Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revision to Windows Vista retail licensing terms

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can you post a link please, as the original license allowed you to move to another device too.

The problem was that you could only do it ONCE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

System builders, hardware enthusiasts and upgrade hobbists were up in arms regarding the original terms and rightly so. I am sure the shops that sell a lot of computer upgrade hardware were not to happy about it either. Luckily MS has seen sense. I was on my way to Debian before the rethink.

Here is a link regarding the news.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6131900.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx - todays terms and conditions. Home basic english
    15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
    a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and
    install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between
    devices.
    b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the
    license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded
    from allows reassignment.
    16. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.
    a. Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may
    make a one time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party. The first
    user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user
    may not retain any copies.
    b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software directly to a third
    party only with the licensed device. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier
    version.
    c. Other Requirements. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this
    agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The transfer must include the proof
    of license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nice to see that they came to their senses :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

What does this mean exactly? What's Windows Anytime Upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I believe its a system they have that allows you to upgrade your version of Vista (i.e. from home basic to ultimate or whatever) whenever you like. You give them money, they give you a code or something. The DVD has the whole lot on it regardless of which version you purchase.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wonder will a lot of people be shocked to find that their home basic version of Vista doesn't come with all the fancy Aero stuff. I can imagine a few calls to Joe Duffy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39284549,00.htm
    Reversing a licensing change announced two weeks ago, Microsoft said on Thursday that it will not limit the number of times retail customers can transfer their Windows Vista licence to a different computer.

[T]he new restriction prompted an outcry among hardware enthusiasts and others. Microsoft is returning the licensing terms to basically what they were in Windows XP — users can transfer their licence to a new PC an unlimited number of times, provided they uninstall and stop using it on the prior machine.

The software maker said it paid attention to the response both directly to the company and on blogs and decided to reverse course. Microsoft had hoped to use the change to aid its ongoing efforts to thwart piracy.

"We're trying to be really clear about our intention to prevent piracy," said Microsoft product manager Mike Burk. "At the same time, after listening to the feedback that came in, [we] felt that we needed to make this change."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

phew i was not going to fork out over 300 squid for a piece of software i could not use on my pc if i upgraded.

im glad microsoft haven't completely gone to the dogs, still that scare had made me want to give linux a go and see how i get on, ive heard its hard enough to use but i dont mind, i think im up for the challenge

Advertisement