Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL gone to hell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Roen wrote:
    Anyway, a broadband tech head will give me a call "sometime within the next twenty four hours."
    And then pigs will fly.

In all fairness they told me one friday that they would get back to me by the end of the day. They didnt do that , but they did get back to me the following monday, which i was quite pleased with.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

All the staff out on the cork road were suppose to have walked out last week. When I rang Tech support tonight, I was put through to Limerick and it was explained to me, that at very short notice the Chorus customer call centre were told that they would be handeling NTL calls from now on. They have no database to work from as of yet, but they do hope to have it up and running my tomorrow morning. So all they can do for the moment is log all our calls.

Broadband support will now be done from Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Aquos76 wrote:
    All the staff out on the cork road were suppose to have walked out last week.

dunno where you heard this.:rolleyes:
    they are still there. I know some of the people in the place.
    Aquos76 wrote:
    They have no database to work from as of yet, but they do hope to have it up and running my tomorrow morning. So all they can do for the moment is log all our calls.

Broadband support will now be done from Dublin

both the ntl & chorus call centres are getting new systems.
    that's why they were not able to do anything over the past few days.

BB support are still in Waterford as well.

Waterford CC is not closing til the end of Dec

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

dunno where you heard this.:rolleyes:
    they are still there. I know some of the people in the place.

From the girl on the end of the 1800234234 number which I called tonight. I was surprised to hear this also.
    both the ntl & chorus call centres are getting new systems.
    that's why they were not able to do anything over the past few days

I can only repeat what she told me so don't shoot the messenger.
    BB support are still in Waterford as well.

Waterford CC is not closing til the end of Dec[

That's funny, because when they called me back last Wednesday, it was a Dublin guy on the phone, and he definitely said that he was based in Dublin.

Like you, I was also under the impression that they would all be kept on until the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

my pistols never left their holsters :D

nice to see that those running the show now don't know what's going on in the other call centre

bodes well for the future :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Talking to a mate in sales there and he was given a finish date of last week, they could well be gone by now. Maybe there's just a skeleton staff there.

Gone beyond a joke now, they either fix their **** or I'm off, UPC my hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

Roen wrote:
    Gone beyond a joke now, they either fix their **** or I'm off, UPC my hole.

Have you got AOL on line there?, it might be a lot cheaper because the lines will be shorter!:rolleyes:

its gone ****e for me againn. Worse then 56k speeds, Is it that bad for everyone else in waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yep.. pathetic again for me too. I was hitting almost my 2mb connection over the past 24 hrs but Im down to around 240kbps now.

• Advertisement

Its gone back to normall for me now. ( although normall is only getting 2Mb on a 6Mb line!!!) Although the pings are still unusally high,which is really annoying, I cant play cs when its like this!!

I asked them to escalate my call on Friday...I wait with baited breath for Monday when the mighty wheels in NTL customer support start turning and my every broadband dream comes true.

Roen wrote:
    I asked them to escalate my call on Friday...I wait with baited breath for Monday when the mighty wheels in NTL customer support start turning and my every broadband dream comes true.

I'm amazed you got through.. how long did you have to wait? Did you get anywhere with them when you asked for the issue to be escalated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I know NTL are rubbish lately but I swear I'm never waiting more than 5 minutes when I call them up. I must be just lucky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mines horrendous also, happy to see this thread though, at least its not just me.

Trotter wrote:
    I'm amazed you got through.. how long did you have to wait? Did you get anywhere with them when you asked for the issue to be escalated?
    I waited only about 2 minutes from when it actually started ringing an operator til she answered.
    No, my request for escalation has fallen on deaf ears :( I'm still waiting, and am likely to wait for some time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Roen wrote:
    I waited only about 2 minutes from when it actually started ringing an operator til she answered.
    No, my request for escalation has fallen on deaf ears :( I'm still waiting, and am likely to wait for some time to come.

Looks like things are back to normal. Checked speeds now (9:00pm) on www.speedtest.ie and www.irishisptest.com and both sites show I have 1.95 Megs down and 200k up.:D Quality of service 99%.:D At last!

Nowhere near normal for me I'm afraid. 2.80Mb on Irishisptest....but a mightily unimpressive 15KB/sec for this iso

Also other http transfers are going dog slow and normal browsing is painfully slow too.
    Oh well I live in diminishing hope.

Not quite. Im on the 6 Mb package and am opnly getting 1.5 Mb down but my upspeed is 513 Kbps which is around what it should be . QOS = 66%.

:(

Im getting the same speeds on that Iso as you Roen. Although if you look at the NTL thread in the BB forum you will see that apparently downloading from sites outside of Ireland is ok. :(

Roen wrote:
    Nowhere near normal for me I'm afraid. 2.80Mb on Irishisptest....but a mightily unimpressive 15KB/sec for this iso

Also other http transfers are going dog slow and normal browsing is painfully slow too.
    Oh well I live in diminishing hope.

Roen - I just checked Heanet and speeds are dire from that site (could be an internal issue). I've checked www.apple.com/itunes along with www.speedtest.ie and everything is 100%. Checked with two friends who were also affected and they're back up as well.

Dump the Heanet link and try the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I wonder if my little letter to Comreg had anything to do with it:D

Bards wrote:
    I wonder if my little letter to Comreg had anything to do with it:D

Comreg told me that they dont have anything to do with broadband. The girl just gave me the number of NTL head office and said bye bye. Highly helpful alright.

Com Reg.. Communications Regulator. Only in Ireland is the broadband concept nothing to do with communications.

Trotter wrote:
    Comreg told me that they dont have anything to do with broadband. The girl just gave me the number of NTL head office and said bye bye. Highly helpful alright.

Com Reg.. Communications Regulator. Only in Ireland is the broadband concept nothing to do with communications.

Just tried the speeds again now - still stable.:D 1.95 Megs from www.apple.com/itunes (just start downloading the iTunes setup file - you don't have to download it fully. Multiply the transfer rate by 8 to get the bitrate)and downloading a driver file for an epson c66 from this link:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/SoftwareListing.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=0CCCCE1C7A045DC389B2BF959634B555F59F353BADEA9752BB29D3BAE041F93F

Getting odd results, 300-350KB/sec from Rapidshare but my Debain iso from Heanet started off at 1440KB/sec and settled at about 12KB/sec......something weird there!

Roen wrote:
    Getting odd results, 300-350KB/sec from Rapidshare but my Debain iso from Heanet started off at 1440KB/sec and settled at about 12KB/sec......something weird there!

Yeah - Heanet appears to be fcuked. Did you try the Epson link?

I didn't even notice it tbh, I just tried and got about 370KB/sec down. I wonder is it just Heanet that are kaput or are all ftp transfers slow.

It must be NTL, my mate is getting 4000KB/sec in his work place from Heanet and I'm getting 20KB/sec on the exact same .iso
    :mad:

My follow up call came today while I was out, a full week after they said they'd ring. Ah well.

The message yer man left said they were working on upgrades in the area and that if I didn't notice any improvements in a week to give them a ring back.

YEah they are always "working on upgrades" . Its quite pathetic really.

• Advertisement

Roen wrote:
    I didn't even notice it tbh, I just tried and got about 370KB/sec down. I wonder is it just Heanet that are kaput or are all ftp transfers slow.

This looks like a good one. I get inconsistent results from the two Itish ones, but if you run this, say, three times (just refresh the page - it automatically does the check when you log onto the site) and divide your total results by three it will give you an average of your speed.

I'd be interested to know how others got on with different ISPs. I'm with NTL.

http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/speedtest50.html

Advertisement