Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

It's not a goddamn JEEP!

Options
  • 03-11-2006 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

Over the time I've been on boards I've notice a lot of people referring to various large 4x4 or off-road vehicles as 'Jeeps'. This is what me and my mates would have called them up until the age of 6. I must say that hearing adults use the name for any generic off-roader sounds both ignorant and lazy. Modern day Jeeps are a particular range of vehicles maunfactured by the Daimler-Chrysler Corporation, the registered owners of the trademark 'Jeep'.

Land Rover, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Hyundai, Hummer, Nissan, Ssangyong, Suzuki etc. DO NOT make Jeeps.

The only other bonafide Jeep is Eugene, from the Popeye cartoons :D
    eugene-jeep.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,793 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

suppose its the same as people buying a samsung 'walkman' or a dyson 'hover'.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

el tel wrote:
    Over the time I've been on boards I've notice a lot of people referring to various large 4x4 or off-road vehicles as 'Jeeps'. This is what me and my mates would have called them up until the age of 6. I must say that hearing adults use the name for any generic off-roader sounds both ignorant and lazy. Modern day Jeeps are a particular range of vehicles maunfactured by the Daimler-Chrysler Corporation, the registered owners of the trademark 'Jeep'.

Land Rover, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Hyundai, Hummer, Nissan, Ssangyong, Suzuki etc. DO NOT make Jeeps.

eugene-jeep.gif

Jeep actually comes from the GPV acronym or General Purpose Vehicle which was invented by the yanks during WWII, so chrysler cunningly used a different variation and named it Jeep which now defines the SUV, like the poster above states Hoover is synonomous with vacuum cleaner, ipod with mp3 players, coke with cola and many other examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

haha, there are hundreds of examples of this everywhere.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

micmclo wrote:
    or calling an all mp3 players "ipods"
    or an apple mac a "pc"

a mac is a PC it's a personal computer (IBM coined the term) but again PC is now Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well the fact that most of these 4x4's are classified as "jeeps" on the Vehicle Licensing Cert probably doesn't help! Our CR-V is classed as a Jeep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Another one i really really really hate is dizzy little women who refer to their "Mini (bmw) One" as a "Mini Cooper" and then to top it off put stripes on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Must admit I was guilty of this until talking to the sales manager in Appleyard about my new company 'Jeep'.

Apparently Ballsbridge motors were advertising Mercedes new 'Jeep' last year for the launch of the updated M-Class - until Chrysler got wind of this and made them take it down.

Tannoy and Jet-Ski would be other common examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

jeez get over it.... so what if people say jeep.... every 'hoover' isn't a hoover and people say ATM machine or AIB bank which is also wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

jayok wrote:
    Well the fact that most of these 4x4's are classified as "jeeps" on the Vehicle Licensing Cert probably doesn't help! Our CR-V is classed as a Jeep!

Yes this is true, I had a CR-V (for a short while) and was surprised to see Jeep on the cert.

Better still was the as Gaelige part - Gip :eek:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

nialler wrote:
    Jeep actually comes from the GPV acronym or General Purpose Vehicle which was invented by the yanks during WWII, .

This just one of many theories and is somewhat debunked.
    nialler wrote:
    like the poster above states Hoover is synonomous with vacuum cleaner, ipod with mp3 players, coke with cola and many other examples.

I know all about generic trade marks, generic descriptors and proprietary eponyms but the point that I make is that people using the term 'Jeep' to describe any off-road vehicle sound thick.

If, for example, I read on boards someone asking "Help, I'm looking for a jeep" I would be inclined to assume that they wanted an actual Jeep; either a Cherokee (if they were a woman) or a Wrangler (if they were homosexual). On the other hand, as it is often possible to deduce from poster's poor spelling, punctuation and language that he is either a bog-man from the boondocks or a thicko townie, I would have to assume that this filthy inbred moron/ imbecilic uncouth urbanite was referring to some muck-wagon such as a Pajero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

From wikipedia:

Unlike Band-Aid and Xerox, however, the name jeep did not start out as a trademark. The term was first applied to a military vehicle, the Bantam BRC, versions of which were produced by Willys-Overland and Ford Motor Company for the Allies during World War II. The term is also used to refer generically to what are now known as SUVs, whether the vehicle in question bears the Jeep nameplate or not.

prospect wrote:
    From wikipedia:

Unlike Band-Aid and Xerox, however, the name jeep did not start out as a trademark. The term was first applied to a military vehicle, the Bantam BRC, versions of which were produced by Willys-Overland and Ford Motor Company for the Allies during World War II. The term is also used to refer generically to what are now known as SUVs, whether the vehicle in question bears the Jeep nameplate or not.

This is a useful piece. SUV is an eminently superior term to use as it refers wholly generically to the subject matter, as does the term 'off-road vehicle'. Using the term 'jeep' is doubly ambiguous as it is both specific and generic. People should really say what they mean. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

el tel wrote:

I know all about generic trade marks, generic descriptors and proprietary eponyms but the point that I make is that people using the term 'Jeep' to describe any off-road vehicle sound thick.

If, for example, I read on boards someone asking "Help, I'm looking for a jeep" I would be inclined to assume that they wanted an actual Jeep; either a Cherokee (if they were a woman) or a Wrangler (if they were homosexual). On the other hand, as it is often possible to deduce from poster's poor spelling, punctuation and language that he is either a bog-man from the boondocks or a thicko townie, I would have to assume that this filthy inbred moron/ imbecilic uncouth urbanite was referring to some muck-wagon such as a Pajero.

Calm down dude. I drive an SUV and I'd regularly refer to it as a jeep. I'm neither a bog-man or a thicko townie. As pointed out above, trademarks very often become part of the vernacular. In fact, Google is having a hard time trying to stop its trademark being genericised and becoming a verb or a noun, the reason being that once a trademark becomes part of the language, it is no longer a trademark. This is why SUV's are referred to as jeeps on the vehicle registration form without fear of lawsuits from Chrysler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nitpicking here ...but by no means is SUV a superior terminology for an off-raod vehicle. Because vehicles usually classified as Sport Utility Vehicles are neither sporty nor utilitarian and definitely not capable of going off-road. (unless you define climbing kerbs as going off road :D )

dubstub wrote:
    Calm down dude. I drive an SUV and I'd regularly refer to it as a jeep. I'm neither a bog-man or a thicko townie. As pointed out above, trademarks very often become part of the vernacular. In fact, Google is having a hard time trying to stop its trademark being genericised and becoming a verb or a noun, the reason being that once a trademark becomes part of the language, it is no longer a trademark. This is why SUV's are referred to as jeeps on the vehicle registration form without fear of lawsuits from Chrysler.

Odd that, given that Daimler Chrysler have numerous Irish registered trademarks for the word 'Jeep'. I imagine the reason SUVs are are referred to as jeeps on the vehicle registration form is more alone the lines of common ignorance rather than bravery in the face of the Daimler Chrysler Corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

el tel wrote:
    Odd that, given that Daimler Chrysler have numerous Irish registered trademarks for the word 'Jeep'. I imagine the reason SUVs are are referred to as jeeps on the vehicle registration form is more alone the lines of common ignorance rather than bravery in the face of the Daimler Chrysler Corporation.

Sorry for the hyperbole, instead of ceases to be a trademark, I should have said becomes a genericised trademark. From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

Roads that are for off-road use are called Jeep Trails - those that mean that only 4x4's from Daimler Chrysler can drive on them?

I can be quite pedantic myself but I think you just gotta let some stuff slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I hear this a lot too, but it was hardly worth starting a thread over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

el tel wrote:
    SUV is an eminently superior term

[puts on pedantic hat] No it's not, it's a term that's abused as much as Jeep. It originated to describe passenger versions of american pick-up trucks that were big and heavy ehough to be classified as light trucks. Why have a passenger vehicle that's technically a truck? Trucks aren't required to meet the same emissions regulations as cars in america. Manufacturers could no longer call them cars, because they were technically trucks, but needed something more sexy than truck, the SUV was born. The first successful (by volume sales) SUV was the ford expedition, based on the F-type pickup truck.[/puts on pedantic hat]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NiSmO wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    you mean the stuff invented by a monkeys mother ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Jesus, people are dying all over the world and all you are worried about is that someone called your suv a jeep, sounds like a touch of the dublin 4's.:o
    el tel wrote:

eugene-jeep.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 31 stephendm

Never mind whether people use the term 'Jeep' generically or not....
    ....ok well it bothers me too but I'll tell you what's extra super ANNOYING -

...people nowadays quote the fu*k out of Wiki to "prove" their points....eh-hem...yeh! (see this thread for example)

Wiki data is entered by the general public. There is absolutely nothing to say that this information isn't completly made up! Sure you can find lots that is true (...or is it!?) Please stop quoting it.....you may as well be saying "well my mate says such and such, so that proves I'm right"....quote an official/reliable/genuine source ffs!

Rant over.....phew! Now to calm down I'm off for a nice offroad drive in my Jeep...I mean Renault Laguna.

el tel wrote:

I never stated that gp was actually trademarked by the US government, so Jeep was way open for any car company to get, chrysler beat them all to it.

So you've identified the two most popular brands of "jeep" one as a woman's car the other as a homosexuals car, which one do you drive?

or what do you drive? a more "manly" vehicle

[edit] we can all be very eloquent when required, it's hard to stop being an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

nialler wrote:
    I never stated that gp was actually trademarked by the US government, so Jeep was way open for any car company to get, chrysler beat them all to it.

Chrysler beat nobody. The first civillian jeep was made by a company called willys, the company was bought out a few times before chrysler took them over in the mid to late 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

el tel wrote:
    You are showing your (immaturely young) age :o
    We were talking about Jeeps 40 years before you were born and long before Chrysler decided to hyjack the name.
    Got to go now and get on with the hoovering - with my Nilfisk.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

wex96 wrote:
    Jesus, people are dying all over the world and all you are worried about is that someone called your suv a jeep, sounds like a touch of the dublin 4's.:o
    You're an idiot. By your logic, you can NEVER, EVER complain about anything again - even being simply tired, because "people are dying all over the world"...

Wex96: "I'm a bit hungry"
    Everyone else: "STFU complaining - people are dying all over the world!"

This is a forum - people discuss and complain about things here - it's the main function. If you haven't copped that yet, then why aren't you replying to about 70% of the 'complaining/moaning' topics on Boards.ie stating "people are dying all over the world" - why did you pick JUST this topic?

With dumb illogical mentality like that, you must be a bogger....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

alias no.9 wrote:
    Chrysler beat nobody. The first civillian jeep was made by a company called willys, the company was bought out a few times before chrysler took them over in the mid to late 1980's.

+ the fact no one really cared or knew what a "Jeep" was until the 1980s or so onwards.

One general exception to the "Jeep" rule are owners of Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. These have a sufficiently strong heritage/rep to be called by their correct name.

It is owners of pointless things like CRVs and Kia Sportages that are the biggest Jeep offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

el tel wrote:
    Over the time I've been on boards I've notice a lot of people referring to various large 4x4 or off-road vehicles as 'Jeeps'. This is what me and my mates would have called them up until the age of 6. I must say that hearing adults use the name for any generic off-roader sounds both ignorant and lazy............

Somebody didn't get their Ritalin today. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

el tel wrote:

You would be inclined to assume wrong then. If someone says "Help, I'm looking for a jeep" they're most likely looking for a general purpose vehicle. Whereas if they say they're looking for a Jeep then it's obvious that they're looking for a Jeep. (Isn't pedantry an awful contagion altogether ?)

Ah sure God love ya. It's wrong to be laughin' at ya. I'm sorry. :o

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:

I stand corrected :-)

Advertisement