Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst fashion trend?

• 03-11-2006 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭pheby

What is the worst fashion trend ever?

For me it was when eluminious was in fashion.Im sooo glad that went.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

spandex
    parachute pants
    XTREME-layering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Skinny jeans, then and now,both sexes, especially on women with heels and no socks/tights
    Those Palestinian scarves from years ago.
    Ra-ra skirts (then and now)
    80s layer mania, then and now, especially on women
    Luminous 80s pastel socks/tops
    Muscle/sleeveless tops on blokes
    Horrible wide 80s belts over long tops(then and now)
    White socks
    Extra long leather coats
    Skinny ties (increase hideous factor for leather versions)
    Flecked suits (see above)
    Tweed caps on young skanger blokes
    Orange-y caterpillar boots
    Burberry
    Shell suits
    "Dubes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Converse
    Thrift shop clothes
    K-Swiss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Baseball caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Keeping it at home... Girls wearing pygamas outside the house, going to shops etc...
    and almost has bad... those big giant furry boots... the mind boggles....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Charity wrist bands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Wellies worn for anything other than agricultural or outdoor pursuits type purposes. Utterly ridiculous, ugly and childish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The 80's. Everything about it was wrong, then and now.
    Skinny jeans. Gross. Especially with flat shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

charity wrist bands // like the idea behind them (giving money to charity) but when there was fake charity bands it just took the piss.

ponchos // gah just nooooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Ill have to go with the pajamas too, starting to notice that more and more, big groups of them.
    Abd those big fury coats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

il gatto wrote:
    Wellies worn for anything other than agricultural or outdoor pursuits type purposes. Utterly ridiculous, ugly and childish.

I love my wellies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Socks pulled up over tracksuit bottoms (not just because you are on a bike either).:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Wearing scarves indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Anyone remember the scotchy jeans a kind of light blue tartan stone washed jeans, mid 80s.

Also those padded lumberjack type shirts, mid 90s.

Piste wrote:
    I love my wellies :(

I'm guessing you're from a city. When you're from the country, wellies are a necessity, not a fashion accessory. They have no kudos. They're for keeping sh1te off you're trousers and water from you're socks. If you are from the country, you must get the p1ss taken out of you unmercifully.
    Seriously though, I'm sure they're very nice on you:rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

mostly 80's stuff

puffball skirts
    leggings/leg warmers
    sidetie shoes (from simon harts)
    flecky suits

And more recently
    the whole sporty street/chav look worn by masses of kids (whatever happened to style?)

and in the hair dept

'The Mullet"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Fat man pants and Abercrombie and Fitch. Any kind of tracksuit bottoms..

il gatto wrote:
    I'm guessing you're from a city. When you're from the country, wellies are a necessity, not a fashion accessory. They have no kudos. They're for keeping sh1te off you're trousers and water from you're socks. If you are from the country, you must get the p1ss taken out of you unmercifully.
    Seriously though, I'm sure they're very nice on you:rolleyes: :D

Damn right they are.

They're really a necesity in the city where traffic is appalling and you have to walk from a-b all the time, especially so in Autumbn and Winter when it rains like Bejaysus, I don't want my other shoes getting wrecked by mud or the ends of my jeans soaking water up to my knees. And because they have a nice pattern of flowers on them, they can be both functional and fashionable at the same time.

(and I get to jump in puddles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Fake tan,
    That streaky orange leg thing never did it for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Bat-wing jumpers and hair scrunchies *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

muscle tops
    skirt over trousers (pick one ffs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 meandmy

sinecurea wrote:
    Baseball caps.

sorry hun...
    victoria beckem is one of the biggest fashion icons in the world!!!
    her look with the baseball cap and sunglasses is renowned!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    baseball caps are here to stay!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think he means the baseball caps that are at a constant 90 degree angle from the top of the wearer's head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Track to the suit bruvva.

EDIT: I love my luminous items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Most have already been said, but I'll opine anyhow.

Pyjamas being worn outside.
    Shell suits - anytime, there's no excuse for these.
    Wardrobes that consist only of Celtic and/or ManU tops.
    Bling.
    Burberry - it's really only for scumbags and soccer Hoolians, plus it was always an Ugly design.
    Baseball caps being worn off and to the side with those headscarves underneath.
    Hairy boots.
    Shoestring ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Velur.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

But it looks so good on Captain Brannagan.

Blackjack wrote:
    Burberry - it's really only for scumbags and soccer Hoolians, plus it was always an Ugly design.

I like the classic Burberry mac, that only has the design on the inside and makes you look like a spy!

But too damn expensive :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Demin jeans + high-heel shoes.

Something just *wrong* about it everytime I see it.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, here's me thinking she was a tarty, perma-tanned, haggard old munter with a lollipop head. :D

Thats me told.
    meandmy wrote:
    victoria beckem is one of the biggest fashion icons in the world!!!
    her look with the baseball cap and sunglasses is renowned!!!!! !

I do but I'd rather I didn't. ;)

Anyone remember the scotchy jeans a kind of light blue tartan stone washed jeans, mid 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

shorts on girls...... wtf, seriously... not sexy at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Giant long talons for nails, especially the fake gel ones, they look creepy and grubby and are so so bad for your real nails.
    Actually worse when it's the pale french manicure and the wearer has fake tanned hands and big fake bling ring.

Add giant fake bling too. Sad and tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭pheby

Saruman wrote:
    Keeping it at home... Girls wearing pygamas outside the house, going to shops etc...
    and almost has bad... those big giant furry boots... the mind boggles....

I hate that, I esp hate those girls who are soo lazy in the morning that if they are going outside and deside to put on a skirt..they leave the pyjamas bottoms on!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Rabies wrote:
    Charity wrist bands

Or those illuminous rave bracelets that were out years ago, some girls would have 100 on each arm at any one time... horrible dirty looking things...

I had about 50 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭pheby

xzanti wrote:
    Or those illuminous rave bracelets that were out years ago, some girls would have 100 on each arm at any one time... horrible dirty looking things...

I had about 50 :D

Shag tags!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

The mother of them all -> Tracksuit bottoms with shoes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Spandex
    Uggs
    Sleeveless t-shirts on gentlemen
    Perms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ugg type boots on men. They look crap on women, but trust me, they look worse on men. I did a visible double take the first time I saw that.

Umaro - cons are the most comfortable shoes ever. I wear them for work and they're great.
    Dubes are apparently really comfortable too - hence lots of nurses wear them, esp. as they have covered toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Tracksuit bottoms tucked into uggs, and skinny jeans on anyone who doesn't have Kate Moss's figure. They're so unflattering!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Uggs! for the love of god theyre like feckin slippers!!
    tracksuits being worn for purposes other than sport or lounging around the house, come on theres nothing flattering about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Piste wrote:
    I like the classic Burberry mac, that only has the design on the inside and makes you look like a spy!

But too damn expensive :mad:

Hahah yeah my Dad has one.. I should steal it and stand around and look shifty. If only they were fashionable, that'd be sharp.

Actually macs are very in right now, especially in bright Red, or in the classic Burberry nude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Blush_01 wrote:
    Umaro - cons are the most comfortable shoes ever. I wear them for work and they're great.
    Dubes are apparently really comfortable too - hence lots of nurses wear them, esp. as they have covered toes.

I have heard that Cons are really comfortable but for they're just associated with artsy punk-fans. And that's why I don't like them!

I concur with you on Dubes though - they kick ass, my 11 year old sister got her first pair last week. My 16 year old sister hates Dubes (and what they stand for) and loves Converse - we're a family divided :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Blush_01 wrote:
    Ugg type boots on men. They look crap on women, but trust me, they look worse on men. I did a visible double take the first time I saw that.

I'm going to have to ask for some more information on this one, I refuse to believe it. Is there any chance you could find a photo of something similar?

EDIT: Following some detective workdetective.gif, I came up with these:

http://www.uggaustralia.com/ProductsList.aspx?gID=m&categoryID=223&page=1

Not quite what I had in mind when you first mentioned it, much less hair that I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Faith wrote:
    The 80's. Everything about it was wrong, then and now.
    Skinny jeans. Gross. Especially with flat shoes.

I couldn't disagree more :D obviously they look horrible on fat/chubby/''curvey'' people though.

Layering clothes, frills, those flat ballet looking shoes, blue jeans, short jackets and tops that make peoples bodies look really long and their legs short.

Uggs look like rigger boots (ask a builder) and have been named perfectly. I don't understand the Burberry thing at all. They're a well respected fashion house. I wouldn't dismiss them because of the chav thing. That's just a passing fad. I still don't get what started it though. I mean, what'll be next? A Barbour waxed jacket? Smoking a pipe? Carrying a silver topped cane? Why Burberry check? It doesn't fit with the sportswear/R'n'B stylee. Bud. :confused:

Yeti boots. Especially the kind with bobbles hanging off them.
    With jeans tucked into them. Or tracksuits. Or anything. They look horrible.

Oh and wearing tiny miniskirts in this bloody weather. Wearing skirts over skinny, fugly leggings. 80s is BAD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Dudett

Peddel pushers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

fashion in general

the idea of wearing something simply because its 'in' and not because you like it/ it suits you/ you look good.

following fashion for the sake of it and looking like everyone else = WORST TREND EVER

• Advertisement
Advertisement