Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

english reg car drivers, watch out!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What if one were to put on false Latvian plates on an UK car even if it was right hand drive (seen a few RHD foreighn reg cars here). there's likely SFA that the Gardai no the customs could do.
    I don't get you? They can take the car if it's not registered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

did I say I wasn't going to pay vrt at all? - I spent slightly over my budget and couldn't immediately pay vrt - I need a car to get to work and had been relying on a coworker for a few weeks which put him out of his way, which I didn't like doing.

I never said I was hard done by gyppo, this was a word of warning to those in a similiar situation to me - what's the title of the post??

I'm glad to see such outstanding citizens like milltown, gyppo and larry david visiting the forum to lend their opinion for a better Ireland - we should all take a leaf out of their books:rolleyes:

"Delinquint chancer", "scum"!? - thanks, ya made my day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

they run checkes for green diesel but can only do this when the gardai are with them. Customs cant stop you without having a garda present
    True, you have to be stationery, hence the OP's experience.

But customs do have more powers than the guards in certain circumstances - for example they can knock on your door and enter and search your premesis without requiring a warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

land9 wrote:
    did I say I wasn't going to pay vrt at all? - I spent slightly over my budget and couldn't immediately pay vrt - I need a car to get to work and had been relying on a coworker for a few weeks which put him out of his way, which I didn't like doing.

Well I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you must immediately pay VRT - the next working day after the car enters the country - thats the law, whether you agree with it or not.
    land9 wrote:
    I never said I was hard done by gyppo, this was a word of warning to those in a similiar situation to me - what's the title of the post??
    land9 wrote:
    I was kinda p*ssed off at this because I bought my last car from england as well, drove it on english plates for 2 months and they handed me a cert without any fuss.
    Had you overspent your budget that time as well?
    land9 wrote:
    I spend tuesday and yesterday in a bad mood, because I had to come up with just over €2k to make my car Irish
    Thats awful! Sounds to me like you were hard done by.

land9 wrote:
    I'm glad to see such outstanding citizens like milltown, gyppo and larry david visiting the forum to lend their opinion for a better Ireland - we should all take a leaf out of their books:rolleyes:

"Delinquint chancer", "scum"!? - thanks, ya made my day:D

You forgot "Sap" - that was the term I used.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What if one were to put on false Latvian plates on an UK car even if it was right hand drive (seen a few RHD foreighn reg cars here). there's likely SFA that the Gardai no the customs could do.

Here'sa good false Latvian reg for your UK RHD car: NIC KME (12 stars)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

...seen a few RHD foreighn reg cars here...
    Probably on Russian plates - they like their Japanese imports too over there, and I've seen a Toyota Town Ace or something like that on Russian plates here before.

Unless you were seeing cars from Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey - they have plates different to the UK but are all RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

i can't believe the reaction you have had to your post Land9.

All you were doing was giving a friendly warning to other UK importers about the potential pitfalls of not having the entire amount of money to pay VRT.

C'mon lets look at this in perspective. The government made €930m in VRT charges on cars alone in 2004. This tax is considered in essence illegal by the EU (Google Search: Lazlo Kovacs & VRT - Trawl through some nice long EU proposals if you don't believe me) who want to introduce an emissions based tax on cars instead of VRT. The government also have the right to increase the Open Market Selling Price on cars if there is a significant increase in the number of a specific model being imported to the country which isn't exactly fair either IMO.

So what harm is Land9 doing bringing a car in at a economical price that is available from the over taxed Irish car prices and not paying the VRT for a couple of months. Does the person who called him scum realise what scum actually is

Scum is a drug dealer, a rapist, a murderer. Not someone who avoids paying a minor tax charge on a car for a short period.

Its not even as if he was trying to evade it altogether by buying plates and a log book from a dodgy car breakers and not paying VRT at all. Give the guy a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lassykk wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    So you consider it OK to evade a tax that you don't like paying? :rolleyes:

I must contact my employer and tell them that I don't like paying income tax and wish to discontinue doing so. :rolleyes: Or if I buy something in a shop only to discover that I don't have enought to pay the VAT, the shopkeeper is going to say it's allright? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Ok, I see your point, but lets put it another way, what if you just bought a brand new BMW X5 with total price tag of say 100,000euro incl VRT/VAT, then the next day you drive it home and your next door neighbour has exactly the same car with UK reg bought for 40,000 Stg. I'd say you'd be pretty pi$$ed off that you had to pay all that tax and your next door neighbour didn't.

I wonder how many days it would take you to ring your local VRO office and report him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Ok, I see your point, but lets put it another way, what if you just bought a brand new BMW X5 with total price tag of say 100,000euro incl VRT/VAT, then the next day you drive it home and your next door neighbour has exactly the same car with UK reg bought for 40,000 Stg. I'd say you'd be pretty pi$$ed off that you had to pay all that tax and your next door neighbour didn't.

I wonder how many days it would take you to ring your local VRO office and report him?

By buying a 100k car as pointless as the MX5 and stuffing the guts of 40k down the governements insatiable throat you've only proven that you have more money than sense.
    No matter how quickly you report your neighbour ... it still doesn't change that :D

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:
    By buying a 100k car as pointless as the MX5 and stuffing the guts of 40k down the governements insatiable throat you've only proven that you have more money than sense.
    No matter how quickly you report your neighbour ... it still doesn't change that :D

If I had 100K I certainly wouldn't be rushing out and buying a new X5, but somebody will, that same person probably pays he's income tax, house stamp duty, vat on everything he buys, and maybe even a TV licence :D.

He will bitch and moan about it until the cows come home, but what else can he do?, if you want to live in this country you have to pay these OTT taxes, if you don't either live somewhere else, or go to jail:D

theres one point though ...

neither VAT nor stamp duty nor TV licences are considered dodgy to plain illegal under EU laws.

peasant wrote:
    theres one point though ...

neither VAT nor stamp duty nor TV licences are considered dodgy to plain illegal under EU laws.

I would consider 9% stamp duty on a second hand house valued 635,000 and over very dodgy:D (not to mention the 635,000 price tag in the first place!)

If VRT is "plain illegal under EU laws", than why haven't the EU stopped the Irish Government from charging VRT by now?, because I suspect the can't, which means it will carry on, if the EU can't stop it, what chance have the Irish people? A general election? No. because the opposition will also want the money.

Maybe we should all drive around in Bangers until the VRT is dropped;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

land9 wrote:
    wasn't planning on clearing it for a month or two cause I don't have total vrt cost saved up yet....
    This is a common occurance lately (locally) and the guys who caught me seemed to be just spinning around looking for foreign cars.
    Oh dear, you're illegally driving a foreign registered car and planned to evade 'a month or two' worth or road tax, and they're actually enforcing the law?
    The bastards!:rolleyes:

Ok firstly Wishbone Ash:

I said avoid tax not evade. Tink there mite be a difference btween the words. land9 never said at any point that he was not going to pay the tax merely that he was deferring it for a while. What a terrible, terrible person that makes him!!!

Mc-BigE I'm so glad i'm not your neighbour. I can't belive you would ring and report someone about something like this. I wouldn't in a million years ring and report someone over VRT. What sort of person does that?? My neighbour would be gonna pay the VRT eventually and what difference does it make to me or the Government if its delayed until such time as they can afford it. Hardly a criminal mastermind at work. If he bought plates from a breakers off a crashed but not an insurance write off X5 to evade (Wishbone Ash: Note the usage of the word) then i wouldn't be as happy but thats not the issue

Mc-BigE wrote:

I am ....:D

( no pasaran, viva la revolucion and all that ...:p )

Mc-BigE wrote:
    If VRT is "plain illegal under EU laws", than why haven't the EU stopped the Irish Government from charging VRT by now?, because I suspect the can't, which means it will carry on, if the EU can't stop it, what chance have the Irish people? A general election? No. because the opposition will also want the money.

Or perhaps the Irish people would rather pay VRT than pay the same tax in another form. Personally, I have no problem with current rates of VRT. Or stamp duty, for that matter.

lassykk wrote:
    The difference it makes is that your neighbour would be illegally in possession of our government's money. In the meantime (if you follow me) our government would not.

lassykk wrote:

I never said that, but as your asking, i'd be pretty pi$$ed off about it, but i shouldn't have to do the custom's job for them!

Anyway i think this discussion is probably pointless because the Insurance companies are already clamping down on Irish residents insuring UK cars in Ireland for long periods of time.

Unless you think its ok to drive around without insurance that everybody else has to/should pay;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

lassykk wrote:

As you say, he was merely deferring it for a while. After all, the poor thing, he was only after buying a BMW - how could he be expected to have the money to pay the VRT as well??:eek:

The VRT he would pay is a percentage of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP). The OMSP reduces as the car gets older; therefore the VRT reduces as the car gets older. So, the longer the VRT issue is put on the long finger, the less VRT you have to pay - sharp practice? - I think so.

• Advertisement

yeah i must admit the discussion is a bit pointless given the insurance situation... but nothing like a bit of banter on a quiet tues morn!!!

and Anan1 i do follow u i jus wouldn't be overly concerned about it as i feel there are far more pressing issues for people in positions of power to consider than delayed payment of VRT but i do see where ur comin from. If u were to live by the letter of the law wot ur sayin makes sense. I jus don't feel the need to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lassykk wrote:

Just like Bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

gyppo wrote:
    ..The VRT he would pay is a percentage of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP). The OMSP reduces as the car gets older; therefore the VRT reduces as the car gets older. So, the longer the VRT issue is put on the long finger, the less VRT you have to pay - sharp practice? - I think so.

That's not actually true.

The OMSP's that the VRT use is the estimated price that the Revenue place on cars. They regularly review these values (especially on cars that seem to be coming in a lot) and as a thread here earlier in the year highlighted, this price is very regularly adjusted upwards.

I know this for a fact myself. I imported a 99 318 Coupe in January. When I went to import a 98 with less mileage in April, the VRT was actually more than I had paid on the first car.

So it is not true to say that if you leave it a few months you will have to pay less VRT.

lassykk wrote:
    If nobody paid tax until it suited them then the system would collapse. Your argument regarding drug dealers, rapists, murderers etc is quite simply irrelevant.

One bit of advice that I would give the OP is always question and appeal the OSMP quoted on the website, look out for similar cars for sale here cheaper than the OSMP, print out the VRT quote everytime you go into the website and see is the VRT going up or down.

But normally the OSMP quoted is cheaper than a car sold in a dealer, but not always.

If you discover that you have a lot of work to do to the car just after you've paid VRT, keep all receipts for the work carried out and appeal the amount on the grounds that the car, when VRT'd was over-valued.

Also keep checking the website a few weeks after you've paid VRT and if it drops a lot (it will drop small amount every month) appeal it. you have 30days to appeal after the VRT is paid.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few points:
    1. VRT is not illegal - its just unfair! Most EU states have a form of VRT, its just that their rates are not as high as ours.
    2. It is the law to pay it, same as it is mandatory to pay for motor insurance, income tax, etc..
    3. If VRT was removed how much are you going to lose on the value of your car? Also will you be happy with the resultant increase in income tax (or whatever tax is introduced to fill the void)?
    4. The money raised from VRT goes to the exchequer and is used for hospitals, roads, tribunals, etc. There is a way to remove VRT or have its funds directed towards roads only - this is called an election.
    5. The customs staff on the roads are doing their job - are they scum for that? Are they still scum for doing searches at ports for drugs?
    6. Im not going to edit any more of this thread - the next step will be to delete it and the user that prompts that action!

OK Anan1... the point i made which included the term drug dealer, murderer & rapist related to the fact that someone on this thread called last9 scum (this has since been edited to remove the abuse). Someone who doesn't pay their VRT on time is not scum, plain and simple. I don't particularly care that you think that its irrelevant, its my opinion on the subject.

I am aware of the precarious situation that land9 has placed the Irish tax system in from delaying the payment of VRT for a while!!! but I still don't think it warranted some of the responses he received.

A few points:
    1. VRT is not illegal - its just unfair! Most EU states 9 EU countries do not have any form of VRT have a form of VRT, its just that their rates are not as high as ours.

3. If VRT was removed how much are you going to lose on the value of your car? A very good point which I have no argument with or suggestions as to rectify itAlso will you be happy with the resultant increase in income tax (or whatever tax is introduced to fill the void) The resultant tax as recommended by the EU, SIMI and opposition parties is an emissions based tax to compensate for VRT which will see people pay larger taxes if their car is unenvironmentally friendly rather than the size of the engine in their car. a 2.0 litre car commands 30% VRT regardless of emissions. What is being argued is that road tax should reflect emissions as is the case in the UK. a 2.2 Hdi car produces minimal emissions yet receives the same VRT percentage charge as a car producing massive emissions. An emissions based tax, I feel is the way forward as there is no way that the government can/will give up 900m per annum?

4. The money raised from VRT goes to the exchequer and is used for hospitals, roads, tribunals, etc. There is a way to remove VRT or have its funds directed towards roads only - this is called an election.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(Use the quotes please)
    Given that 9 states out of 25 don't have VRT then 16 do, surely this would fulfill the word 'most'. Anyhow, whilst the word 'most' may be incorrect but my point still stands.

As for the replacement for VRT, just because there have been suggestions from different sources, that does not mean that they will be considered. They haven't so far!
    Also an emissions based or consumption system would more than likely be used as a replacement for the annual motor tax, it is unlikely to be used as a replacement for VRT unless the Govt. do away with both and introduce crippling annual emissions taxes - in which case, would cars registered before the change and paid VRT be subjected to this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Mc-BigE wrote:

I suspect the only way VRT will become an issue is if all motorists vote to reject any new EU legislation coming our way and continue to do so until it's abolished, you can be sure it would be overturned quickly as we would be holding up the EU.

Advertisement