Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband 2MB down 256k up issues !!

Options
  • 02-11-2006 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

I have Eircoms 2mb broadband package which is advertised as 2mb dl 256k up..

My Netopia router settings shows the following speed

Speed
    928/256 (kbps)

I only noticed this after I updated the firmware on the router. Is this a configuration issue or is this set by Eircom.

I notice my downloads of free linux distros (ahem) are really slow too , could Eircom be blocking / slowing my connection ???

or is this normal eircom service ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

LizardKing wrote:
    I have Eircoms 2mb broadband package which is advertised as 2mb dl 256k up..

My Netopia router settings shows the following speed

Speed
    928/256 (kbps)

I only noticed this after I updated the firmware on the router. Is this a configuration issue or is this set by Eircom.

I notice my downloads of free linux distros (ahem) are really slow too , could Eircom be blocking / slowing my connection ???

or is this normal eircom service ?

Why would Eircom be blocking your connection?:rolleyes:

Have you tried rebooting the router to see if it will sync at a better speed?

Have you had speed problems before? Have you checked your line stats?

If you line is poor the router will attempt to sync at the best possible speed.

What was the performance like before you updated the firmware?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well if its any use my eircom 3mb down 384 kbps up connection has been terrible for almost 5 weeks now.
    Im getting absolutely nowhere with their support.
    Ingame pings are 300 plus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

rebooted it a few times and reset settings back to factory defaults .. speed is listed as 1344/256 (kbps) now ... it seems to be fixing itself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Unplug everything from the phone line and plug the router directly into the phone socket (without a filter) and reboot the router. Check your sync speeds again. There may be something plugged in that's causing interference on the line.
    Though, as Dub said, your line may not be up to the full 2meg.

Advertisement