Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubberneckers

Options
  • 03-11-2006 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Anyone get caught in M50 hell last night? Ok, so its normally hell, but last night there was an accident northbound between the Blanch and Finglas exits. Luckily I got in before that really really bad traffic but it still took me about 40 mins from the toll bridge to the accident scene. Traffic was unreal. But as usual, as soon as I arrived at the accident scene the traffic starts flying again. But it was even more amazing to watch the southbound lane jammed from the M1 roundabout to the point of the accident even though there was f*ck all to see, and then suddenly start flying again!. We all complain about rubberneckers but do we actually do it without knowing it? Sometimes I dont understand traffic flow at all!

Anyway, not sure what happened on the M50 - I heard it was a 5 car collision - but looking at broken glass on the road I would say that it was actually 2 separate accidents - the second caused by someone not paying attention to the vehicle braking heavily in front of them. Probably because they were driving too close!

I hope no-one was badly injured.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

yeah i know, tell me about it! heading southbound at half 6 to 7 is an absolute nightmare. A car also caught fire northbound between Dundrum and Firhouse exit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

It's so annoying alright but lets face it we all do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

no we do not all do it!! Only idiots do it.
    I would NEVER hit the breaks and slow down to look at an accident.. never have and never will.. i simply do not care. If i see one and there is no one in front of me i do not slow.. i might glance at it keeping my head straight without slowing. I only need a glance to take in everything that is going on.. i do not need to jam on the breaks and slow down and stare at it like a simpleton to figure it out.

I swear im so tempted when someone in front hits the breaks and turns their heads to beep the horn and when they look in the mirrir make a hand motion indicating them to look ahead... However i do not want to incite road rage so i just leave them to it. assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I was heading Northbound on an expressway one day when I saw an accident actually happen in the Southbound lanes. The car in front of me (an old man) slammed on his brakes and craned his neck almost 180 degrees to get a look at it.

I had to jam on my brakes to avoid hitting him, but luckily (for me) he had braked so hard he actually skidded into the passing lane - which there was nobody in (luckily for him - as he sure as hell wasn't checking his mirrors). I just accelerated away, but presumably within seconds there was a huge tailback thanks to this fool.

I heard police in Massachusetts started carrying around portable curtains to put up around accident scenes as the rubberneck delays were improved when there was nothing to see. Never actually seen it myself, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The traffic on the N3 was crazy again today thanks to another accident. Grrr, learn to drive people ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Gandhi wrote:
    I was heading Northbound on an expressway one day when I saw an accident actually happen in the Southbound lanes. The car in front of me (an old man) slammed on his brakes and craned his neck almost 180 degrees to get a look at it.

I had to jam on my brakes to avoid hitting him, but luckily (for me) he had braked so hard he actually skidded into the passing lane - which there was nobody in (luckily for him - as he sure as hell wasn't checking his mirrors). I just accelerated away, but presumably within seconds there was a huge tailback thanks to this fool.

I heard police in Massachusetts started carrying around portable curtains to put up around accident scenes as the rubberneck delays were improved when there was nothing to see. Never actually seen it myself, though.

The above happened to my friend two days before christmas last year.

He wasn't so lucky. Three car pile-up, although thankfully he wasn't injured. Cops scrambled the helicopter to take photos as they thought there would be a fatality.

That accident was caused by:
    1) Rubberknecker braking hard to watch truck in driving lane have a blow out.
    2) My mate not keeping sufficient distance between him and car in front.
    3) Person following my mate doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can never understand it myself. You'd think people would at least avoid the brake pedal and just take their foot off the gas if they wanted to slow down and have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Haha fools!

I heard about in on ther radio before I left work. I made it a priority to go over the mountains slightly longer trip but there were no other cars so it only took 20 mins :)

Wonder will it be jammers tonight though, i'll be listening to the traffic info again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

layke wrote:
    Wonder will it be jammers tonight though, i'll be listening to the traffic info again.

Wife has just called me and it's back to Sandyford again :mad: :mad: :mad:

Here's to another 3 hour journey home:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

MAIN TRAFFIC: * A crash is being dealt with under M50 bridge on the North Rd at Finglas. Outbound traffic on the N2 is very heavy approaching the M50. Northbound traffic on the M50 is very congested from Sandyford to Blanchardstown. Southbound is heavy from the M1 to Lucan and the M11 merge at Bray.

Same again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Gandhi wrote:
    I've had the exact same idea for ages, but in reality I think it would make things worse as people would slow down even more in the hope of seeing something through a chink in the curtain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Welcome to the real world, everyone loves to gawk, but nobody wants to help. Right?.:rolleyes:

Advertisement