Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlin 917 .17hmr

Options
  • 03-11-2006 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Had a problem with my rifle, Zastava .22mag cz99 precision, oh good god did i have a problem, basically it had a very faulty magazine, first the platform stuck(spring prob) then it wouldn feed properly, it was jamming the rounds in against the top of the chamber and well butchering them. Anyway the dealer is replacing it with a Marlin 917 .17 hmr at no extra cost to me. Its a nice rifle and obeys my golden rule of no chromy shiny barrels. I know there isnt many .17 hmr people around here but does anyone have any experinece with this rifle?? At all??

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/17HMRMagnum/917.aspx

I might actually get shooting with it sometime before xmas. By that time all ill be doin is punchin paper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Newby,

If the gun you bought from the dealer was declared faulty on his behalf why dont you either demand a full refund or replacement with a similar model?

If I recollect I think you were at one stage preparing to buy a Brno/CZ .177,
    which is normally an excellent and reliable brand.

In my honest opinion, Marlin is a much inferior brand to the previously mentioned czech guns.
    I would think it very unwise on your behalf to accept this trade off from the dealer.
    P.M. me for my real opinion (to avoid any libellious claims) of the marlin stable of rifles that I have encountered.

Frankly, do not accept his offer, your are being very short changed on this count.

Oops, I see you have edited your previous post since I replied,

Quite simply, If you pay cheap, you will end up paying twice...... and this seems to be the case in this scenario.

Tell the dealer that you will accept his 'swap' offer but would rather put the extra few Euro to the total and get a rifle of a more established and quality recognised background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

get your cash back and buy my brno .17 hmr off me €500,2mags and a reflex t8ar moderator (short version)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Ditto all that cz all the way or brno's better.

.17hmr is a very good round and great for a wide variety of shooting but i just dont like marlins cz have a long reputation of build quaility and service there design is based on the famous old brno's and are basically the best gun out there for the money.

@.243 have you any pics of the brno and how old is the gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Klunk

I'm using one at the mo, traded my old faultless .22 mag Marlin which I had for ten years for the 917. It's a good little rifle, does what it says on the tin. It's extremely accurate,the only downside to it is some people find the trigger is a bit heavy for bench shooting. It can be modified (Rifle Basix trigger)but to be honest I like it the way it is for shooting in the field. If you go ahead with it, strip down the firing pin and give it a good cleaning. The factory grease in the pin can result in fail to fire rounds.

.17hmr is a very good round and great for a wide variety of shooting but i just dont like marlins cz have a long reputation of build quaility and service there design is based on the famous old brno's and are basically the best gun out there for the money.

its a cpl of years old,the short barrel free floated version and a lightened trigger,im unsure of how to put up a decent pic (im computer constapated) so any advice is grateful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

To put up pics go to http://www.imageshack.us click the browse button and select the pics you want on the resize place select 640*480 or something around that then click upload you will be given a series of links your looking for the one for forums it will look like this [img]http://www.......[/img] and then just copy the link and paste it here in a post

hope this works[IMG]URL=http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ssl11207os3.jpg][/img]ssl11207os3.th.jpg[/URL]

.243 wrote:
    ssl11209gs1.jpg
    ssl11207sv8.jpg

Advertisement