Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying pistols from ROI dealers

Options
  • 03-11-2006 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I am fed up with the way most registered firearms dealers in the Republic are forced to sell pistols. As in you have to get a licence first, the artical 7 etc. There seems to bee no logical reason why they cant have new pistols kept simply as stock in the same way that they do for other firearms. I know 1 dealer who was allowed to buy and recieve 8 pistols without having buyers for any of them at the time. He was never able to do it again. When he asked why, he was told that each application would be considered on its merits. He was never allowed do it again.

Is anyone aware of any plan to change this in the CJB or otherwise in the near future?

The current situation is of no advantage to anyone. I think it is the reason that pistol shooters change guns so much, they often buy a gun that they have only ever seen a picture of. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This is down to DoJ import licence policy, not legislation, so could change in the morning if so desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

so what is the logic behind it? If you want a pistol current policy will not stop you getting it, it will just slow you down a bit and make it harder for you too make the right choice. Gun dealers down here are loosing alot of sales to the North. It is stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I think the intent is to avoid building up stocks of pistols in gun dealer's premises, as this is seen as a security risk. The effect of this is debatable, i.e. do the other 500 firearms on the premises not pose a risk if stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its probably to stop there being a large stock of pistols in the country the idea probably something like that they'll be stolen or something

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm a tad more cynical myself to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Agree with you on that Sparks.
    Key words here;Make It Difficult For Irish Shooters.[MIDFIS]...Huh it even sounds somwhat Gaelic:rolleyes: Another Irish solution to an Irish problem
    Fine,lets tak our biz to Europe and the USA.

Sorry but I cant see how a stock of brand new pistols is more of a threat than second hand pistols. I am sure that all of you know gun dealers that have sevral second hand pistols in stock. I know that in Northern Ireland dealers are only allowed to have so many in thier shop at any one time. I think it is about 12. I know a dealer here that would have about 50 or more (many are from pre 1972)! So that is not the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Agree with you on that Sparks.
    Key words here;Make It Difficult For Irish Shooters.[MIDFIS]...Huh it even sounds somwhat Gaelic:rolleyes: Another Irish solution to an Irish problem
    Fine,lets tak our biz to Europe and the USA.

I agree, why should we have to put up with dealers who claim to supports us but who are raping us time. Buy from europe no bull straight talking crazy difference in prices and wider selection.
    I ve heard all the stories, local business, nice guy, great after sales service(you pay through the teeth for it.(barrel threading cost to you from dealer roughly 80-100 euros it costs him 20-30 euros, he gets 60-70euros just to take barrel in and hand it back to you)
    As to doj red tape well it is not that bad, me ill never buy a firearm of an irish dealer again.
    The dealers in ireland are fleecing the average shooter, if you argue they blame the wholesalers.
    what we need is more dealers like shoot.ie who are not afraid to put up their prices on the site
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Have you checked out the price of magazines compared to the cost an irish dealer will quote you. Remington, Ruger, cz doesn't matter expect to pay in Ireland 30-50 Euro, sicken thing a remington magazine in 22wmr is 18 dollars I was quoted from onerish dealer 48 Euro.

Ditto in relation to scopes, binos and clothing. I have started to buy some stuff for shotgun shooting from the uk websites, any of the monthly magazines will advertise them

I bought my first shotgun in the north, saved 250 Euro I had the paperwork back from DOJ in three days. Took eight weeks for the pheonix park to sort themselves out though.

Everything is more expensive here. I wouldnt mind paying a bit extra here if I could get the pistol here that I wanted as easily as I can get a rifle or shotgun. It is all the extra messing around with paperwork etc. that drives me mad. I would like to be able to go to my local firearms dealer and be able to pick up, look at, dry fire a large varity of brand new pistols, like I can in the North. But no I cant and why, well no one seems to be able to give a reason as to why the firearms dealers are not allowed to import new pistols that they have not already "sold".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

I was speaking to one of the guys in Ardee Sports a couple of months ago and he said they were involved in a court case to allow the import and stocking of pistols without the rig-ma-roll of dealers importing one at a time on behalf of the end user , he said they had to wait for the CJB to be fully implemented before they could move forward, hopefully it wont be much longer and firearms dealers will be stocking actual pistols instead of catalogues.

BTW does anyone have a link anywhere to download the article 7 form for imorting a firearm? i remember seeing the Certificate application forms on here a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

flight93 wrote:
    Everything is more expensive here. .

There you have it in a nutshell. Also because the dealers are only able to buy them in individual units from Ulster or Europe they arnt going to get much in the way of discounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

de_shadow wrote:
    I was speaking to one of the guys in Ardee Sports a couple of months ago and he said they were involved in a court case to allow the import and stocking of pistols without the rig-ma-roll of dealers importing one at a time on behalf of the end user , he said they had to wait for the CJB to be fully implemented before they could move forward, hopefully it wont be much longer and firearms dealers will be stocking actual pistols instead of catalogues.

BTW does anyone have a link anywhere to download the article 7 form for imorting a firearm? i remember seeing the Certificate application forms on here a while back

Article 7 Authority can only issue once your firearms certificate has been granted, it is by legislation the function of the superintendent to issue the article 7 authority on appication by the certificate holder to facilitate the importation of a category B firearm, so in short you cannot download the form, it will be issued by the competent authority who in our case is your local Superintendent.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

it is by legislation the function of the superintendent to issue the article 7 authority on appication by the certificate holder to facilitate the importation of a category B firearm, so in short you cannot download the form, it will be issued by the competent authority who in our case is your local Superintendent.

He may also grant you a european firearms pass..

But : Citizens of the European Union may hold a European Firearms Pass which facilitates travel with the listed firearms through EU Countries, however, a European Firearms Pass alone is not accepted in GB or Northern Ireland – You must have a Visitors Certificate issued by the police in GB and \ or Northern Ireland.

If you intend making a trip to or through the North of Ireland to collect the firearm you will also need to make a application to the PSNI for a "Visitors firearms permit" ...

Under the Firearms Order (NI) 2004 non-GB visitors wishing to bring firearms into Northern Ireland must have an application submitted on their behalf by a ‘sponsor’ who must be a resident of Northern Ireland. Form 30 / 38 The application must be accompanied by a domestic firearms permit for the firearm intended to be held in Northern Ireland and in the case of nationals of the European Union, the original European firearms pass. This requirement also applies to those applicants only seeking authority for transit through Northern Ireland.

As firearms require to be licensed for the entire period of their stay, sponsors are advised that when furnishing dates of the proposed visit they also cater for possible delays/difficulties in travelling.

Applications for Visitor’s Permits must be made to PSNI Firearms and Explosives Branch at least two months in advance of the date they are required, short notice applications will not be considered. Forms are available from any PSNI station or directly from Firearms and Explosives Branch. There is a £12 fee for such certificates, however for a group application of six or more persons the fee is £60.

The application forms (30/38 ) may be downloaded here.... Link

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

With respect to the PSNI, the boys and girls of the firearms section in the PSNI are turning around applications for visitors permits in 2 to 3 days. A outstanding service.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

thanks les45 i was just curious to see what it looked like.

Advertisement