Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Boiler Issue

Options
  • 03-11-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

We have a external oil boiler turning itself on periodically (~30 mins) for a brief bit (maybe 1 minute). Even though we have turned it off at the timer.

I originally thought it may be that it thinks the temp is below (or near) freezing and is trying to keep the pipe warm to prevent it freezing but I turned the thermostat down to -10 degrees with no change to the system.

I'm not too sure where to go from here - anyone got any ideas on why this could be happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Triangle wrote:
    I originally thought it may be that it thinks the temp is below (or near) freezing and is trying to keep the pipe warm to prevent it freezing but I turned the thermostat down to -10 degrees with no change to the system.
    Thats the first thing I thought of too. The frost protection thermostat may be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

The frost protection thermostat is different to your normal house thermostat. If there is one fitted and it is just sitting in the steel boiler house (outdoor) or in your shed it's not much good. It sometimes happens tha the boiler comes with it attached but it is just left hanging beside the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

The frost protection thermostat is attached to the steel (inside) surrounding the boiler.
    Where should it be? and what difference would that make to it starting every 30 minutes?
    Should it be on the outside of the boiler casing ?

Thanks for the replies - I might just have to get a boiler repairer out to have alook at it.

Advertisement