Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dirty Petrol

Options
  • 03-11-2006 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

My car engine started to lose power yesterday and go's and idles roughly. It still starts. I got petrol the night before and either it is dirty or the fact that I drove along a cobbled street for about 1 km maybe stirred all the s h i t up from the bottom of the tank. I got a bottle of stuff from a car shop today is supposed to clean the engine. Is this enough to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

My car engine started to lose power yesterday and go's and idles roughly. It still starts. I got petrol the night before and either it is dirty or the fact that I drove along a cobbled street for about 1 km maybe stirred all the s h i t up from the bottom of the tank. I got a bottle of stuff from a car shop today is supposed to clean the engine. Is this enough to fix it?

I dunno if that engine cleaning stuff works! My car is also misfiring and it also might be down to dirty petrol. Where abouts did you get the petrol? Lets just say that I got mine really cheap and it was in Dundrum! I think we all know where I'm talkin about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Magown3 wrote:
    I dunno if that engine cleaning stuff works! My car is also misfiring and it also might be down to dirty petrol. Where abouts did you get the petrol? Lets just say that I got mine really cheap and it was in Dundrum! I think we all know where I'm talkin about

The one with the name of a fruit in Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

Statoil?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Daniel O'Donnell's you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think he means Apple, just down the road from Ashton's pub. To answer the OP's question, the fuel filter may be blocked up. You could try changing it, see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Magown3 wrote:

Is that dirty petrol there?I put Redex in the other nite just to be sure...if it is I'll take my business elsewhere....for the sake of couple of cent...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

thewing wrote:
    Is that dirty petrol there?I put Redex in the other nite just to be sure...if it is I'll take my business elsewhere....for the sake of couple of cent...
    This is all anecdotal, but I have been told before that the petrol in Tesco isn't great. That said, I've filled up there a couple of times myself without having any problems afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

The problem with buying petrol in Dundrum is that for the sake of saving a few cents, it has become a battle of wits and a not too pleasant experience. Lately I have been buying Texaco across the road from the Bottle Tower and with their Techron additive, which means the car will run more efficiently, I feel I am getting better value. It is a cent dearer than Tesco per litre, but you can pull straight in off the road and you don't have to queue, nor do you have idiots blowing their horn at you trying to get you to pull forward to pumps that have a cone blocking them, oblivious to Mr/Mrs impatient behind you. Then you don't have queue hoppers that can't wait until somebody returns from paying for juice, has anyone see people go up to the front of the forecourt and reverse into position and clog up the whole garage, blocking in a person that has just paid for petrol? Then of course I find the sales assistants very surly and unhelpful. God help you if they can't get your Laser card to work, it works everywhere else guys!! Anyways, I am sure the few cent you save are wasted by sitting in the queue. Is it really worth spending 20 minutes at a garage to save 60 cents max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anan1 wrote:
    This is all anecdotal, but I have been told before that the petrol in Tesco isn't great. That said, I've filled up there a couple of times myself without having any problems afterwards.

Tesco's petrol is supplied by Statoil who also get the same supply as all Shell garages in the country as all fuel distribution rights and ownership is from one company. Tesco fuel should be the cleanest in the country as it has a big turn around and fuel isn't sitting long before it's sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Anyways, I am sure the few cent you save are wasted by sitting in the queue. Is it really worth spending 20 minutes at a garage to save 60 cents max?

There is the added bonus of Tesco Clubcard points, which, over the course of three months, could save you €10 or more in grocery vouchers if you fill up regularly.

I fill up in Tesco Finglas, and have no problems with the quality of the petrol. Queues and blocked off pumps can be a problem, but I think its worth the couple of minutes extra. That's not to say that on occasion I have seen the queue and went back out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The TEXACO station at Fosterstown in Swords claims to be the first service station in Europe to serve petrol with Techron at no extra charge.

They say it prevents harmful deposit build up in new engines and removes carbon from older ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

They say it prevents harmful deposit build up in new engines and removes carbon from older ones!

Removing carbon and crap from older engines isn't always a great idea I would think. You may well end up shifting gunk from one place to another, probably to the end of an injector, or else just ending up with increased oil consumption as the tiny gap heretofore blocked by carbon deposits is now is now letting oil past.*

*all conjecture and hypothesis, but I would think if a car is going OK it would be best not to go messing.

I would also think that the cleanest petrol/diesel will be from a service station that has very few deliveries. Every time the tanks are filled, the gunge at the bottom gets swirled about, and it takes about a day for it to settle again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It actually doesn't matter now cos the car was stolen on friday night. This is the 2nd time in 2 months.

Advertisement