Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

It's not a goddamn JEEP!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I saw a Hyundai Terracan with the number plate J 8 EEP a few months back, guess you would have freaked altogether at the sight of that! :D:D:D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

This thread makes baby jesus cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

Rabies wrote:
    This thread makes baby jesus cry.

I'm sorry to hear about Baby Jesus crying but I can't stop laughing. I'm sorry el tel I'd promised myself to stop laughing at you but Do-more just went and started me off again. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

yaay for someone else bringing up the Jeep as brand name! wasnt brave enough to start it myself but yea a Jeep is a brand same as Toyota, Ford or whatever and I dont care where the name originated from Daimler Chrysler will get annoyed if you use their brand and call SUVs or 4x4s "Jeeps" . Obviously no one can stop people talking but Chyrsler Ireland have gotten radio ads pulled for using "Jeep" and the previous example of ballsbridge motors aswell! so moan about its origins all you like Daimler Chrysler own it now and they aint letting ya use it! :D

Villaricos wrote:
    yaay for someone else bringing up the Jeep as brand name! wasnt brave enough to start it myself but yea a Jeep is a brand same as Toyota, Ford or whatever and I dont care where the name originated from Daimler Chrysler will get annoyed if you use their brand and call SUVs or 4x4s "jeeps" . Obviously no one can stop people talking but Chyrsler Ireland have gotten radio ads pulled for using "jeep" and the previous example of ballsbridge motors aswell! so moan about its origins all you like Daimler Chrysler own it now and they aint letting ya use it! :D

The thing is El Tel does want to stop people talking. Stopping people using the word Jeep commercially is something different altogether. ( By the way Villaricos, you might want to edit your post. Capital letters, spelling, spacing etc., lest you be branded by El Tel as a bogman/thicko townie/filthy inbred moron or an imbecilic uncouth urbanite.)

And how BRAVE do you need to be to discuss brand names anyway ?

God help us but you'd need to have a heart of stone not to laugh at him.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

ah god no I was taking the piss really. only meant brave in the sense that he'd want to be prepared for the backlash for being so pedantic. If el tel wants to stop people saying jeep then he has a one man battle on his hands Daimler Chyrsler only care when its used commerically. I mean I'll tell people that they dont actually have a Jeep but tis only me messing coz my Dad does sell actual Jeeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

I would be happy to term them all as 'Jeeps', be it a Pajero, or an X5.

The problem i do have however, is when people who have a CR-V, an X-Trail, a Teracan, a Rav-4, an X3 or any other of their ilk, and say "Well, I drive an SUV". No you don't! They are just pretend-SUV's! Or to use a phrase I heard a few months back -> ALDI-SUV's.

Villaricos wrote:
    ah god no I was taking the piss really. only meant brave in the sense that he'd want to be prepared for the backlash for being so pedantic. If el tel wants to stop people saying jeep then he has a one man battle on his hands Daimler Chyrsler only care when its used commerically. I mean I'll tell people that they dont actually have a Jeep but tis only me messing coz my Dad does sell actual Jeeps.

Lol. I'm just taking the piss too Villaaricos. ;) Just before I go and do my Nilfisking (Sunday's the only chance I get.) you have me wondering now if it's legal to say Jeeps. Should it not be like sheep ? One sheep, two sheep etc. . I don't want to embarrass myself if I'm ever in El Tel's neck of the woods and I let slip the word Jeeps instead of Jeep. I mean NOBODY wants to be thought of as a filthy inbred moron. I think to be on the safe side I'll just stay here on the bog with my own kind. So long folks.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

sk8board wrote:
    The problem i do have however, is when people who have a CR-V, an X-Trail, a Teracan, a Rav-4, an X3 or any other of their ilk, and say "Well, I drive an SUV". No you don't! They are just pretend-SUV's! Or to use a phrase I heard a few months back -> ALDI-SUV's.
    Yeah, I hate this too - I've seen dealer ads in papers calling big SUVs "jeeps", and crappy soft-roaders "SUVs"!

This calling everything a "jeep" thing is very Hiberno-English from what I know - I lived in England for a lot of my life, and the word was not used in the same way - "Jeep" over there would usually only refer to the Chrysler brand, or in some cases vehicles very similar to the Willy's Jeep. Everything else would be a 4x4 or off-roader or whatever.

I myself would prefer to see "jeep" used for small enough vehicles that actually have a chance of being able to go off road, like a Suzuki Jimny, the old-style Land Cruiser and the Daihatsu Fourtrack. I'm not saying SUVs like Pajeros and whatever couldn't go off road, it's just most of them are never used for such purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I myself would prefer to see "jeep" used for small enough vehicles that actually have a chance of being able to go off road, like a Suzuki Jimny, the old-style Land Cruiser and the Daihatsu Fourtrack. I'm not saying SUVs like Pajeros and whatever couldn't go off road, it's just most of them are never used for such purposes.

The Pajero is actually a decent off roader, and I'd say most of them are used as workhorses! I'd take one to a jungle before a Jimny anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What about Renault calling the 3 door Megane a Coupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:
    What about Renault calling the 3 door Megane a Coupe?

Do merc not do something similar with teh new a class?

Anyway the megane coupe is as coupe as the hyundai coupe is coupe. :) I'm going to rejig that in a bit to get the word soupe in there a bit more.

It's not really like they took the saloon megane, blocked up the back doors and added a big boot. It does look like a coupe. ( as much as a lot of others anyway)

On the jeep issue, how is it any different to people calling a non sony branded portable cassette/radio/cd player a walkman or discman. I mean theres a generation of people now calling the 8cm dvd discs for camcorders "minidiscs"

Was it not toyota that called the hatchback corolla a "liftback"?:)

Stekelly wrote:
    Anyway the megane coupe is as coupe as the hyundai coupe is coupe.
    Renault_Megane_1_4_16v_3dr_Acces_Sl_98pk_3_Drs__377470.jpg It's a 3 door hatchback. FIat were calling the Stilo 3 door a Coupe for a while too

Stekelly wrote:
    Toyota have both hatchbacks and liftbacks. A liftback is generally longer than a regular hatchback.

liftbacksjz2.jpg
    (my little tribute to liftbacks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:
    Renault_Megane_1_4_16v_3dr_Acces_Sl_98pk_3_Drs__377470.jpg It's a 3 door hatchback. FIat were calling the Stilo 3 door a Coupe for a while too

TBH I assumed you meant the original megane coupe.

Do citroen not call the c3 a coupe aswell? suppose, just like anything, the shape of a coupe can change a bit. Theres no reason why a coupe cant be boxey at the back, just because it hasnt been in the past.

The fact that toyota call a long hatchback, a liftback, is the same idea.

In fairness, coining a term for a long hatchback is different to using a widely accepted existing term to describe something different
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A coupé (from past-tense conjugations of the French verb to cut) or coupe is a car body style with a close-coupled interior offering either two seats or 2+2 seating (space for two passengers up front and for two occasional passengers in the rear). Coupés generally, but not necessarily, have two doors, although automobile makers have offered four-door coupés and three- and five-door hatchback coupés, as well.

The SAE distinguishes a coupé from a sedan primarily by interior volume; SAE standard J1100 defines a coupé as a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 ft³ (0.93 m³, 934 L) of rear interior volume. A car with a greater interior volume is technically a two-door sedan, not a coupé, even if it has only two doors. Some car manufacturers may nonetheless choose to use the word coupé to describe such a model, e.g., the Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

The term however has lately become more of a marketing term for automotive manufacturers, calling any two doors (or three door) a coupé. This is mostly due to the fact that coupés in general are seen as more sporty than sedan, hence a coupé would be percieved as sportier than a 2-door sedan. Lately, more and more four door cars are being marketed as coupés, notably the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, which, while technically a sedan, is marketed as a 4-door coupé. Other companies are set to follow Mercedes' example, such as Audi with it's rumoured 4-door coupé variant of the upcoming A5

I always think of COupes as 2 door saloons!

So does that mean that a BMW Compact can be referred to correctly as a coupe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stekelly wrote:

For a while Toyota had both liftback and hatchback models of the corolla. The liftback had a boot at about a 30/40deg angle, and the hatch a much steeper tailgate.

E.g. the AE80 liftback is at the bottom right of colms pic, while the hatch is here:
    750px-Toyota_Corolla_AE82_Sweden.JPG

Incidentally, the only "Liftback" still sold here is the Avensis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

zippo22 wrote:
    The thing is El Tel does want to stop people talking. Stopping people using the word Jeep commercially is something different altogether. ( By the way Villaricos, you might want to edit your post. Capital letters, spelling, spacing etc., lest you be branded by El Tel as a bogman/thicko townie/filthy inbred moron or an imbecilic uncouth urbanite.)

And how BRAVE do you need to be to discuss brand names anyway ?

God help us but you'd need to have a heart of stone not to laugh at him.

:D:D:D:D:D

Don't you think you've overreacted to what is obviously a tongue-in-cheek thread? There really is no need to have a complex about a leg-pull. After all, don't you realise there are people dying in this world:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

JEEP is a trade name, Jeep is not- to get even more pedantic. And even in the form I've written it if I advertised something as such it would not be a breach of TM because a TM incorporates the style of such as explained to me by Brian Crowley MEP.

Which is why MTV took a case against Fianna Fáil for "Pimp my Party" published in the same font style and not TodayFM for "Pimp my Radio" in some regular font

So to be pedantic JEEP is one of many Jeeps which I think you'll find is the legal postion

ninty9er wrote:
    JEEP is a trade name, Jeep is not- to get even more pedantic. And even in the form I've written it if I advertised something as such it would not be a breach of TM because a TM incorporates the style of such as explained to me by Brian Crowley MEP.

So to be pedantic JEEP is one of many Jeeps which I think you'll find is the legal postion

Well if we're still being pedantic about it "Jeep" with a capital J IS a trademark, it is a registered trademark by Daimler Chrysler. so I'll think you'll find the legal position is that Jeep is a product, a brand and therefore not one of many but the only one. Jeep is only a name of a product, one name that a company has called their particular 4x4 vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Apologies. it's the other way round but this is the only representation that when used by a 3rd party is illegal. That includes font and general similarityJeep_logo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

who gives a boll*cks only eltel, 3 pages, does it really deserve 3 pages?

el tel wrote:
    This just one of many theories and is somewhat debunked.

I know all about generic trade marks, generic descriptors and proprietary eponyms but the point that I make is that people using the term 'Jeep' to describe any off-road vehicle sound thick.

If, for example, I read on boards someone asking "Help, I'm looking for a jeep" I would be inclined to assume that they wanted an actual Jeep; either a Cherokee (if they were a woman) or a Wrangler (if they were homosexual). On the other hand, as it is often possible to deduce from poster's poor spelling, punctuation and language that he is either a bog-man from the boondocks or a thicko townie, I would have to assume that this filthy inbred moron/ imbecilic uncouth urbanite was referring to some muck-wagon such as a Pajero.

Now THAT is what I would call an over reaction. Nothing to indicate that it's tongue-in-cheek either. It does however reveal a rather nasty mind set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

nialler wrote:
    who gives a boll*cks only eltel, 3 pages, does it really deserve 3 pages?
    if you don't give a boll*cks, then don't reply. Can you grasp that concept? You are making this topic longer - yet you complain about how long it is - how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

zippo22 wrote:
    Now THAT is what I would call an over reaction. Nothing to indicate that it's tongue-in-cheek either. It does however reveal a rather nasty mind set.

Nasty mind set? - get over yourself! Didn't you see the little picture of Eugene? He's probably crying because of you...

By the way, the Wrangler was number 2 car in OutUk.com's 2004 poll of the British Top 10 Gayest Cars. (The Smart Citycar was 1st, the Mini 5th and the Beetle Cabrio 10th).

yep thats it ninety9er, thats all Jeep themselves care about, unless its spoken aswell such as the recent ad on FM104 for the "all new Dahaitsu Terios Jeep" but I think that is limit on how pendantic we can get! :D

but el tel seeing as a UK based gay website has successfully proven every single person to drive the Wrangler worldwide is homosexual Id love to know your basis on the Cherokee is for women comment? so curious....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

sk8board wrote:
    I would be happy to term them all as 'Jeeps', be it a Pajero, or an X5.

Why is it ok for a Pajero to call itself a Jeep but not a Teracan? They're both old school ladder frame chassis with selectable 4 wheel drive and low range gearbox, in fact, an older version of the pajero was built by hyundai and sold in some markets as the galloper, the Terracan chassis and transmission could well be an evolution of this.

Why is it ok for an X5 to call itself a jeep but not an X3? They're both just jacked up estates running the same 4 wheel drive transmissions.

Personally I think the best way to distinguish between a poser version and a functional version of an SUV / Jeep / GP / Off Roader / Soft Roader or whatever you want to call them, is the presence or absence of a towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

alias no.9 wrote:
    Personally I think the best way to distinguish between a poser version and a functional version of an SUV / Jeep / GP / Off Roader / Soft Roader or whatever you want to call them, is the presence or absence of a towbar.

Just to really screw up this thread ...:D

After the absence of a proper four wheel drive system (i.e. at least a lockable or non-existent centre differential and low range gear box) a TOWBAR is the one thing that seriously impedes any 4x4 in the really rough stuff. See "departure angle" & "ground clearance" and such.

If you need to trailer two bullocks out of a muddy field, get a feckin tractor :D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

peasant wrote:
    Just to really screw up this thread ...:D
    Wasn't it the original landcrusier where you had to reverse about 12 feet to engage the 4x4. Of course this wasn't possible when you were already stuck.

The orginal derivation was "General Purpose" so it's got to be adaptable and useful, SUV's with the hard top and the back seats that don't fold away don't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

This is a quote from IOL made by the drink-driving Tipperary Councillor Michael Fitzgerald on how the mandatory drink-driving crackdown by Gardaí was damaging the culture of rural Ireland:
    “I have neighbours, and I have friends, and I have people that go to the pub every single night of the week and they drink three or four pints and they go home, they drive home in the jeep or in the car. They are not drunk they are well able to take it.

Ignorant mucksavages and 'jeep' nomenclature?

I rest my case :p

Advertisement