Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte DS4 XP Re-Install

Options
  • 03-11-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

So I went to reinstall windows in my new machine, DS4 with 74GB Raptor.

Now the first time I installed I didnt need to "F6" to install SATA2 pre-install drivers.

Now, I booted from the XP CD and selected the new installation option, and it tells me it can't find any hard disks?

I have a floppy drive in the cupboard and I could open the case and plug in the floppy drive for the install but i'd prefer not to as I think there must be another way.

So I booted up windows again and googled & found there are are various ways of slipstreaming the drivers onto an XP bootdisk image using various tools the most popular one seems to be nLite.

So I was just about to start slipstreaming when I thought to myself is it something in the bios:

I'm using the Gigabyte controller as opposed to the Intel controller as it offers more features.

Im guessing if I select the IDE emulation mode that it will detect the drives and I can install windows?

After I install windows I'll put the bios option back to native SATA2 and everything should be dandy.

Should this work ? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The native Intel SATA RAID capable controller, this is the one that normally by default is set to emulate an IDE controller. If you enable enhanced/RAID mode on this you must provide drivers for the controller as the emulation will auto-disable.

I'm not sure what the Gigabyte controller is, in that it's something else re-branded I presume.

Anyway you would want to install on the Intel SATA controller in emulation mode, do not change the operating mode in the bios after installing that will only throw a spanner in the works. The emulation mode is just a disguise to Windows it still operates as a SATA2 controller none of the features are disabled because of that.

Advertisement