Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem connecting two laptops to wireless connection

• 03-11-2006 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Im having a problem connection two laptops together in the office,

the router i have is a belkons one, the laptops connect automatically to the network on their own but when i try connect the both only one works. the other laptop can see the router but cannot get any ip details... Is this easy to sort out?

also when i click on View available wireless networks when both are on it will show up on one computer but not on another

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

i can only view the available wireless networks on the old dell, i cant on the new dell

windows cannot configure this wireless connection
    if you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection,
    use that software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

windows cannot configure this wireless connection
    if you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection,
    use that software.

The wireless card manufacturer has software to control your wireless card. It will be in your Program list. (prob Intel) Run this and configure your wireless card. You can also switch back to Windows control of you card in this program.

Paul.

i have figured out how to show the wireless connections on the new laptop so there both connecting automatically to the belikn network, ( it works with windows control) BUT still only one connects to the internet at the one time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

What IP address range are you using ? Static or DHCP ?

Paul.

sorry how do i check this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Control Panel - Network Connections - right click on Wireless Network Connection and then click on properties.

Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

"Obtain an IP Address Automatically" should be selected.

Click on Advanced and make sure it says DHCP Enabled under IP Address

ive done that on the two systems and still no improvement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andyhard

I had exactly the same problem. Two laptops which would happily connect to the wireless router on their own, but if you tried to connect both then... The first one would be okay, but the second would hang trying to establish the connection (can't remember what it was waiting for, might have been an IP address). It didn't matter in what order you tried to connect the laptops - same problem.

So today I went into the settings for the router to see if there was anything I could change to make a difference. The only change I made was to set the channel frequency to channel 11. Previously it was set to auto.

Now both laptops will happily co-exist on the wireless network.

For info - a buffalo wireless router. IBM thinkpad and HP laptop. Both are set to obtain an IP address automatically. In both, Windows (XP) is managing the wireless connection on both laptops (but I suspect this doesn't matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

Another thing is that the router may be set up to limit the clients it allows to connect via DHCP. I had this problem. If it only allows one address to be given out the second won't be able to connect.

This is usually changed via the web interface for the router.
    Just a thought

Advertisement