Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

english reg car drivers, watch out!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

kbannon wrote:
    A few points:
    3. If VRT was removed how much are you going to lose on the value of your car? Also will you be happy with the resultant increase in income tax (or whatever tax is introduced to fill the void)?

You will only lose money if you plan to retire from driving or plan to sell your car and purchase a car of less value which is something very few people do. Any new car you are buying will be 25-30% less and this will cushion any drop in value of your current car. Car dealers will lose some money on it going from their existing stock which could easily be resolved through rebates from revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

lassykk wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Tax evasion is always going to be a touchy subject, seeing as it's our money the OP 'couldn't afford' to pay us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

lassykk wrote:

Thank you Lassy!:)
    Just to add another few points - bearing in mind this my 3rd import.
    The first car (honda civic) I brought over went up in value by €400 from date of first purchase so in the end I had to fork this out along with the original €1000 I was quoted.
    The second car I brought in, I cleared it within a week.
    My latest purchase was supposed to be a civic coupe but I couldn't afford one; I had to settle for a bmw:p

And Mc Big-E or whatever your name is - it's called jealousy, get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Gurgle wrote:
    Oh dear, you're illegally driving a foreign registered car and planned to evade 'a month or two' worth or road tax, and they're actually enforcing the law?
    The bastards!:rolleyes:

A relative of mine works for the revenue offices in Sligo - they told me that Castlebar are down on their quota of "busts" and are out only to show numbers on a piece of paper.
    No-one in this forum can say they have never broken the law in some way, so don't gimme this bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

land9 wrote:
    No-one in this forum can say they have never broken the law in some way, so don't gimme this bull****

Well by reading the motors section forum it would seem that posters here are the most law abiding citzens in the country, remarkable how quick people are condemed for small things like not paying vrt for a while, trying avoid a speeding fine or having illegal number plates!
    I find it hard to believe you people never jay walk or always come to a complete stop at stop signs and obey other rules which are very hard to rememeber to do!

Well personally i dont think you all so perfect just a bunch of self rightous nobs.

Land9 enjoy driving your new car. i really cant understand why people buy second hand cars in ireland, most imports from the uk work out cheaper and the cars tend to be in much better condition. Goin to import my second UK car in the near future, a Polo GTI this time hopefully:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

land9 wrote:
    A relative of mine works for the revenue offices in Sligo -

hmmm.. I hope you told him officially that you've decided to take the law into your own hands and avoid paying your VRT?

"Sure as you’re at it, why pay insurance at all, sure that doesn't apply to me"

Sorry have to go now and get a life, but I suppose I could have a better life if I didn't pay my taxes, even OTT ones;)

BTW: not sure why your just angry with me, 90% of people on this thread said the same thing i.e. not paying your VRT 24hours after importing is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    I suspect the only way VRT will become an issue is if all motorists vote to reject any new EU legislation coming our way and continue to do so until it's abolished, you can be sure it would be overturned quickly as we would be holding up the EU.

I am dazzled by your grasp of EU legislation and voting. Please turn off your intellectual fog lights. :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

land9 wrote:
    Oh hell yeah, I've broken laws hundreds of times if not thousands.

But you've never seen me starting a thread about how shocked and horrified I was to find that I was being prevented from commiting a crime that I had expected to get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

so we motorists pay VRT?
    that keeps the economy floating along.
    but there are millions of non motorists in the country?
    what do they pay to keep the economy ?
    we support them by paying this overinflated VRT prices.

OP isnt scum-id do exactly the same thing to the greedy governmant b@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

opeldave wrote:
    id do exactly the same thing to the greedy governmant b@stards.
    You may not have the capacity to understand this opeldave but the Government is elected and the income from VRT belongs to the state, i.e. you and me etc.

• Advertisement

opeldave wrote:
    so we motorists pay VRT?
    that keeps the economy floating along.
    but there are millions of non motorists in the country?
    what do they pay to keep the economy ?
    we support them by paying this overinflated VRT prices.

Isn't this true of every tax?

opeldave wrote:
    OP isnt scum-id do exactly the same thing to the greedy governmant b@stards.
    It's our government and our money. You're not stealing from the government, you're stealing from the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There are some cars out there on middle eastern plates on right hand drive cars for the last number of years and they havent ever changed their plates.
    Then there are UK cars here a number of years and still on their plates.
    Then we have east european cars and some of these cars have their number plates made up in the UK to appear as private plates ie Pre 63 suffix even though they are LHD. Ive only seen a tiny handful of east european cars now re-registered as 96 D etc etc.

G Luxel wrote:
    There are some cars out there on middle eastern plates on right hand drive cars for the last number of years and they havent ever changed their plates.
    Then there are UK cars here a number of years and still on their plates.
    Then we have east european cars and some of these cars have their number plates made up in the UK to appear as private plates ie Pre 63 suffix even though they are LHD. Ive only seen a tiny handful of east european cars now re-registered as 96 D etc etc.
    And this makes it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

no bother land9 anytime... brought in a 406 coupe myself from the UK... I won't reopen old wounds (self-righteous nobs i believe they were called) but i didn't exactly clear mine de day after ;-) Happy motoring

lassykk wrote:
    Oh wow, you managed to break a law and get away with it.
    Big congratulations to the working man's hero :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Good to see that our Customs Officials are doing a good job. Why should the honest tax payer have to fund the people who think that it's OK to avoid paying the relevant duties?
    how do tax payer fund people who don't pay VRT...... It's not like you're avoiding income tax so other people who do pay it are paying for you! VRT goes straight to the governemt for no reason at all... it's a scam!

steve06 wrote:
    how do tax payer fund people who don't pay VRT...... It's not like you're avoiding income tax so other people who do pay it are paying for you! VRT goes straight to the governemt for no reason at all... it's a scam!
    It is exactly like not paying income tax so other people who do pay it are paying for you. Tax is tax and tax dodgers are stealing from us, the people of this country.

steve06 wrote:
    VRT goes straight to the governemt for no reason at all... it's a scam!
    Couldn't agree more - its a stealth tax. But its a stealth tax applied proportionally to people's ability to pay it so its one I object to less than others (e.g. TV ownership tax).

Anan1 wrote:
    It is exactly like not paying income tax so other people who do pay it are paying for you. Tax is tax and tax dodgers are stealing from us, the people of this country.
    your income tax pays for people on the dole(most of whome are just lazy fúckers that wont get off their ass) etc... VRT pays for nothing but a politicians wage! It doesn't even go on improving the roads...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

steve06 wrote:
    your income tax pays for people on the dole(most of whome are just lazy fúckers that wont get off their ass) etc... VRT pays for nothing but a politicians wage! It doesn't even go on improving the roads...
    Outstanding facts here! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well where does it go then...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

steve06 wrote:
    well where does it go then...
    It all (VRT, VAT, Income Tax, Stamp Duty, PRSI, Import Duty, Duty on booze and tobacco etc. etc. etc.) goes into one big pot that those nasty evil people in Dublin use to actually run the country. OK?

The notion that certain kinds of tax go to pay for specific services (ringfencing) is pure fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Alun wrote:
    The notion that certain kinds of tax go to pay for specific services (ringfencing) is pure fantasy.

Except of course, for betting tax (or was it some other tax?), the revenue of which get's blown straight back up the arse of the horse and greyhound "industry" without the governement even seeing one cent of it.

:D:D:D

For the greater good of the country and the people of course ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Alun wrote:
    It all (VRT, VAT, Income Tax, Stamp Duty, PRSI, Import Duty, Duty on booze and tobacco etc. etc. etc.) goes into one big pot that those nasty evil people in Dublin use to actually run the country. OK?

Exactly right, (with the exception of PRSI which I believe does go into a fund that is ringfenced for pension payments etc.) I am quite amazed by the idea some people seem to have that VRT (whatever its merits) is just going into the pockets of 166 people sitting in Kildare Street.

Sundy wrote:
    Well personally i dont think you all so perfect just a bunch of self rightous nobs.

Oh so the VRT payer is a nob! , that’s just about every driver on Ireland who has an Irish number plate stuck to their car is a nob in your view? What does that tell you?

As I said earlier this discussion is pointless because the Insurance companies have reduced/stopped insuring Irish policy holders with a UK reg. in Ireland for longer than 1 month normally. Also an Irish Garda will “smell a rat” with your UK road tax (if any) has expired.

Not paying VRT 24 hours after importation is illegal, in of story, can’t see how you or anyone else can argue with the Law.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Oh so the VRT payer is a nob! , that’s just about every driver on Ireland who has an Irish number plate stuck to their car is a nob in your view? What does that tell you?

As I said earlier this discussion is pointless because the Insurance companies have reduced/stopped insuring Irish policy holders with a UK reg. in Ireland for longer than 1 month normally. Also an Irish Garda will “smell a rat” with your UK road tax (if any) has expired.

Not paying VRT 24 hours after importation is illegal, in of story, can’t see how you or anyone else can argue with the Law.
    It's because it's a stealth tax... it goes against free movement of goods in the EU. And stamp duty..... that's another matter... completely pointless tax... just to get extra money, there's no reason for it!

steve06 wrote:
    It's because it's a stealth tax... it goes against free movement of goods in the EU. And stamp duty..... that's another matter... completely pointless tax... just to get extra money, there's no reason for it!

Agreed with all your comments, but its the law, if they Ban VRT/Stamp Duty in the morning it wouldn't bother me too much i.e. cheaper new car, but also cheaper trade-in car. But until the EU tell the Irish Government to stop doing it, there's nothing we can do about it.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Agreed with all your comments, but its the law, if they Ban VRT/Stamp Duty in the morning it wouldn't bother me too much i.e. cheaper new car, but also cheaper trade-in car. But until the EU tell the Irish Government to stop doing it, there's nothing we can do about it.
    and sure even if it gets banned it'll just be renamed anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

OT ...but anyway ...

agree on VRT being a stealth tax etc, but be careful what you wish for re stamp duty. Yes, it's a crippling one off tax that has a major whiff of "fleecing" about it.

But other European countries pay nasty annual property taxes on land and buildings that we here don't have to. Once you bought the house thats it, whereas our fellow europeans fearfully watch the annual budget in anticipation of the next rate hike on property tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Gurgle wrote:
    But its a stealth tax applied proportionally to people's ability to pay it so its one I object to less than others (e.g. TV ownership tax).

That one made me laugh heartily.

Do you object to this TV Ownership tax (TV license, I take it)

* because it's a set amount not indexed on the actual price of the TV?

(unlike VRT ;)), or

* because you deem that the Irish airwaves should be free?

(same as some posters here hold that free movement of personal property in the EU should override, as of right, such a stealth import tax as VRT, provided same is not done for the purpose of evading relevant taxes, e.g. pay VAT in country of origin instead of IE etc.)

IMHO, you'd see a hell of a lot less foreign plated cars about if VRT was -never mind scrapped- replaced with a nominal, set registration fee (say €50 or whatever, an admin fee).

To whom does the crime profit, really? The guy who imports and risks losing the car for the sake of a few €000s while he cobbles the VRT €s together, or the GVT for the sake of several hundred €mils who insists VRT be paid within 24/48h? ;)

To put things in perspective somewhat, and respectfully request a cop-on from VRT 'defenders', think about that one: why is it, that
    * if you've owned a foreign car whilst resident overseas for over 6 months before becoming IE resident, you can re-register in IE VRT-exempt
    * if you've owned a foreign car whilst resident overseas for less than 6 months before becoming IE resident, you cannot re-register in IE VRT-exempt
    * if you are not an overseas resident, you cannot re-register in IE VRT-exempt
    ?

If this picture doesn't paint an import tax, I don't know what does. Time to take the blinkers off.

Advertisement