Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car radios and ISO connectors

Options
  • 02-11-2006 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

hey all

I've a car radio q for anone that can help.
    Just bought a 96 Punto and there was no radio in it, (taken by previous owner). Going to go looking for a new head unit and I've been looking on Ebay etc for a nice one. Thing is I don't know a huge amount about the connectors involved.

Basically what I have in the car are two plugs (eight pins in each)(i think). One is black and one is white. Are these ISO connectors? or will I have to buy a conversion kit to fit a modern radio?

If anyone can help that'd be cool, if I've confused people or no one knows what I'm on about, i can take pics of them. Just let me know.

cheers
    baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

nurse_baz wrote:
    hey all

Basically what I have in the car are two plugs (eight pins in each)(i think). One is black and one is white. Are these ISO connectors? or will I have to buy a conversion kit to fit a modern radio?

They sound like ISO to me. One should have all the power wiring and the other all the speaker wiring. On some cars the speaker pairs are twisted together. They should look like the connectors in the photo.

pc308smallre3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They should be ISO connectors, the only non standard thing I've noted on fiats is the aerial connector. You may need an adaptor for this, alternatively you could just cut off the connector, trim back the cable and bodge it. I've done this a couple of times without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i think they look vaguely like that picture alright, though they are 2 separate modules.

i noticed what u say alias about the aerial alright. Was thinking that might need to be a bodge job, as does the aerial itself, as its missing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you do bodge it, make sure that you keep the sheild of the outter coaxial cable around the insulated centre core. Use aluminium foil if you have to - it will avoid unwanted interference - especially if you listen to medium wave - BBC 5 for example.

The photo shows the pair of ISO connectors as one block - it's also quite common for them to be two seperate connectors.

cool stuff
    thanks for the help both of ya. too cold to go checking the connectors now but i'll update if i've any grief.

cheers again

baz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

as far as I know those Puntos would've come with Grundig or Blaupunkt headunit, so should be universal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Fiat Punto 96 doesn't require any adaptors.
    They are standard ISO connectors, like in the picture above.
    When you fit an after market radio like Sony, etc... the only thing required is an aerial adaptor like this one here

65_051_520.jpg

cheers louie,
    checked today and the aerial connection loks just like that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

then you don't need that part either, just the radio.

cheers for the help then lads
    much appreciated
    now off to liffey valley to find a radio!

• Advertisement
Advertisement