Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

six months pregnant and heart palps

Options
  • 03-11-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

My wife is six months pregnant but has developed heart palpatations...we told the consultant and after a referal to another consultant were more or less told there is no problem. The thing is,is that its very upsetting for my wife....she sometimes cries herself to sleep with fear that there is something more serious wrong.... and this is just breaking my heart....I just find it so hard that I cant just fix it for her, also Im trying to be the one who is rock solid for her but Im just as worried,although I havent shown it.

I was just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experiance to this.She isnt tired..she gets nearly10 hours sleep every night and doesnt drink tea or coffee,and at every hospital check is told she is as fit as a fiddle.
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The heart has to pump extra hard as it is pumping for two and has to circulate the blood through the placenta into the baby and out again.
    It can certainly be a stresser, but if the dr and consultants have cleared her and she is making all her prenatal check up and the medical staff are happy she should be fine.

Is this your first pregancy ?

It is common once you get to the stage where the baby is making it's presence felt with kick and moving and wriggling it is normal to get the fear.

Fear that everything is normal in there were you can't see and tell.
    fear that the changes that your body are growing through are not natural ( as you never have done this before ).
    Fear due to the lack of feeling of control of your body.

Is there anyone she can talk to about this ?
    Her Mam, sisters, cousins, friends that have been pregant ?
    Failing that why not get in touch with one of the midwifes of the hospital you are attending and ask can they take the time to have a chat with her.

Admit you are worried and scared and a little fearful of what is to come to her may not be a bad things either. might help her open up and talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

As Thaed said, her body is working extra hard at the moment to provide oxygen for both the baby and mum and if the doctors say it's fine, then there really is no need to worry.

My wife's 30 weeks pregnant atm and her body's undergoing a lot of change / extra stress to provide for the baby. One thing I've found very useful at night time is a gentle massage before sleep time (we use bio-oil to help prevent stretch marks, you can get this in any chemist and its smell also helps relax mum). Lights out = zonked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys...thanks for the response.

I was kinda thinking along those lines about how much extra the body has to cope with,but i think i just wanted to hear somebody else confirm it for me.

The idea of the bio oil sounds good. Iv tried givving her a massage before but Im just totally useless at it...I think it probably just irratates her more than relaxes her.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a service that comes to your house to give massage....or if there was anywhere I could maybe book her in for a surprise??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My heart used to race from time to time when I was pregnant... your wifes heart is under a lot more pressure and has to work harder... my Obstetrician told me heart flutters in pregnant women are actually pretty common.

Oh, and the fear thing is completely natural .. my whole pregnancy I thought that my baby would be born with a defect of some kind that they'd missed on scans etc... its perfectly normal to worry about such things but if both your wife and the baby are doing well, she should try her best not to freak out. Stress on a body already pushed to its limits physically will only be detrimental to her and to the baby.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

kaiser1 wrote:
    The idea of the bio oil sounds good. Iv tried givving her a massage before but Im just totally useless at it...I think it probably just irratates her more than relaxes her.

Ah, you could even just rub it in gently and slowly. It doesn't have to be a big sensual massage. :) At bed time, all you're looking for is something nice and relaxing...and rubbing in oil fits that bill.

There are a few places that do pregnancy massages (where do you live?). I know of one in Balbriggan that's supposed to be excellent. I'm not aware of any that come to your house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

kaiser1 wrote:
    Hey guys...thanks for the response.

I was kinda thinking along those lines about how much extra the body has to cope with,but i think i just wanted to hear somebody else confirm it for me.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a service that comes to your house to give massage....or if there was anywhere I could maybe book her in for a surprise??

I think one of the pregnancy shops on or off Dawson Street does pregnancy massage. My sister inlaw got my wife a present of one last year when she was pregnant and it went down very well. (apparently there is a hole in the table to accomodate the bump).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think I actually saw that shop on Dawson St....but I didnt know they did anything like that...thats great Linford!!!!..thanks a mill. Ill try and get her in there for a nice massage.

Took me a while to get back on here...great excitement here lastnight...I actually saw wifes stomach move during one of babogs more vigorous movements.Funny how something so small gives such great excitement.:D

Advertisement