Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test - Deansgrange

Options
  • 03-11-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

So 10 months after I applied I finally got the letter to say I have my driving test coming up. As part of this outsourcing of driving tests i'll be doing it with SGS in the new test centre in Deansgrange.

Just wondering if anybody has done it here yet and if they have any feedback about the route etc.

Also there seems to be an unholy rush on driving lessons. ISM are booked up for weeks. Can anyone recommend another school.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Anybody done this route yet? quite anxious to find out details so if anyone could help it would be appreciated.....

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I had my test there a month ago, passed first time :D

I would have recommended ISM myself- the tester took me on a nearly identical route my instructor showed me (Dermot from ISM). The actual tester was dead sound, we spent most of the time talking while sitting in traffic (my test was at 8.30am).

As to routes they take: (afaik)

Deansgrane Road: (I was only shown this once, and can't remember tbh apparently its used rarely)

Kill Avenue: Apparently they never use this

Clonkeen Road: (Their favourite apparently, this is where nearly all my driving lessons took place) You are taken into either Meadowvale or Beachpark Drive for your turnabout/RAC, depending on time traffic, you might then be taken to the end of the road, across the N11 and into Cabinteely.

According to my tester, their pass rate was running at 68% so you should be alright. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Thanks C.D appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

[
    Also there seems to be an unholy rush on driving lessons. ISM are booked up for weeks. Can anyone recommend another school.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

The test routes in Deansgrange are fairly straight forward I am a driving instrutor who works in the area i am not plugging for business but check my website and give me a ring if you wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 betsydinks

How do you apply for a test in the Deansgrange Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

You can't apply directly I don't think to Deansgrange. All I can tell you is I applied for my test with my address being in south Dublin. I think it could be luck of the draw where you get.

I passed my test in Deansgrange. The tester was grand and she was very friendly and not too harsh imo. I have heard things about Churchtown being tougher. To be honest, if you drive the way you should, it shouldn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I applied for my test South Dublin (I live in Churchtown so I know the route) but I got a test with the SGS for 6th Nov in Deansgrange.
    Hopefully it will go ok - as Dr. Dodger said -- if I drive properly - shouldn't be bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Good luck with your tests!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I done my test there in April and it was fine. The tester was a lady and she was very friendly, explaning that she wasn't allowed to talk to me during the test. I can't remember the test route but the roads are handy enough to drive around.

Just watch your speed if you get taken onto the Dual carriageway don't go too slow when on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

Hey
    Ive my driving test in Deansgrange tomorrow and the routes that my instructor have shown me are:

turn right out of centre, then turn right at bakers, keep going straight past hospital then turn left down to sallynoggin. At the roundabout take 2nd exit, at next roundabout take 3rd exit. Turn left at next traffic lights (beside church) then i think its down past cbc monkstown, take 2nd exit and then before bluepool swimming place, turn right at traffic light onto richmond grove, turn left at end of road, (reverse is usually done around this area) then at end of that road turn right onto stradbrook road. At the end of that road turn left onto deansgrange road. Head back to test centre. I know the other routes but not enough to write them down. hope that helps somebody. i found google maps helped me find my bearings.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

gillymayb wrote: »
    Hey
    Ive my driving test in Deansgrange tomorrow and the routes that my instructor have shown me are:

turn right out of centre, then turn right at bakers, keep going straight past hospital then turn left down to sallynoggin. At the roundabout take 2nd exit, at next roundabout take 3rd exit. Turn left at next traffic lights (beside church) then i think its down past cbc monkstown, take 2nd exit and then before bluepool swimming place, turn right at traffic light onto richmond grove, turn left at end of road, (reverse is usually done around this area) then at end of that road turn right onto stradbrook road. At the end of that road turn left onto deansgrange road. Head back to test centre. I know the other routes but not enough to write them down. hope that helps somebody. i found google maps helped me find my bearings.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!!!:(

How did you get on then? My test is in Deansgrange on Friday, I've been driving for quite a while and would consider myself a good driver but the test is a whole different story and I haven't had much time to practice, too busy in final year!!!

Just have to remember to keep a clear head!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

Test went well, passed with only two marks on page. Thank god. I was brought a different routee to any of the ones id practised, cant really remember much of it but turn about and hill start were done in housing estate beside the park and then the reverse was done in an estate on pottery road, just off johnstown road. They are really nice up there. Guy was friendly enough, didnt speak except for instructions and had a palm top instead of sheet of paper. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

I also passed, went some route I'd never gone before as well, down to bakers corner, turn right, head up but not as far as the graduate roundabout, turn right, around sallynoggin, close to dun Laoghaire, past the graveyard and back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ck66

A brilliant instructor i used is based in Killiney. <SNIP>of motoring, he was so nice and patient. He knew the deansgrange test route really well and did the pretest with me (he spent nearly 3 hours with me!! even though i had only paid for 2 :p )

Highly recommend him, i think he has a website also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

Misses had her test there last week and passed first time.meant to be pretty easy route :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I did my test in Churchtown, although i live in Sallynoggin!! My tester was very nice...maybe I'm only saying this cos i passed! But he was grand.
    I had a great instructor, very patient. I went from not driving at all, having ten lessons to passing my test in the space of 3-4 months. Everyone i know who trained with him: 1 friend, 2 nieces and 2 nephews passed with him first time.
    Pm me for his number. He said he didn't think <SNIP> was great because you could have a different instructor every time, a view echoed by some friends.

In fairness the churchtown route is quite easy as well, if anything easier, cos they didn't bring me on any roundabouts or dualers, just residential streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 idealist

hi,
    I got my test in Deansgrange in June and it would be great if you could send me number to that instructor

Cheers

Kenjd wrote: »
    I did my test in Churchtown, although i live in Sallynoggin!! My tester was very nice...maybe I'm only saying this cos i passed! But he was grand.
    I had a great instructor, very patient. I went from not driving at all, having ten lessons to passing my test in the space of 3-4 months. Everyone i know who trained with him: 1 friend, 2 nieces and 2 nephews passed with him first time.
    Pm me for his number. He said he didn't think <SNIP> was great because you could have a different instructor every time, a view echoed by some friends.

In fairness the churchtown route is quite easy as well, if anything easier, cos they didn't bring me on any roundabouts or dualers, just residential streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Just Pm'd you idealist. Details within.
    Sorry for that Wishbone Ash, i think i included a business name there?

Advertisement