Incidents like last night are few and far between, but again for some people that seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

yea last nite was pretty crap for me too, most of the nite the speeds were rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

The speed has been a bit of a joke the past couple of nights, dropping to ISDN speeds on the 3 meg package. I know the connection is shared and I'll never get the full whack to myself, but the speeds I've been getting are very poor.

Seems better tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Please bear in mind that they are in the middle of a merger which could have some effect on performance as UPC overhaul their internal systems and integrate their own hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

They have just switched over to the UPC servers and their may be a few teething problems.I know the new modems have been giving a bit of trouble. Name change shortly for Ntl and Chorus to UPC. These guys are serious players in the Global BB market and will spare no money getting the system up to top spec so they can provide all their future services at high speed. The previous owners (NTL)spent very little on the network in the last few years so they inherited a pig. Watch this space though its going to get very competitive with 10meg plus on the way. DSl will be history in a few years.
    http://www.lgi.com/europe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

deisemum wrote:
    I had a phone call from NTL this evening to see if I want their broadband.
    Got the same phonecall from NTL. It was sort of brief. The salesperson claimed that NTL was offering an unlimited service. So I asked about the download limits. The salesperson quickly found out that my definition of unlimited access involved no download restrictions.
    Are NTL worth going with or do you have other recommendations?
    It depends on the end use. It is cheap. It is available. I think that DSL is available for most of this area and if you are on Eircom, it might be worth keeping it all on one account. It your line passes for DSL, you have other options as well.

Regards...jmcc

NTL seems to be good during the day but drops away to nothing during the nights and evenings. It's reoprting in as a 2.95Mb line at the moment, but later on I bet it will be in or around ISDN speeds. I wonder do they work on it during the evenings and nights?

Roen wrote:
    NTL seems to be good during the day but drops away to nothing during the nights and evenings. It's reoprting in as a 2.95Mb line at the moment, but later on I bet it will be in or around ISDN speeds. I wonder do they work on it during the evenings and nights?
    Warez dudes and troughers cause contention problems. When they are at work/college/school in the day time, there is little usage and d/l speeds are good. As soon as they get home, the contention ratio goes to hell and you have 20 - 50 people fighting over the bandwidth (or whatever NTL's contention ratio is).

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Warez dudes and troughers cause contention problems. When they are at work/college/school in the day time, there is little usage and d/l speeds are good. As soon as they get home, the contention ratio goes to hell and you have 20 - 50 people fighting over the bandwidth (or whatever NTL's contention ratio is).

Regards...jmcc
    I don't think contention is the problem here, time of day has never affected my speeds and QOS before, maybe my line is oversubscribed now. A few people are reporting difficulties so I doubt it though.

Roen wrote:
    I don't think contention is the problem here, time of day has never affected my speeds and QOS before, maybe my line is oversubscribed now. A few people are reporting difficulties so I doubt it though.
    It could also be self-connectors? Sometimes you get people who decide to try and get cable for free and they can mess up the connection for subscribers if they don't know what they are doing.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I doubt it would be downloaders. Most downloaders would leave their pc on overnight and if anything would download (and upload) less during the evening when they thsmselves are more likely to use the internet for their own personal use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do NTL have any form of cap on their service?

Yes they do . on the 6Mb pack its 40 GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Just got off the phone to NTL as I am experiencing very slooooow downloads etc. they are sending someone out even though I told him that this problem was being reported by several people and more than likely it was their network at fault.

• Advertisement

Getting really slow speeds tonight again.

Gone to sh*te this evening :mad:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Meself>ping -t ftp.heanet.ie

Pinging ftp.heanet.ie [193.1.193.64] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=368ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=394ms TTL=52
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=379ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=376ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=382ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=409ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=374ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=418ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=396ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=383ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=371ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=368ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=363ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=579ms TTL=52
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=434ms TTL=52
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=392ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=418ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=424ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=370ms TTL=52
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=433ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=468ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=389ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 193.1.193.64:
        Packets: Sent = 29, Received = 23, Lost = 6 (20% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 357ms, Maximum = 579ms, Average = 401ms

And worse to other servers, download speeds of about 4kbps.
    Strong words over the phone tomorrow I think!

I was the same last night...upload spped of 23K and download speed around the 96K mark....

I would be better off with a 56K modem... costsing me 45 per month as I don't watch Cable TV as I have SKY HD

Going to tell them either fix it or I'm gone

LOl. It was rediculouse, I was trying to post here for 30 mins, and it just wouldnt work.

I got less then 2000 packets in 13 MINS!!!! thats rediculous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My speeds are terrible lately. I'm maxed out at 30K from esat trying to get debian. Normally I get 600 - 700KB/s from heanet and esat.

I called them today, and try as I might I just can't be a bollox to some poor soul on the other end of a phone.
    Anyway, a broadband tech head will give me a call "sometime within the next twenty four hours."
    And then pigs will fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Roen wrote:
    I called them today, and try as I might I just can't be a bollox to some poor soul on the other end of a phone.
    Anyway, a broadband tech head will give me a call "sometime within the next twenty four hours."
    And then pigs will fly.

Yep.. Same here. Still waiting for that technician.. 2 weeks now!

I sent them an e-mail.. if I don't hear back by the end of the week I am going instigate a formal complaint to Comreg and the advertising standards agency...

I am not getting the service I am paying for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Bards wrote:
    I sent them an e-mail.. if I don't hear back by the end of the week I am going instigate a formal complaint to Comreg and the advertising standards agency...

I am not getting the service I am paying for

Sent them an email too:mad: The problem is widespread in Waterford as i can gather. Was talking to 5 people today in work with NTL and they all are have dire speeds. At least if they admitted there was a general problem we might have a chance of getting it fixed.

Advertisement