Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shar Pie Dogs

Options
  • 03-11-2006 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone tell me about these dogs... even though i've probably spelt it wrong.....

Thinking about getting one and want to know about medical issues (ie breathing problems & eye problems that i've been told about)

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Emma

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pretty much every Shar pei, has skin conditions (like dandruff and sensitive skin) and allergies, as well as inflammatory bowel disease. Some of them get infections between their wrinkles. They need firm training from an early age because they are very stubborn or strong willed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

From what I know about them, they seem to be very care intensive. All their wrinkles and folds need to be cleaned and dried out on a daily basis to avoid infection.

Personally I would never get one. Sure, they look "cute" and novel at first glance but longterm and on closer inspection they are just a horrible example of what cruelty humans willingly inflict on their "creations" just because it is fashionable. So I would rather not be seen or associated with such a poor, disfigured "fashion statement" ...but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Agree 100% - I know someone in the UK who took in a Shar-pei and he's almost a full time job. Stubborn isn't the word for him and she spends a lot of time every day cleaning the folds in his skin to prevent infections etc.

Def not a good idea to buy one of these dogs.
    I shudder when I see them on ad for a beauty product on TV as people then want one without thinking of the huge commitment you need to make to them - not to say you don't have to make the same committment to a common or garden mongrel !!!!! but these guys are in a league of their own from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Phew! for a minute there I thought someone was cooking a dog.:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Not everyones cup of tea and the two I had in rescue here didn't help my opinion.

Added to the above mentioned health problems are entropion (which turns the eyelashes inward, thus irritating the eye - untreated, it can cause blindness), Shar Pei Fever (Shar Pei fever can result in renal and liver failure = amyloidosis) and various skin cancers etc.

They are a *fighting breed* so alot of them do not get on with other dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Just having a look at this and most people here probably have never seen one of these dogs let alone own one. I have two of these dogs and most of the stuff that people have posted is rubbish. They do not require cleaning inbetween folds to prevent infection. It's a myth. The majority of Shar Pei's do not have skin problems, but of course there are the exceptions like all dogs.

Some of the breed suffer from Shar Pei fever but again, all dogs have their own problems. The fighting dog thing is also crap. Both my dogs and the shar peis I have met get on very well with other dogs.

What I will say about them is that they can be quite stubborn at times as they don't follow blindly instructions like other dogs and have to be trained at an early age. They love walks and are very loving but are quite protective of their owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

have been offered a shar before and refused. Have worked in a vets and watch first hand the eye op that need to be done for there eye lashs. Also the dogs are aggresive if trained. the are being used here with pits to fight. They are also a lot of money and unless you get them insured will cost you a lot of money to keep.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Most dogs can be trained to be fighting dogs. Shar Peis were used but are no longer as they doing have the aggressive temperament needed.

I agree that they cost a bit of money and what I will say is that when they are advertised you only see the pups. A lot of people don't realise that they lose most of their wrinkles when they grow, only retaining them around the back of the head.

Entropion occurs in some of the breed and requires corrective surgery as they get older but tacking the eyelid at a young age until they grow into their skin normally fixes the problem before surgery is required.

The best thing to do is look at an adult Shar Pei and not the pups and decide if that is the breed for you as most people love the wrinkles but which I said they grow out of.

Advertisement