Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleedin' Radiators!!

Options
  • 03-11-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I have two problem radiators in the house. I find that I have to bleed them regurlarly to ensure that they heat up properly. Why is it always the same two that give this problem while all the rest are perfect? Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Any help appreciated!!

Also at this stage one of the fittings on one of them is slightly damaged from using a flathead screwdriver to bleed it. Where can I get the proper tool to use for bleeding it?

Tks

Comments

Depending on the type of system, there may be an air seperator located at the highest point of the pipework or near the boiler, it could be blocked.

You should be able to get the Radiator bleed key from any of the DIY sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Depending on the type of system, there may be an air seperator located at the highest point of the pipework or near the boiler, it could be blocked.

What does an air seperator look like? I'll have a look tonight if I know what to look for.

Thanks DB

It looks like an end stop compression fitting approx 3cm diameter and 4cm long with a small screw like fitting in the end.

Just give the screw a turn, if water comes out then it is working correctly a large amount of air then it was probably stuck.

You really need to find out why the air is getting into the system in the first place. Feed expansion tank empty ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You should have an automatic air vent fitted somewhere - normally at the top if the coil that heats the hot water cylinder. Be sure to top up the system as you bleed if you have a sealed system.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Naux
    All the previous posters are correct, but where I am I have an "open" system and the rad directly above the boiler is the one that collects the air first. Bleeding this a couple of times a year prevents air entering other rads. In my case it's probably the pipe layout..as simple as that. The are no air seperators /automatic air bleed valves fitted.
    I always wondered, but newer bothered to find out if there was an auto bleed valve designed to go in place of the bleed screw. Colud always "bitch" one up bit would have imagined someone would have made one by now
    t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Naux wrote:
    I have two problem radiators in the house. I find that I have to bleed them regurlarly to ensure that they heat up properly. Why is it always the same two that give this problem while all the rest are perfect?

Some points:
    Make sure that you have enough water in your system. Sometimes, even if there is not sufficient water in the system, you will get water from the vent when the water in the system is hot and expands.

It is often the rads you have turned on most of the time that build up the air, or it can just be location. Another reason is if there is a slight leak at the valve - water gets out - air gets in.
    Jim.

Advertisement